“Nice hotel but very far from beach.”

Baan Yuree Resort and Spa
Ranked #119 of 329 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The hotel is nice quiet place to stay but its very far from the market and the beach. Also, it is at top of very steep slope. there is shuttle service available for drop off at various points but still very far from market. The staff was friendly and kept the room clean.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Muskaan2322

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I have learned a lesson here...do not go for a great looking deal when there are as many bad reviews especially by senior reviewers. I thought that the property looked great online and there were some good reviews. I am usually lazy and do not review properties but I feel that it is my duty to warn fellow travelers about this place.
First, as many mentioned below location is inconvenient, steep hill, out of the way etc. Room air conditioning was lousy, not fixed even after repeated complaints, bathroom is messy without shower curtains, We were given a room at the end of dingy corridor and there were supplies piled all around making it feel like a B-grade hotel.
Staff was incredibly incompetent and rude, even small requests like a bottle of water or a towel required tons of follow up. The front desk staff was the worst...any request was promptly ignored and on follow up response was 'we have informed the department, now you have to wait". Check in took forever because the girl at the reception pointedly ignored us and talked on the phone for what seemed like an eternity.
Breakfast was lousy, same inedible food for the 4 days we were there and the only thing that we could eat was the fruits but there again there was no variety.
If there is one hotel you should avoid in Phuket,.. this is it!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Frank_C194
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Recently stayed at this property. Unlike the other reviews, strangely i had an excellent experience.
the rooms were very spacious and the bathroom was very clean. i wanted to upgrade to a pool view room and i was offered a free upgrade. The staff were very pleasant. The food could improve. I bought a pack for $305 for 7 nighs and i was offered a free massage and a cocktail.
My Word - Highly Recommended

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Vin907
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I made a mistake by not reading traveller reviews before booking this hotel. It seemed like a good deal but after staying there I would advise you not to stay there even if they pay you.
The hotel is located inconveniently on top of a hill and away from all the attractions.
My room was run down and had a funny smell. When I asked them to change my room they said they were sold out and it was not possible.
The bathroom is horribly designed with a hand held shower and no shower curtaim so the entire place gets wet and messy.
The Air con in my room was not working and in spite of repeated complaints no one came to fix it and they refused to change my room.
But what really makes the place is a nightmare is the service. The staff at the front desk is unbelievably rude and obnoxious.
After repeated complaints the girl in the reception said that there was no other room and I could leave if I didn't like it but they would not refund my money.
The manager was yelling in the lobby and telling me that the previous guest in the room didn't complain so I shouldn't complain.
They ruined my holiday and it is truly the worst experience I have ever had.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank sandy v
Reviewed January 22, 2014

8 months of backpacking around the world, staying in hostels and home stays and this resort was absolutely the worst experience I had. I decided to book a week at this resort when my Mother, who has never traveled internationally, and took a huge leap to visit me while I was in Thailand. I figured a resort in a town like Phuket would ease her nerves and worries about her daughter traveling the area solo. Big mistake apparently.

The facilities were not terrible. I thought the room and the pool area were very nice. On our first night we even splurged on a nice dinner show that the resort put on and released floating paper lanterns from the rooftop. All very nice, and a good start. Unfortunately, this is the only good thing I can say about Baan Yuree

The general location of the resort is very inconvenient, atop a large, steep hill, and nowhere near the beach or nightlife the city offers. The resort offers a shuttle about every hour so this isn't so bad, but don't be fooled by the dishonest description online.

The service and staff are absolutely what makes Baan Yuree a terrible choice for your stay. To start, I tried calling to confirm my stay and the people were rude, acting like no one there spoke a bit of English. I had to finally ask my Thai friend to call. When we got there our taxi driver had refused to drive up the hill to drop us off so we had had to walk up the giant hill with our bags in mid-day heat, my mom was white and shaking with exhaustion and the people at the front desk laughed at her. I had to ask them to offer her a cool glass of water. To make things worse, throughout the week my mothers sandals were stolen from the pool and $150 in cash was stolen out of the safe in our room. The front desk was rude and ended up running us around, telling us we had to wait until the manager got there the following day to check the tapes so we could see exactly who came into our room that day. The manager ended up getting caught up in meetings and then left the property without seeing us. Finally at the end of our stay we had to seek her out and she let us know there is nothing they could do but we could go to the police and file a report. We decided not to waste any more of our time.

My entire 8 month journey around Asia, Australia and Europe, staying in hostels and dorm rooms, this is the only time I had something stolen from me. In a so called 4-star resort, I didn't expect it, or to be treated so poorly. I hate that my moms trip was sullied by my poor choice in booking this resort. Don't make my mistake!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Kristen_Wanders
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

To begin with the location is inconvenient. You hAve to have your own rented car.
Staff at the reception is extremely rude. They asked for our credit details along with the cvv number...when we asked them why they needed it...the lady at the reception answered arrogantly that it was asked to all customers so we should just give it.
Apparently we had superior rooms so we wouldn't get rooms with a good view. How strange is that now ??
The so called luxury rooms were average rooms. For the money we paid they were really disappointing rooms.
Air conditioners not working properly...no proper house keeping...
Breakfast was too bad...we had to stuff ourselves with fruits to feel full..
Twice we requested the staff to refill certain food that was over ... But no one bothered to do that...
And to ruin it further when we had to check out and called for the porter, we were told that their porter is nt around so we shld take our own luggage...
For the money we paid to stay here..PATHETIC
Definitely not recommended...

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Alok B
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I stayed at the hotel during the beginning of December 2013, during my solo trip around South East Asia. This was my experience of the hotel, which obviously would be different for each person who ventures and experiences things differently, so please do read this bearing this in mind. Having said this, I strongly urge all to PLEASE do thorough research before booking at this hotel, as this hotel was one of the worse experiences of my life, and really dampened my experience of Phuket.
Service, Quality, Value:
The Hotel service is actually disgusting. Furthermore, the pictures online are deceiving and the reception is extremely unfriendly and unpleasant and downright rude. The pools are decent, but that is about the only thing that is decent about this establishment, and if you are coming to Phuket to use a pool service, then please consider the following facts of the hotel: Payment is required upfront before checking in, so that you are locked in at staying at the hotel upon viewing of the room they allocate to you. This should actually be illegal, given the state of their rooms allocated AFTER collecting payment.
Through my experiences of other travellers and further research now done, this is one of the most expensive 1star hotels in whole of Phuket (do not believe them when they exclaim they are a 4 star resort, this is NOT the case!), so best to do your research and get a better hotel (four star) for the same price, if you are looking for a high end resort. Otherwise, do not stay this far up from Patong beach, or even on Patong beach, rather look at other beaches which are a bit less vicious.
The room stayed in was poorly finished, with many fittings not working, holes in the wall, and WORSE of all: an extremely dirty shower. There was residue of the last persons’ shower on the door still. It is absolutely shocking and I think this hotel violates many laws and regulations, even by local standards.
I am appalled that such a service has burned me $130 a night. Honestly, I would not have even paid $1 for this hotel.
Location:
The location of the hotel was not very central in Patong beach, and so, taxis are not willing to go up the hill that the hotel is situated on. They will drop you at the bottom with luggage or will demand an extra $30USD to go up the 300m hill as it is so steep, which is absurd! Most tuk tuks cannot even make the hill, so you struggle to find a willing driver to take you up even for the steeper price.
Unfortunately, the taxi mafia in Phuket are unreasonable and so you eventually surrender in paying absurd amounts to go back to this terrible excuse of a hotel. They should advertise how inconvenient there location actually is and how this hidden cost will affect their customers, as travelling back to the hotel each day was a nightmare.
The hill that they exclaim keeps all noise from Patong away is also a vicious lie, as there is plenty of noise up the hill so please do not think it is a “haven” from Patong as some have exclaimed it to be. If you want a haven from Patong, don’t stay in Patong! It’s that simple.
Lastly, the “4star” hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service which basically runs at the most inconvenient times, sometimes coming 20 minutes late, other 15 minutes before time and leaving before the designated time. Staff are, naturally, unsympathetic and say that you must wait there 30 minutes before time! And so, to avoid this, you end up taking taxi’s just to move around which, in Phuket, are extremely expensive.
Breakfast:
The hotel have the worst breakfast I have ever encountered in my 25 years of existence, with absolutely no variety, empty platters that are not refilled, no hot food breakfast options!, and no cutlery or plates for that matter. It took them 20 minutes to receive a plate to dish on, after which they told me the breakfast was now closed and they took all the little remaining options away. Upon my second attempt at their breakfast service, I asked if an omelette could please be made and the staff members went away to the back until it past 10:31am after which they came out and said that it was now closed and they could not serve me. I never ate there again. The hotel also offers a “luxurious breakfast box” for those who need to check out early etc. In my breakfast box, I was given a stale piece of bread with butter on – that’s it. That was breakfast for this supposed 4 star resort? This was also thrown at me, rudely by staff who were irritated that I couldn’t just go later to the airport (my flight was at 8am). I am unsure why they even offer such “luxury” services to begin with.
Decor:
Cheap, view of the wall from windows, smells like smoke/ musty air constantly, no clean shower, not very clean. Wrong room was given to me and this was not accommodated for after (as they charge your card beforehand!). Really this should be an illegal practice and they should be held accountable.
Other:
Save all the details off your booking.com/ asiarooms page and take it with. Like literally, take snaps which shows the pic of the room you booked for and make sure they give you that room. Else this hotel gives you other rooms that you did NOT pay for and they make more money off you. They seem more concerned about how much money they can make instead of delivering service for the items already paid for.
Avoid booking tours at this hotel – cheap tourist trap tours only sold here. Rather do a private tour yourself. Even the hotel’s Simon Cabaret show wherein they book and drive you there does NOT actually exist. Upon interest and enquiry with reception, i was rudely told to call them at my own expense, or walk there and get tickets myself. She did not even call to enquire if there was availability, despite the hotel advertising that they offer this service for this show. They are always looking for ways to grab more money from you as patrons of the hotel, without any service delivery. She was more concerned that I would pay her cash to use the phone then whether I made it in time for the show (bad service!).
Airport:
Hotel overcharges GASTRONOMICALLY for the airport transfer – rather hassle with a taxi outside (and not the one who parks outside the hotel door- he is a rip off!). They advertise that it is 800 baht, but demand that you 1000baht when booking which is above the legal maximum limit placed by the Thai government (although it isn’t surprising that this hotel acts in contravention of the law). Please do not use this illegal practice and rather take a public taxi or call one in yourself.
Overall:
I would strongly urge people to avoid this hotel and do their research and stay at other hotels in Phuket which are more central, cleaner and offer decent rooms and service and that are better located (so that you save on the additional taxi fares). There are very little positives to mention about this hotel, even when trying actively to do so. I urge all to please think carefully before making any decisions.

Room Tip: No rooms are good- not the sea rooms nor the pool rooms which just get humid
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo