“Birthday Treat”
Review of Acqua Restaurant

Acqua Restaurant
Ranked #59 of 652 Restaurants in Patong
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We have lived only 100mts from the restaurant for the past 9 months so decided to treat ourselves to a special treat. It is a very minimal restaurant with polished concrete floors and a black and white theme. The food was very nice and came with many little extra's such as bread basket, a little entree treat on a stick and some pastries afterwards. With a couple of drinks each and a 2 course dinner cost around 4800TBH. So an upmarket place even by Aussie standards.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

We walked up to Aqua without a reservation and the hostess an Italian woman told us that this time of year if you didn't have a reservation she wasn't able to help us. We asked if we could sit in the lounge area and eat, but she said no, and unfortunately all her reservations were for large groups, so she didn't have any room to maneuver. I wasn't very happy, but could understand, if it really was as good as the ratings. The following day we called up at 5:30PM and got a reservation for 8:00PM, the exact time we wanted. Ok so maybe not as difficult to reserve as one would think, or maybe we were lucky. Reminded me a bit of keeping people waiting outside of an empty night.

The interior of the restaurant is first class. Open kitchen, which I love, great decor, I could Imagine the restaurant being anywhere in the world. The outside where we were seated, left a bit to be desired. While it was pleasant, it felt like a step down from the inside of the restaurant.

The food was hit and miss unfortunately. We had the pâté which was quite pleasant, and the Burrata with Parma ham. We had been warned they had no figs so I asked to have it brought out with Tomatoes, which they obliged. Both were very fresh and delicious. As far as prep goes though these are two dishes that don't require a lot of expertise. As long as they are fresh you can't go too wrong. We were quite excited at this point as the bread was great as well.

Our main dishes and desert were the disappointment. I ordered the Australian beef. It was cooked as I had requested, but lacked much flavor. We asked for salt and pepper, but it never arrived. It was a good piece of beef but the sauce and mashed, were pretty bland. The Langoustine risotto was the biggest let down. The rice not a traditional al dente, it was more undercooked, the sauce was too watery, and again the flavor was very bland. We chose not to eat the dish.

The waitress noticed that the plate was untouched, and without too much hesitation offered to replace the dish with something else, but as I had already completely finished my meal we didn't feel like waiting. She said she would have it removed from our check. First class reaction from the staff. Unfortunately the staff was probably a little too thin, as had they brought us the pepper we asked for, or checked in on us after the meals were served, they would have been able to remedy much quicker. We ordered a tiramisu to end it all and unfortunately were under impressed by the the dryness of the cake layers.

All in all I think that the restaurant could be quite impressive, however I left a bit disappointed by the overall experience as I had raised my expectations based on the awards and reviews. Having lived in New York, London and Singapore I do have high expectations of the best. Having cost us 4 times what we spent most other nights in Phuket it won't make the top of my list.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've visited this restaurant before with good friends of mine both a female judge and the chief of police. That experience was pleasant and I wanted to share it with my husband. We only had time for a quick bite before catching our flight back to Dubai.

Upon arrival, the restaurant was visibly semi-empty. However, the hostess (not a Thai) with an attitude said 'there's no table available' and suggested we eat at another restaurant in the Surin area which is affiliated to Acqua. I told her that I know the restaurant and that it was NOT APPEALING. I could only describe it as a 'coffee shop'. Maybe I was wearing the wrong color lipstick or shoe or bag!!! But her behavior towards me was borderline arrogant.

All in all my husband was DISAPPOINTED, so headed to Laguna and had a delicious pasta and vino at one of our favorite restaurants where the staff and service were impeccable....and always is.

The hostess would be more suited for Back of House assignments.

2  Thank MoyaDubai
Reviewed December 16, 2012

8.30 at night and we went down the road to get a pizza, but decided to stay for dinner. We probably a little under-dressed for an upscale restaurant, but hey, we're on holidays. That didn't matter to the staff; we were treated as if we were in evening dress. Immediate sparkling and still water, menus, amuse bouche, all one expects at a top end restaurant. The seared foie gras was absolute magic, as were all the other dishes. If you want to impress, order the oysters. That's all I'll say, the rest is a surprise. They have a great selection of wines by the glass. Undoubtedly the best meal we've had in three visits to Phuket. Expensive, yes, but you get what you pay for, and better value, better food and a better experience than Joe's Downstairs. We never did get around to bringing back a pizza. A fantastic experience

1  Thank QT_Fanatic
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our expectations were very high after reading other opinions.
Unfortunately we were nog satisfied.
The restaurant has an impresive (read: expensive) wine list.
But ours was not good!
Though the staff was very friendly, we didn't see the Cheff, even we were almost the only table in the restaurant!
If you like Italian food, nice accomodation against democratic prices I would recommand "PREGO" on Ko Samui!

1  Thank SaraSantens
AlePhuket, Owner at Acqua Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Dear Madam,
I'm quiet impressed how people like you and your boyfriend (in the previous review), try to ruin a restaurant reputation just because you made the wrong choice of restaurant based on your budget, and you judge us on our wine pricing, and because the Chef did not had time to see you, probably it's mean had better to do in the kitchen......I do not understand how you can judge a restaurant only because the Chef did not see you......??.......

So I will make one reply for both review, you and your boyfriend...

Wine in Thailand is very expensive as there is a tax on the custom for over 400%, so if a wine cost 1 euro, at the custom has to pay 4 euro of tax, so if and expensive wine as Sassicaia cost 50 euro can you imagine how much has to pay of tax? and I do not count the profit of the supplier and our profit, so if wine is expensive is not our fault, this is in all Thailand.

As you mention Sassicaia, I can tell you is one of the best selling for the expensive wines, as this is a very popular wine, for you can be ridiculous to have this wine in the menu here in Thailand, but for experts and connoisseur is a Pearl and a privilege to find this wine in the menu, and for me as a passionate owner is a pride to have this wine on the menu.

If you did not like the wine, sorry, maybe next time you can ask our recommendation, we do not have bad wines if is bad it's mean it's spoiled or corked and you can just inform us and we change immediately......

If I'm not wrong you was not the only table in the restaurant as this period we are quiet busy every day and this was the reason why I did not have time to go around the restaurant to say hello to you or any other table, normally I do when I can leave the kitchen and we are not so busy, but if we are busy I prefer to be in the kitchen and ensure the quality of the cooking....

Next time you can come to see me in the kitchen if you like to say hello or anything else, it's more polite than hide beyond a review like both of you did......

Regards