“Far from 4 stars”

Sawaddi Patong Resort & Spa
Ranked #43 of 334 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I visited Sawaddi during last years Christmas Period and to be quite honest I wasn't very impressed and to I'm not too sure how it received Trip Advisor's winner for certificate of excellence.

The Check In was standard and nothing more.

The Room was a standard room and I have stayed at 3 star resorts with similar rooms. We had a room that faced the street and it had a balcony but there were no chairs and table so I wasn't sure of it's actual purpose. The bed was quite firm but I did manage to sleep well. The cleaning of the room on a day to day basis was substandard.

The staff - one of the few positives of this place was most of the staff seemed to be polite and welcoming.

The Pool - I'm not sure why you would leave the pool decking works until peak period and these works were until 11am, so if you wanted to relax by the pool prior to that forget it, banging and drilling was sure to keep you far from relaxed. So 11am comes around and the maintainence people leave and you can finally relax. That is until the pool water jets come on and if you are on the wrong sun lounger prepare to be soaked with water. It came to the point where we requested these jets to be turned off and to their credit they did so immediately. I found the pool temperature to be cool and refreshing.

The Food - I wasn't a big fan of the food, the satay wasn't the best I've had. I actually preferred to walk 50 metres down the road for lunch. The breakfast was well below my expectations and although I had free breakfast included with my booking I decided to eat elsewhere on my last morning

The Location - I not going to criticise the location as I was aware when I booked how far it was from the beach. It's only about a 10 minute walk to Patong Beach and about 15 minutes to Bangla Road. Yes it is in the back blocks of Patong but I actually didn't mind that.

The Check Out was smooth.

Overall, for the price and the peak time of year it was good value. As far as being classified 4 star, no way. I would give Sawaddi Patong an overall score of 4 out of 10.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
CRM-BHMAsia, General Manager at Sawaddi Patong Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Greetings from Sawaddi Patong Resort

I was very disappointed to read your review as it seems somehow and somewhere we have failed to live up to your expectations, even though as you say yourself, we have received the TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence and indeed our ranking puts us in the top 10% of all hotels in Patong, according to guest reviews.

Sadly we are not able it seems to please all the people all of the time. The vast majority of our guest’s write very positive reviews and often comment about the comfy and spacious rooms and variation of food at our three outlets. However, I can without doubt accept the issue of the swimming pool decking areas and the associated renovation work; I can imagine this must have seemed odd and caused you some frustration. It was however, unavoidable and had to be done with immediate effect due to unexpected damage. The alternative to this was to leave it as it was, which as I am sure you would agree would have left you with far more to complain about.

Interesting to note that you did in fact enjoy the location, we too believe we have the very best of both worlds tucked away in a quiet back street to assure guests of a great nights sleep, but still not too far away to be super convenient to the beach and main shopping and night life areas.

Again, we are sorry that we were unable to live up to your expectations sir.

Best wishes from the team at Sawaddi patong.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Upon check in the bellboy took us up to our room. Having asked for a poolside room I was a bit shocked to see my "poolside view" to be looking over a muddy block of land & my king size bed was 2 single mattresses pushed together with a king size sheet over it. Before the bellboy unloaded our bags I told him I was not taking this room. So we then proceeded to a pool side room which was a lot better, but I think for the price you would be better off on the beach. And too say sawaddi is away from the madness is a lie. Every time u step out onto the street you feel like you are getting knocked over by a vehicle, which was scary at the start but you kinda get used to it. Will definitely not come with young children. The pool was good, no mad crowds as mentioned before. Above all it was a very average stay, breakfast was the same every morning it got a bit sickening and missed a few of the buffets and being a vegetarian you do not have much variety. We also chose to check out at 7.30pm instead of the normal 2pm to which they charged 1500 baht. I understand you have to pay for a late check out but that rate is for an overnight stay & upon arrival I didn't check in till 8pm so I did feel ripped off. I didn't hate it but I won't stay here again, having stayed at the 4 star holiday inn in phuket, now that hotel is truly 4 star & will defiantly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 27, 2013

“Fantastic”

My husband and I stayed here for our mini First phase of our honeymoon in the first week of Jan 2013 and we surely did love it.
We had booked via Cobone in Dubai, and were greeted with a beautifully decorated room as a surprise to begin our Honeymoon- Altough we weren’t booked on a honeymoon suite package.
It is located only a short 10 minute walk away Bangla Road/Jungceylon and the nightlife so it is far enough away from the noise but still very close. The room was great and had all the amenities that you would need. The WIFI coverage was excellent with good range throughout the Hotel.
The highlight of the Hotel would most definitely be the friendly staff, However it would be great if their English skills would be polished a little finer. Nonetheless they would always be smiling ready to show you around and assist when ever required.
The breakfast was like any other buffet breakfast. But got monotonous after the second day as there was no variety and the spread was by and far the same on all days.
Their 'Vara' spa was definitely overpriced, but we decided to go for the Romantic couples package and we did surely love it. Although we would have loved if there were no interruptions through our massages. The only complaint would be that we had to remind them to give us receipt for our freebies. We got a BBQ Skewer meal and health drink free with the Package at the spa.
We would definitely recommend this place and would love to stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a pool facing room, which definitely had a good view of the pool. However it can get a bit n...
1  Thank Davina T
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Sawaddi Patong is located off the main centre in Patong, in a somewhat quiet location, but not good, as it is too far from the beach. In case you get a room to the swimming pool it should be quiet but not to the roadside.
Breakfast is not at all suitable for a 4*resort, same as the rooms, the standard is not ok, charging a regular 4* price.
Their Spa is ridiculously overpriced, same as any additional service one would like to use (transfers, etc.)
Overall, cannot recommend this one.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I picked to stay at this hotel after we lost our accommodation at the Baan Yuree, as it was in our price range. The room was very nice, the bed was spacious and comfortable, and it had a bath and a little table to enjoy our tea in the afternoons, TV, and the aircon was also very good. What made our stay was how friendly the staff were, whether it be bell boys, reception or the pool bar, they were all so friendly and happy to help, and if they didn't understand my english they always asked someone else and it was sorted. The breakfast was good, but after three days became the same, they always had fresh fruit and yoghurt, bacon, eggs, pancakes/french toast, crossiants and breads, asian foods and more.

The location was great, it was a five minute walk to Jungceylon, and from there it's a two minute walk to Bangla road, there's also a shuttle at 10 , 1 and 3 o'clock if you don't want to walk. When you walk out of the hotel, to the right there is also a taxi stand, a little mini mart and an "EAT24" restaurant, which is great if you want a cheap Thai meal, or are too late for room service which stops at 11. We didn't use the spa as it was a bit out of our price range, so we used the spa in Jungceylon which was great.

The only bad thing about the Sawaddi is how badly the hallways echo, especially at night. There were a few Contiki tours staying at our hotel, so when they were coming home early in the mornings and being rowdy, that got annoying really quickly. Also, people arriving early in the morning; their suitcases on the floors echo really loudly as well, so if you are a light sleeper, I recommend asking for a pool side room, as I don't think they have hallways that echo as bad.

Checkout was at 12 noon, and we weren't going to airport until 7 at night. The hotel had a changeroom and provided towels, so we were still able to shower after a swim that day. We thought that was great that the hotel provided that, it's those little extra things that went a long way. Definitely recommend this hotel.

2  Thank Kara929
Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the first part of our honeymoon and loved it. It is a short 5/10 minute walk away Bangla Road and the nightlife so it is far enough away from the noise but still very close.
The room was great. comfy bed with a tv and dvd player and an aircon that work beautifully. The breakfast was like any other buffet breakfast.
Their 'Vara' spa was reasonably priced, but there were a few interruptions throughout our massages which was a bit disappointing.
The only complaint would be that there is a bit of mould stain in the bathroom, but beside that everything was clean.
We would defiantly stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
CRM-BHMAsia, General Manager at Sawaddi Patong Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Greetings from the team at Sawaddi Patong Resort
We are thrilled that you chose to come and spend part of your honeymoon here, even more thrilled that we made your memorable moment as good as it could be! However, a little sorry to hear about the interruptions you experienced during your Spa service. Please be assured we will not be allowing this to occur again.

Perhaps you will come back to see us again on your first anniversary, a nice stroll down memory lane for you. Please do drop us a line directly if you decide ever to come back to Patong…
Sincere best wishes from the team at Sawaddi Patong!

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We purchased a groupon voucher for this hotel so werent sure what to expect. The hotel is in walking distance to bangla road but is far away to escape the madness of the main strip. Our room was a deluxe room which had a pool view and it was lovely. We even had a rose petal love heart on our bed when we arrived. The room was quite modern and had and inbuilt dvd player in the tv which was good. The mini bar in room was also reasonably priced. We visited the spa one day and it was very nice. The staff were all amazing and went out of their way to help us every time. They even remembered our room number. I can not fault them in any way. The breakfast was awesome and had so much variety everyday. We also ate dinner at the restaurant and the food was delicious. We booked a tour through the front desk, we just gave them our room number and they organised it all! Overall i recommend to anyone to stay here, i will definately go back!

Room Tip: Get a pool view
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple