“Bed bugs!!!!!! Be aware” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kaew Kong Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Patong
Kaew Kong Mansion
Ranked #321 of 397 Patong B&B and Inns
“Bed bugs!!!!!! Be aware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

The guest house looked clean on first inspection. After a night in the town we went home and there were what looked like small beetles on the bed. We brushed them off and got our sleeping bag inners out to protect us from the bed. However we woke to find lots of blood on the bed and over our inners. I spoke to the lady at reception and asked for our money back for the prepaid second night stay due to bugs in the bed. This was ok. During the day the noticeable pattern of the bed bugs started to appear all down both my arms, hands, neck and a few on my legs, stomach and back. As we got a refund I thought I would just show the lady the marks it left. My point was so they could treat the bed. She refused point blank and begun to get nasty. She didn't want to know. A total pointless exercise!! Good luck to whoever is in the room next!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Felicia C

Families
Business
Tokyo, Japan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

My friend and I didn't actually stay here but had a couple of negative experiences nonetheless.
We decided to rent a couple of scooters from the mansion as it was advertised to be 100 baht / day (cheapest I've seen during this low-season). Met with the lady that ran the front counter and rented the scooters without a hitch. However, when ventured out toward Karon beach, my buddy discovered his back brakes were basically ill equipped to handle downslope conditions and wound up in a ditch on the side of the road. Alright, I accept that it was partially our responsibility to check the brakes. Fair enough. The issue we had was when we wanted to exchange the bike with one with actual working brakes. We ran into the infamous (from the other posts) older man with a stocky build and a dark tan. He started yelling furiously at us even before we could explain the faulty brake issue. He has a serious problem.

Anyway, we survived that onslaught of verbal abuse and went on our way with the relatively safer bike. When we returned the bikes the next day, I decided to inquire about the rooms. The pictures looked decent and at 280 for a Single and 300 for a Double, I figured I might as well. Got quoted 350 for the Double despite a large banner showing otherwise waving just outside the front desk counter. Whatever...Very glad I checked this place out on Tripadvisor. Seems there are cheaper and better B&Bs herein Patong which I'll give my business to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

During my one month island hopping in Thailand, this place is definitely considered a great value choice for Patong acommodation. When all other travellers spent at least 500Baht for air-con rooms, as a solo, 300Baht for a single bed with strong air-con, nice shower n cable TV, I m grateful.

Totally agree with other travellers' comment on the elder Thai man's rudeness. I simply ignored it and didn't let him affect my stay. Lady staff is all nice tho.

PS. The Thai little restaurant accorss the guesthouse is very authentic n cheaper than most places in Patong.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Phuket, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2012

I should have read the reviews online before staying at this place. I'm from the United States and stayed at this place for one night and so far it's been the biggest regret of my trip after two months here (second time visiting Thailand). A friend and I stayed at this place last night (March 2012) at 550 baht a night for 2 beds and air con. Upon checking in, the man at the counter (most likely in his 50's or 60's, short black hair, a little stocky) immediately had an angry attitude with me, as if he was mad at me for even attempting to stay here. I understand that many foreigners come to Thailand and disrespect Thais or their customs for whatever reasons. So when a Thai is in a bad mood in an area that is overpopulated with westerners, I will usually just try to be understanding of that and brush it off and feel sorry for them for having to deal with so many rude visitors everyday. So when I asked the man if he had any rooms available and he grunted at me with an angry attitude, I tried to be polite and soft spoken and brush it off. I asked if we could see the room and he moaned as if he I was really inconveniencing him and then ran up the stairs as fast as he could with my friend and I trying to keep up with him. He showed us the room and I smiled and said I would take it. I brushed off his bad attitude and made the mistake of getting the room. The room itself was ok, a bit small but considering the area it was a good price for two beds. The area where you shower is especially small and I found it difficult to shower in such a small area (it's the typical "shower next to the toilet" type bathroom but in this room the shower was right between the door and the sink so it made it very difficult). Anyways, I wanted to leave the place a good review and post a video about it online for others who were looking for budget places because I'm not too picky and usually stay in the cheapest (and sometimes dumpiest) places I can find. I wasn't going to mention the bad attitude I encountered when I checked in, assuming he was just having a bad day. But upon checking out the man was again rude to me and I asked if I could see the paper that showed the prices of all the rooms again so I could show people what they can expect if they come in mid season. He then became very angry with me and actually started yelling at me and said "if you want to take picture you go outside! go!". I then, in a soft spoken and polite manner, tried to tell him that I liked the room and wanted to tell other farangs that it was a good place to stay, and he just looked down at whatever he was writing on without looking at me and pointed his hand to the street with an angry face. I wasn't videotaping him or anybody else as I understand some people don't like to have their faces on the internet, but he was just angry and rude from check-in to check-out and now I'm wondering why I even decided to stay here after his initial behavior upon checking in. This was by-far the worst customer service experience I've ever had in my life, whether in my own country or places I've visited. I've been ripped off by taxi drivers and had them demand more money from me then we agreed upon (or they'd call the police) and this was even a worse experience than that type of one. Not the first time somebody's been rude to me, but it was just so unprovoked and unexpected. It put me in a bad mood for most of the day, so if you plan to stay in Patong and have a good time, do not stay at this place. This guy will kill your good mood. Also, there's signs on the walls about charging you extra for "blood and excrement on the sheets", so that should have been my first tip-off of what type of place this is. It seems like the type of place and management that would try to rip you off or blame you for something you didn't do and charge you extra for it, such as a hole in a wall or a stain on a sheet and what not. Stay away from this place, there's other budget hotels in the same area that I'm sure would offer a much friendlier experience. It definitely seems like he has a grudge against farangs, but this place is in the center of everything so he probably gets so much business that he can afford to be rude to every visitor that comes to his place. They have all types of services advertised in the room like tours, laundry, taxis, massage etc., but they must be crazy to think that anybody would order any of these services with such a negative man running things downstairs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Cal J
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

I didnt even make it passed the front desk, the old Thai bloke in the reception caused me to change my mind about staying at this hotel. He is very very rude and a very angry person. My friend had the same problem a week prior and also changed hotels. Stay away from this one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AustraliaScott
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2009

The signs on the walls as you scale the stairs should've been the give away 'If there is excrement or blood on the sheets you will be charged an extra 200 baht' The room we were given had no windows. The aircon was not aircon but the unit with a fan in it. The room had a headache inducing smell. It was damp and there was mildew everywhere.

The night we spent there was interrupted by men and women arguing over the price of a night. The hotel could only be described as a knocking shop.

I went down to ask if I could change the room and was told that I would have to pay for a new room as well as the one I was in. I said that I would pay extra but not for two. Although we had booked for two nights we ended up leaving after one.

I suggest just walking 100 yards up the soi to Terracotta and pay an extra 100 baht.

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple