“Great Value For Money and the Best Location in Patong”
Review of Black Pearl

Black Pearl
Ranked #112 of 322 Hotels in Patong
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great Value For Money and the Best Location in Patong”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having been a frequent traveller to Asia over the last 15 years I generally stay in smaller hotels/B&B establishments. I usually shop around and try to find the best deal that I can as usually I'm booking rooms for between 5-10 people and I need to make sure that they enjoy there holiday as well as me.
I chose the Tatum firstly because Phil always responded to my queries in a timely manner (You have to keep it in mind that Thailand is 7 hours ahead of the UK)
Secondly because of it's location. I have previously stayed in this area but that particular Hotel/Guesthouse was more expensive) You have to remember that the days of 5* hotels for the price of a packet of cigarettes are long gone! To add further on the location I don't believe that you can get better. You have a great little restaurant just across the road. (See my other reviews) There is a 24 hour shop on the next corner that pretty much sells all your holiday essentials. You are 2 minutes from the beach and that includes a quick browse in the market stalls on the way. If you like an English Breakfast (I do after a few beers then try the 99 Baht one in the Irish Bar on the sea front. In the other direction from the hotel just before the Hard Rock Café there is a market and if you walk through it you will find about 30 smaller quieter bars which do bring some relief from Bangla Road.
Anyway, Phil sorted us out with our Limo that arrived as we left the airport with our bags. The transfer was good as was the check in. Phil explained about the hotel and we spoke to his staff. All of whom were friendly throughout. There are staff available 24 hours and the night porter always let me know who from my group was missing etc...
There were two little issues that had been resolved as soon as I mentioned them to Phil's staff and neither could have been planned for these were also resolved very quickly.
All our rooms were on the 3rd or 4th floor and were clean and large in fact mine was the smallest. One of them had a bed that looked about 8 foot wide!! Yes there is a list of dos and don'ts in the room but I would rather be forewarned than have a surprise halfway through my holiday. Not any of my party had to make any extra payments, nor were they asked to do so. Would I recommend the Tatum well I've booked another trip and a 10 night stay in November. If you want a 5* hotel then you can pay 5* prices. For me great value for money, cheerful and a good nights sleep.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Tipsytrips_77

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Location: Spot on. Close to some great places to eat. Very close to beach. Rooms: Clean, housekeeping do a amazing job. Reception: Friendly, helpful and spoke perfect English. Price: Perfect. Overall: Great / Brillant

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Simians
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

While this was my first trip to Phuket I had visited other parts of Thailand many times over the years. I know what to look for in a hotel and Tatum Mansion turned out to be an excellent choice. First of all Tatum is roughly 1 km from the Bangla Road area. The smart traveller to Phuket knows the best holiday experiences, and sensible prices, exist outside Bangla Road. Staying at the Tatum one can enjoy a visit or two to Bangla but afterwards retreat to the relative "calm" of the area around Tatum Mansion.

The hotel is adjacent to numerous restaurants and smaller local bars. Not just Thai food is on offer. Indeed within 100 metres are Egyptian, Indian, and Thai restaurants all offering a wide and varied menu including western food. Please note the Egyptian restaurant is Islamic so does not serve alcohol or allow alcohol to be consumed on the premises. The bars I mentioned are smaller local affairs serving cold beer (or beer on ice of that's your thing!) and other beverages at close to local prices. There is no room service meals or drinks at the hotel.

Tatum Mansion is spotlessly clean in common areas and, importantly, in guest rooms. The housekeeping service is outstanding. The air conditioning works well and clean towels and basic toiletries are restocked each day. Drinking water is not free but can be easily purchased from the Family Mart right next door. Complimentary tea / coffee is available in the foyer or facilities are available for use in your room on request. I found a coffee or three each morning in the foyer to be a most appropriate start to the day!

The hotel is managed by a westerner. If you know anything about the Thai work ethic and management style, staying at a hotel managed by a westerner is a very important and distinct advantage. I do not say this to be discourteous to Thais but anyone who is a frequent visitor to Thailand knows what I'm talking about here.

The prospective guest should understand that this hotel is a five floor property but it does NOT have a lift. The stairs are rather narrow and steep in typical Thai style. If climbing flights of Thai stairs are not for you I suggest you say elsewhere or take a room on the first floor. It didn't bother me at all and I stayed on the third floor.

The comfortable foyer area offers ample seating, a welcoming and reasonably well stocked bar, open view, a well stocked reading library, and a pool table. It's a really nice spot to relax and plan the day's, or night's, activities.

I highly recommend this hotel as it is spotlessly clean, well managed and staffed, located in a quiet area close to local restaurants and bars, is easily found by taxi drivers, and is within comfortable working distance of Bangla Road. It also offers outstanding value, friendly service, a manager who has English as his first language and is very knowledgeable and helpful. Brilliant!

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the higher you go the more stairs you have to climb!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank SunSport
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay at Tatum because a couple in our mini bus was staying there. We had no idea what to expect when then told is they paid 700 baht per room! The entire staff was incredibly helpful. The owner was super friendly, incredibly helpful and genuine.

Tatum is a nice refuge from the chaos of patong beach!

• Stayed July 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is a little hard to find. but it's tucked in the back alley's about 1/2 mile south of Bangla Road. which is excellent because it's quiet! phillip, the owner, greeted us as did his adorable french bulldog. if i remember correctly, i paid 17 bucks/night through agoda.

our room on the fifth floor was clean and included cable tv, a microfridge, and a/c. We felt safe in the hotel, and when phillip wasn't around, his other employees were more than helpful in giving us directions and suggestions. free wifi throughout with a strong signal.

the location was perfect. 2-3 minute walk to the beach, and easily walkable in 5 min to bangla road, or any of the plethora of shopping places.

for this price and location, you will not get the Four Seasons. we don't mind walking up the stairs. there is not an included breakfast, but they have coffee and tea in the lounge starting 7am. i do wish there was a hot pot in the room for making tea or coffee. the lounge also features a full bar and a pool table.

overall, a pleasant stay and slept like babies.

Room Tip: if you're not physically fit, avoid the 5 flights of stairs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trav_eler31350
Seoul
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is not a hotel, more like a large guesthouse, not a great one either
I stayed on the 3rd floor the rooms were small, damped and dust was everywhere. There was cob web in the corners making me feel like I have booked an old gray hotel. Hated the fact that we had to use the stairways to haul the bags up and down especially when we stayed only for 2 nights. The bathroom was horrible, small and shower only. View, well except for the power and phone lines they were much going on. Since it's in 'Patong' long way away from Bangla the front desk wants me to keep the key there, don't know why it's just a hassle to come to front desk every time before going to the room. The funny thing about this hotels was the audacity of giving us list of sheet detail charges for damage goods when their linens are already full of holes, I really hope no one gets ripped off from that trick. Worst hotel experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank Jamimo
tatummansion, Owner at Black Pearl, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
It has taken me a while to reply to this guests review on Tatum Mansion as I could not find any reservation under his name, but have come to the conclusion that this booking was made under a friend’s name who booked 2 rooms.
The third floor is our most occupied floor out of the five as its only 2 flights of stairs up. To say the rooms are small, well Ok rooms 302 and 303 a pair of connecting Superior rooms are approximately 20sq m and each have new Queen Size beds in them. ‘Damped and dust’, well no one has ever mentioned my rooms to be damp and as often as the 3rd floor is occupied, there certainly are NO signs of damp anywhere. August is in the middle of the rainy season with high humidity. The air conditioners can take approximately 5 minutes before they produce cool air, possible mosquito spray can leave an aroma, but no damp smells or evidence to show of damp. Dust and cobwebs, well there is no excuse. My second priority is clean clean clean but as I mentioned before, the 3rd floor is our most occupied rooms and maybe the dust issue is slightly exaggerated as these rooms would be serviced the most. Possibly with the amount of construction in the area at the time could be the answer. For the “cobweb in the corner”, no excuse. Why would you not say during your stay?
Your dislike of hauling your luggage up 2 flights of stairs for a 2 night stay, well, I can’t really comment on that…..actually I can. There are many 4 and 5 star hotels in Phuket that I know of that also do not have elevators and one has to use the stairs. If a guest is not strong enough, fatigued or has heavy luggage, you only have to ask for help, but for most 20 – 30 year old guest’s this is not really a problem.
Our bathrooms are typical of guesthouses in Thailand and have showers only. They are approximately 3 x 3 sq m in size, you mentioned horrible and I assume not to your taste, but at least they were clean.
You mention the view, “power lines and there were much going on”. Not 100% sure what you meant, but this is Patong, a 3.5km long built up fun town, but the positive side is we are located on a quiet dead end street with very little traffic. To say that we are “long way away” from Bangla Road, you mean the approximate 1.5km distance and a 10 minute stroll! Plus they have power lines in Bangla Road too! Well if 2 flights of stairs was enough to complain about then Bangla Road must have seem to be on the other side of the world. I really do not understand why guests can complain about the location and distance to another place. All this information is readily available online via my own website or 3rd party websites. Perhaps next time you travel you should look at Google maps before selecting a property or in this case, complain to your travelling companion as he made the reservations.
It is hotel policy that we require guests to leave their room keys at reception. You talk as if it was a huge inconvenience and the “hassle” of coming to the front desk every time you came back. If you look at pictures of Tatum, you walk past the front desk which is at the entrance to the hotel. Perhaps your memory of its location is a little blurry as 10 months have passed since you wrote your comments, but ask yourself why you need your room key with you when the property is staffed 24 hours a day? Leaving the key at reception allows us to know if guests are in or out, and also for the cleaners to know if they can service the room. The key is 10 times safer left at the hotel than in your pocket and not a hassle at all. What if you had lost it outside, don’t you think you would be more concerned if it was lost, than the “hassle” you mention of walking past reception?
Now to the “audacity of giving a sheet detail charges of damaged goods”. You must be referring to the list of Damage charges (a 1 page document) which is located in the middle of the hotels in-room directory. You are implying that this was handed to you personally at some point during your stay. This is absolutely untrue; we don’t even hand out welcome letters to guests when they check in. All guest rooms have room directories with information about the hotel, surrounding area, do’s and don’ts, emergency contact numbers and damage charges etc . Majority of hotels have damage charges listed and quite rightly so. If a guest breaks a television or the furniture, the guest should know how much it will cost to replace. For example my ‘damage charge’ for the television is 6,000baht, a lot less in fact than what the new models cost today. Furniture, curtains and linens for example may seem expensive, but many items need to be ordered and there is a waiting period for the item to be replaced. In some cases, rooms may have to be taken out of operation and therefore the property would lose out on lost bookings. So I am not sure “what trick of ripping you off” you are referring to, but your information is unfounded and comment inaccurate. Hotels damage charges may appear to be high, but are listed also as reference, a deterrent and a guide line and hotel property should be respected as if it were your own. I am not out to rip anyone off…..…this is why there is a ‘Damage Charges List’ and I hope other TripAdvisor reviewers here can judge for themselves about your comment.
As you ‘found’ the damage charges list in the middle of the hotel directory, you must have seen the 1st page, my welcome spiel encouraging guests to ask, let us know etc. My closing page also requests that guests let me know if they encounter any issues.

In conclusion to your review, I hope you have discussed this with your travelling companion. Technically it was your friend that made the booking, I assume with your blessing. But as a courtesy to hotel owners and or Managers, by all means write your review, but surely it is better to do it shortly after your stay and not close to 1 year later!! Your have posted several inaccuracies about Tatum and then inconsistent with your ratings. Location 1/5…you can’t penalize a hotel for its location as all the information is available online in advance if only you had checked….or blame your friend, at least for the 2 flights of stairs!! If you were expecting full on sea views and walk out on to the beach closer to the hustle and bustle of Bangla Road, then your budget should have been a lot higher.
Your last comment of “Worst Hotel Experience” !! Thank you, but you have only posted 4 reviews in total on TripAdvisor. Now your “worst experience” you rated the rooms ‘above average’ (3 out of 5) and not even the minimum of 1 out of 5, but you complained it was too small and damp!!
Cleanliness 2/5 for a cobweb?
Value 2/5 – Price paid was 700baht per night approx US$20.

I encourage all guests to let me know of any problems or issues they encounter during their stay. That way I can hopefully fix or resolve the problem and make your stay more comfortable.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Stayed here in April 2013.
My mate had stayed here previously and recommended it.
My 3rd time in Phuket and I've stayed in a few places, and I would stay here again.
Was not disappointed. We scored a good price through an online hotel booking company.
Barely a 3 minute walk to Patong beach. Next door is a "Family Mart" convenience store. Directly across the road a fantastic little restaurant which I was at every morning for breakky and a cappuccino. Had a few dinners there too, cheap food and very delicious.
Probly a 7-10min walk to Bangla road, but you don't even feel it as there's so much going on around you.
Theres a few bars directly on the lane (Soi Kepsab) which is convenient as well as a few massage shops which were good too.
If I had to be picky about anything, I would say the shower could do with a bit more force and warmer water. It wasn't cold water, but it wasn't nice and hot either.
Otherwise, a very tidy room and hotel, (no elevator, which doesn't bother a young lad like me), free pool table downstairs. Tv's in room. Friendly staff. And free beach towels at reception should you want to head to the beach or are about to embark on an island tour.
Tours can be booked at reception too, which i recommend as we got a good price.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor with a window facing directly to the front of Soi Kepsab. Couldn't hea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lauds86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Grand Orchid Inn
#62 of 322 in Patong
Patong Rose Guest House
Patong Rose Guest House
#167 of 322 in Patong

Been to Black Pearl? Share your experiences!