“Great Place”

Ranked #115 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Frankston, Australia
“Great Place”
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I have stayed several times and highly recommend this hotel. Staff great and very helpful.
Clean and tidy and super location.24 hour reception is a bonus as I found out.
A must stay location for me.
Close to all facilities and a very short stroll to the beach.
Solo traveller could not ask for better value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank steve c

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed here for two nights and we were very impressed by the hotel, especially considering how cheap it is! The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Great location, very close to the beach and nightlife, but not noisy at night. Room was big and very clean and the shower was great, good pressure and hot water :)

Very impressed overall. One annoying thing was that there is a parking building next to the hotel and the man working there likes to blow his whistle very loudly at about 7am. Not a big deal though, can definitely sleep through it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alix B
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We booked two nights here after reading about it on Trip Advisor and we were not disappointed. The value for $$ paid is fantastic. The location is perfect- close to everything, but tucked away enough that it is not too loud at night. Phil and his staff were very,very friendly and helpful as we planned the next leg of our journey and had great suggestions for tours/trips etc. We booked for 2 nights and stayed for 3. Money very well spent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CJvan
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having been a frequent traveller to Asia over the last 15 years I generally stay in smaller hotels/B&B establishments. I usually shop around and try to find the best deal that I can as usually I'm booking rooms for between 5-10 people and I need to make sure that they enjoy there holiday as well as me.
I chose the Tatum firstly because Phil always responded to my queries in a timely manner (You have to keep it in mind that Thailand is 7 hours ahead of the UK)
Secondly because of it's location. I have previously stayed in this area but that particular Hotel/Guesthouse was more expensive) You have to remember that the days of 5* hotels for the price of a packet of cigarettes are long gone! To add further on the location I don't believe that you can get better. You have a great little restaurant just across the road. (See my other reviews) There is a 24 hour shop on the next corner that pretty much sells all your holiday essentials. You are 2 minutes from the beach and that includes a quick browse in the market stalls on the way. If you like an English Breakfast (I do after a few beers then try the 99 Baht one in the Irish Bar on the sea front. In the other direction from the hotel just before the Hard Rock Café there is a market and if you walk through it you will find about 30 smaller quieter bars which do bring some relief from Bangla Road.
Anyway, Phil sorted us out with our Limo that arrived as we left the airport with our bags. The transfer was good as was the check in. Phil explained about the hotel and we spoke to his staff. All of whom were friendly throughout. There are staff available 24 hours and the night porter always let me know who from my group was missing etc...
There were two little issues that had been resolved as soon as I mentioned them to Phil's staff and neither could have been planned for these were also resolved very quickly.
All our rooms were on the 3rd or 4th floor and were clean and large in fact mine was the smallest. One of them had a bed that looked about 8 foot wide!! Yes there is a list of dos and don'ts in the room but I would rather be forewarned than have a surprise halfway through my holiday. Not any of my party had to make any extra payments, nor were they asked to do so. Would I recommend the Tatum well I've booked another trip and a 10 night stay in November. If you want a 5* hotel then you can pay 5* prices. For me great value for money, cheerful and a good nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tipsytrips_77
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Location: Spot on. Close to some great places to eat. Very close to beach. Rooms: Clean, housekeeping do a amazing job. Reception: Friendly, helpful and spoke perfect English. Price: Perfect. Overall: Great / Brillant

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Simians
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

While this was my first trip to Phuket I had visited other parts of Thailand many times over the years. I know what to look for in a hotel and Tatum Mansion turned out to be an excellent choice. First of all Tatum is roughly 1 km from the Bangla Road area. The smart traveller to Phuket knows the best holiday experiences, and sensible prices, exist outside Bangla Road. Staying at the Tatum one can enjoy a visit or two to Bangla but afterwards retreat to the relative "calm" of the area around Tatum Mansion.

The hotel is adjacent to numerous restaurants and smaller local bars. Not just Thai food is on offer. Indeed within 100 metres are Egyptian, Indian, and Thai restaurants all offering a wide and varied menu including western food. Please note the Egyptian restaurant is Islamic so does not serve alcohol or allow alcohol to be consumed on the premises. The bars I mentioned are smaller local affairs serving cold beer (or beer on ice of that's your thing!) and other beverages at close to local prices. There is no room service meals or drinks at the hotel.

Tatum Mansion is spotlessly clean in common areas and, importantly, in guest rooms. The housekeeping service is outstanding. The air conditioning works well and clean towels and basic toiletries are restocked each day. Drinking water is not free but can be easily purchased from the Family Mart right next door. Complimentary tea / coffee is available in the foyer or facilities are available for use in your room on request. I found a coffee or three each morning in the foyer to be a most appropriate start to the day!

The hotel is managed by a westerner. If you know anything about the Thai work ethic and management style, staying at a hotel managed by a westerner is a very important and distinct advantage. I do not say this to be discourteous to Thais but anyone who is a frequent visitor to Thailand knows what I'm talking about here.

The prospective guest should understand that this hotel is a five floor property but it does NOT have a lift. The stairs are rather narrow and steep in typical Thai style. If climbing flights of Thai stairs are not for you I suggest you say elsewhere or take a room on the first floor. It didn't bother me at all and I stayed on the third floor.

The comfortable foyer area offers ample seating, a welcoming and reasonably well stocked bar, open view, a well stocked reading library, and a pool table. It's a really nice spot to relax and plan the day's, or night's, activities.

I highly recommend this hotel as it is spotlessly clean, well managed and staffed, located in a quiet area close to local restaurants and bars, is easily found by taxi drivers, and is within comfortable working distance of Bangla Road. It also offers outstanding value, friendly service, a manager who has English as his first language and is very knowledgeable and helpful. Brilliant!

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the higher you go the more stairs you have to climb!