“bad service”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Ranked #141 of 331 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed January 28, 2014

usually don't write reviews but I had to make an exception for this one because it wasn't what we expected it to be, and I mean that in a bad way. When we arrived and entered the room, we were met with a horrible smell of cigarette smoke. It was so strong that we both immediately got a headache.

I then went to the bathroom to relieve myself but couldn't because the water in the toilet bowl was muddy brown. Flushed it and the water was still brown. The water that came out of the shower and sink was the same. BROWN. We had to keep the water running for nearly half an hour before it somewhat cleared up. However the water never really cleared up fully and you could see the water was still a bit brown throughout the duration of our stay. There was a note that said that Phuket was having water problems, but the management could have at least let the water run right before we arrived. Seeing muddy brown water in the toilet bowl thinking it's not cleaned properly isn't a sight one wants to see and is quite disgusting.

The next day we complained about the cigarette smell in our room. We were informed that it was probably due to the previous guest and that they were going to spray more air freshener to get rid of the smell. We stayed there for 10 days and the smell never went away. We eventually realized that it wasn't because of the previous guest after all but the ventilation in the bathroom. Every time it went on, the whole room would stink of cigarette smoke.

Besides the smell, there were a lot of mosquitoes in our room. When we asked the staff if we could use a mosquito coil they said we couldn't because the owner was afraid that we might set the room on fire. We're not stupid enough to put the coil near curtains or anything flammable.

Also, when we first arrived they told us to leave the room key at the reception every time we went out. We did just that but the receptionist got annoyed and irritated every time we left the key.

The Wifi connection in the room was very slow. In all the other places that we visited in patong, wifi connection was very fast.

We originally booked for 4 nights but decided to extend it for 5 more nights. They informed us to pay a higher rate than we originally paid for. The management said that they had upgraded our room when we first arrived because all the other rooms were fully booked, hence the higher rate. Well first of all, we didn't ask for the upgrade and secondly when one decides to extend their stay, they usually get to pay the same price or get a discount. Clearly this was NOT the case in this hotel. Luckily agoda.com offered the same rate as we paid for in the beginning so we booked through them again.

To put icing on the cake, the day we checked out, we were presented with a bill for the airport pick-up. There weren't ANY information on their website or agoda.com that the airport pick-up would cost money. I've traveled to more than 20 countries and usually when a hotel offers an airport pick-up, it's for free. We were also presented with a bill for the airport drop-off. A few days before we checked out, we asked the staff if they could drop us off at the airport. They said yes and I asked the driver and the receptionist SEVERAL times if it was for FREE and they said yes. But like the airport pick-up, it wasn't. We feel like we've been ripped off because the staff say one thing and then do another. Also, we feel that they've mislead us because they didn't give us any information that the airport pick-up would cost money when we arrived nor were there any written information about it. It feels as if whoever runs this place is quite greedy for money and if they can squeeze out any single penny from you they will. Had we known that they would charge us for the airport pick-up, we would've looked into other (possibly cheaper) options for airport transfer.

Some of the few pros of this hotel:

Location - although there are plenty of other places in Patong that are close/closer to the beach and bangla road for the same price.

Housekeeping - the lady who cleaned our room every day did it very thoroughly.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. We booked this place because of the good reviews its gotten here in tripadvisor but it wasn't as we expected it to be.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Gissella B
tatummansion, Owner at Black Pearl, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

This review has been submitted purely on the basis that the guests where charged for airport transfers and did not know until the day they checked out!! Patong is 45kms from the airport, how can anyone think that an airport pick up or taxi service back to the airport is free!! More on this subject later….
The brown water, yep it’s true, and go figure I have to pay 700baht for 6,000ltrs every day! Naturally this is not through choice and my ‘note’ is actually a 5 paragraphed letter posted at reception, explaining the problem which effects most of southern Patong, parts of Karon and Phuket Town also, not to mention other hotels of all star ratings in the same area as myself. Phuket Water Authority are in the process of installing new water mains pipes in Patong and have not completed the work as of now. The road behind Jungceylon is a mess with construction and there probably remains about 1km left for them to complete. Personally I am outraged and shocked by the water authority and Patong Local government not to have finished this project prior to the peak season, and I will forward this complaint to Thailand Tourist Board and the Phuket Tourist Association, as someone should be accountable for this. (I did try for 2 weeks to buy the ‘toilet blue’ as I agree it’s not pleasant, but something completely out of my control). Had you read my ‘note’ properly or asked the staff about the water problem, you would not have had to run the water for 30 minutes to no avail.
I was not aware of the smell of cigarette smoke until I asked the cleaners. This was brought to their attention on day 2 and at the same time as when the mosquito's were mentioned. The cleaner offered to spray extra air freshener daily which I believe was accepted. I am confused about the “ventilation” system and the smell reoccurring when the bathroom fan was turned on. The fan in the bathroom is an extractor fan, meaning it sucks out the air and condensation in the bathroom, not blow it back down. It is working properly as I tested it with a cigarette! There is no ventilation system installed at the hotel. Each bathroom is separately partitioned from each other and above the bathroom ceiling are ventilation bricks to the outside.
Mosquito's, well Phuket is in the tropics and we have mosquito's here. Again this was mentioned on the second day, but what the guest writes is not the full story. What guests sometimes forget is that hotels also have house rules and regulations. Setting fire to a room is definitely one of them. I am ‘not stupid enough’ to allow any guest to burn mosquito coil’s in the rooms. One time I saw 4 coils burnt in 1 room, and one of them was not even 1cm from the curtain. The guest did buy a box of coils and was informed by reception that it was not allowed after they asked to borrow a lighter. The guest was given a can of mosquito spray for their exclusive use and we heard nothing more of the problem.
Leaving the key at reception when guests go outside is one of my requirements. To say the receptionist got ‘annoyed and irritated every time’ is a complete exaggeration. On several occasions, I was covering reception and saw you put the room key in the box without any issues and I handed it back to you upon your return.
Wifi in the hotel, I pay for 10mb, but receive about 6mb. It works and when the hotel is full and everyone is online it can be slower, that’s normal. Will it get as fast as in Stockholm or New York…..no never, this is Thailand and the ISP would need to upgrade it’s cables throughout Patong to increase the speed. Free wifi, but it’s not fast enough, sorry about that!
After all the above issues which occurred on the 2nd day, the guest decides to extend their stay by another 5 nights!!!!!!!!! “Bad service, brown water, smoky room, mosquitos”…..but let’s stay more!
It is the hotels policy to offer the same rate should guests extend their stay for the same room. These guests booked via Agoda a nightly rate of 1,499baht for a standard room. When they inquired about extending, the receptionist can see they are Agoda clients and the room rate needs to be checked with me. These clients told my reception that they paid 1,100baht per night (a complete lie and trying to take advantage of her hesitation with the rate). Yes she may have mentioned they had received a complimentary upgrade to a superior room and also inadvertently shown you our internal invoice showing a net room rate. But for you to claim that we tried to charge you a higher rate is an absolute lie. The receptionist contacted me regarding the rate and I said we would honor the same rate and that I would take care of it when I arrive at the hotel. I had planned on giving the guests the net rate which would have saved a few hundred baht per night, but they had decided to re-book with Agoda for the extension, paying exactly the same as the first 4 nights of 1,499baht per night. I do not understand your claim regarding this issue and resent this kind of comment. You lied to my staff about how much you paid, not the hotel trying to charge you more. I will also be contacting Agoda regarding your accusation, as it’s completely untrue.
“The icing on the cake” An airport pick up and taxi service back to the airport. I am baffled as to how you can expect an airport pick up or transfer back to the airport to be free. To claim that you’ve been misled or ripped off is again another in-accurate accusation. You made your booking with Agoda.com and at the same time requested an airport pick-up at 3am from a flight from Shanghai. You never reconfirmed the pickup with the hotel, but we still sent a car. You were 45 minutes delayed before you came out and arrived safely at the hotel. On Tatum’s page with Agoda under ‘useful information’, it does state that airport transfers available for a fee of 800baht…..who has misled you? On my own website, location page, it states transfers to the airport starting at 600baht…..where does it say that transfers are free of charge? 5* hotels in the Laguna area less than 20km from the airport charge 1,000baht for transfers and get 12,000baht per night for their rooms, how you can think this is free?
Your comment “It feels as if whoever runs this place is quite greedy for money and if they can squeeze out any single penny from you they will.” The day we picked you up ‘for free’ as you had thought at 4am and before you even stepped in to the hotel, you did NOT even tip the driver 1 baht!!!!!, (in Stockholm taxi drivers receive a few extra Krona) so how dare you accuse me of squeezing every last penny. The mosquito coil you bought for 18baht at Family Mart, which I refused you to use, we offered to buy back from you….you said you paid 40baht for it!!! We gave you a free can of spray. You said you paid 1100baht for the room….actual price 1,499baht!
It’s not me that’s greedy or squeezing anything out of my guests. I am angry when claims like yours are inaccurate and misleading to others and I have every right to clear my good name and reputation. At the end of the day, if it was all that bad……why would you extend your stay?
“Bad service”……please

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Philip, the much travelled English owner and his helpfull staff, ensure a very pleasant stay in comfortable en-suite rooms, furnished with sat tv, dvd player and a well stocked fridge. The beds are firm and free towels are provided for the beach, 200 metres away. I have been staying here for a month each year, for the past ten years and have nothing but praise for the quality of comfort at an affordable price. Everything is just a short walk away.

Room Tip: The mirrored room, may suit some, but is small compared to the other rooms.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CapeTownRhino
Reviewed December 27, 2013

I was very pleased with this place, the staff are great very helpful.
I would certainly recommend...It is just close to the Beach, actually perfect but not noisy.
We were a couple, but even if you are alone it is a good meeting point.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank susan l
Reviewed December 15, 2013

This place is owned by a British expat Philips, who is very helpful, courteous, witty and a bit talkative :) He tries his level best to make stay of his guests very comfortable. His staff esp. Eric is a wonderful gentleman. Rooms and lobby are very neat and clean. Perfect location. Meters away from beach. Walking distance from Jungceylon, Bangla Road etc. Many nice shopping and eating places around. Although located centrally, yet tucked in a silent Soi. Excellent quality of sleep. Respond timely to emails and address all your queries well. He upgraded my room without any additional charges, and gave me his best room (the first one on first floor, next to the stairs). We (me & my wife) liked Phuket and extended our stay, & when we asked Philips for suggestion to spend our additional days in Patong or Kata, although he had rooms available, he gave his opinion in favor of Kat, so devoid himself of profit that he can make from us yet being honest and professional in terms of customer service (and we really liked Kata more than Patong). He lend his electric kettle to us as my wife carries her own brand of tea and tea powder. Complementary beach towels are available for guests. Giving 4 stars only because building is a bit old (but very well maintained) and during our stay clean water was not available in bathrooms (not his fault, as water pipes were being repaired by local authorities)

Room Tip: First room on first floor (superior) next to stairs.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank accidentalsurgeon
Reviewed November 27, 2013

A good overall place to stay if you really want to be on Patong beach - I was last here 25 years ago it is much changed and not for the better! The location is perfect location right near the beach, near the night life but not noisy. All the staff are very helpful and friendly and the free self service tea and coffee is provided in the lobby each morning, which is a nice touch. It represents excellent overall value for money, but you DO have to realise that you pay for what you get, there are no frills at this price - although wifi is included don’t expect sea view (or any view), a pool, and so on – go to a big chain and pay at least five time more it that’s what you want. If I were to go back to Patong I would definitely go back here, but I am not sure if I really want to do Patong again- it has lost its sense of Thai identify and is a massive tourist trap mainly for Russians and Arabs.

Room Tip: Unless you are a smoker avoid the room on the first floor with no window, as the owner Philip acknow...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have stayed several times and highly recommend this hotel. Staff great and very helpful.
Clean and tidy and super location.24 hour reception is a bonus as I found out.
A must stay location for me.
Close to all facilities and a very short stroll to the beach.
Solo traveller could not ask for better value.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank steve c
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and we were very impressed by the hotel, especially considering how cheap it is! The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Great location, very close to the beach and nightlife, but not noisy at night. Room was big and very clean and the shower was great, good pressure and hot water :)

Very impressed overall. One annoying thing was that there is a parking building next to the hotel and the man working there likes to blow his whistle very loudly at about 7am. Not a big deal though, can definitely sleep through it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple