“Don't be fooled by the TripAdvisor Ratings”
Review of Kelly's Residency

Kelly's Residency
Ranked #113 of 334 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We picked this hotel based on the TripAdvisor ratings and the hotels website. We liked the concept of having a 'local' recommend how to get around and order excursions. The experience was nothing like the website promise. Dan did not give options or adequately explain what he did recommend. He repeatedly mentioned that he did not want to be there. We were not comfortable around him and changed hotels as soon as we could. There was no other English speaking staff around when we arrived.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank SEAPexplorer012
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Other people writing reviews are fooling people, really.

This is one of two review by this person about the same thing, I spoke to you on arrival straight off you asked a barrage of questions, and then you say I didn't give you any options on what I told you, I gave you everything I had, how can you mark rooms down and not stay, and how many options do I have to give, I do it for free and there was no pleasing you, you wanted to go sailing, go on a phi phi Island tour, go on a city tour, go to markets, go to James bond Island want to know all prices on everything and how much is a bus to markets, how much is a taxi, I gave you answers plus to all the questions that I knew, your here for two days and got the best I had on offer and there was no pleasing you, just a barrage of questions and mind changing wants, you could have found all the information in a folder but no you wanted my personal 10 star attention and got it, and the prices were given to you by the taxi girl, a half day tour 1-600 Baht and 600 Baht to markets and wait two hours was too expensive for you, and you argued with me because I said "about" 1-500 Baht for half day tour, the taxi wisely took off she had enough, you should have argued with her it’s her business I just make it easier for tourists to find things by bringing together tours and taxi’s I do this for free, and 99% of those people thank me for saving them money and time, so you can believe all the good reviews but not this one.

For you all the prices were too expensive, to quote you "I'm not used to paying those prices" but how would you know you have never been to Phuket before an no one has ever complained about prices everyone says to cheap, I agree, I'm fast running out of things to say so I shut up to avoid an argument, and when your kids starting telling me I'm drunk and insane and to top it off "your scaring us" all because I stopped giving any more information, they had it all, and the scary stuff language, now that scary, it is to me.

And your aggression with the old clichés "what is your problem" and I'm sexist and scary, all antagonistic stuff all because I ran out of information and stopped there was no use continuing, I told you if you wanted to find cheaper tours and taxis and buses to markets you might find them down the road in the small booths, you asked how much cheaper and I told you about half price and they have cheap hotels to, you replied you don't want us here, ha, with all the abuse and the conversation was out of control I said if you’re not happy and offered to drive you to another hotel, you declined and went from talking too much to the silent treatment, It was over I lost interest is right, I told them I’ve had enough there was no pleasing these people and abuse was over the top, I walked off and went home, and when I got home I was greeted by a barrage of the foulest email I have ever read and that's saying something, and for the record I don't drink and not drunk, Yes I'm insane to do the job, and more so to do it for free.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

Value for money and location considered, this is amazing. Hospitality is amongst the warmest and friendliest experiences anywhere in the world. 5-7 minutes walk from the nightlife and shopping. 12 minute walk from the beach. Dan and Tan booked all my tours and transportation. They book you nothing but the best and most reliable. This is what hospitality should be.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank alwayssuperstylin
KellysOwner, Manager at Kelly's Residency, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

Hi Thanks for taking the time to write a review, warm and friendly begets warm and friendly, glad you appreciated the tours, it took us years to gather that information and to sort out the scams and dud tours, and no one can get off a plane and know what we know, that is fantastic value in itself, its quick and easy for everyone, most of our information came via guests like yourself, we sell our tours at the same price as we get them, and guest often tell us what others paid on the same tours on the same boat was 2-000 Baht more, with that type of saving you get your room at Kelly’s for free, people talk and this is where most of our customers come from, word of mouth.
Thanks again for review; good reviews help others find good value.
Thanks from Dan & Tan.

Reviewed June 29, 2012

This hotel is beautiful and the staff is friendly, Except for the owner. When we arrived he began to immediately stereotype and talk slander. He presented himself as poorly behaved and sexist. We had no choice but to find another hotel immediately. If you decide to stay here I surely hope that you have a better experience.

I would not recommend this place to anyone due to the very poor customer service that the owner displayed.

Room Tip: Try to decide based on the propaganda that is advertised. It was obvious that the owner had a set pr...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Jeremiah F
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

This person has written two reviews with two different adresses, one in texas USA, and one in Indonesia, just two different IPOs same person.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

nice hotel, friendly staff away from the hustle and bustle. Dan is helpful with local knowledge hes the man to book tours through which are reliable. Overall the place needs some work, touch ups, the photos must of been taken years ago.

Room Tip: pool side was good, quiet season.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Daneo R
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Just back from a stay at Kelly’s Phuket Hotel in Patong and I would highly recommend it. This was my first visit to Thailand and Phuket and I feel Kelly’s was a perfect choice. As an American traveling to Thailand for the first time, receiving the benefit of Dan and Tan’s local knowledge was extremely helpful. We stayed in a JR Suite only because the big suite was booked. The room was very nice and the views amazing. We took Dan’s suggestions for things to do to heart and are very glad we did. I also enjoyed Dan’s cooking breakfast each morning and our morning conversations. If you are looking to stay in a very comfortable hotel with excellent service, I cannot recommend Kelly’s enough.

Room Tip: The view's from Kellys are wonderful. I liked being on the 4th floor for the breezes and views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Greg4surf
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I am currently sitting on Kelly's 5th floor balcony writing this review, its a sunny day as i look over Patong beach from my private balcony, ocean and mountain views to die for.... With all the hustle and bustle going on all over Patong beach, i feel like i am in my own private "Millionaires mansion".
Dan and Tan and the staff here at Kelly's are some of the friendliest people i have met.. Dan has a wealth of knowledge and Tan will help with all you need, and they will help you to bypass the typical tourist traps we westerners are good for falling into, my first 3 days or so i was the only occupant to stay here, not because of any other reason but Dan runs this magnificent facility to suit him, he doesn't need max pax to make money, he sells his rooms at 2.5 star prices but delivers a 4.5 to 5 star facility and knowledge. If you plan to be waited on hand and foot then this is not for you, you get a room a view and the knowledge and that is all, looking for anything else then look elsewhere. The position of this hotel is perfect, disregard those who say location is not good, these people probably require assistance just to walk down a set of stairs, the hotel is away from the noises of Bangla road but close enough to be a short walk or even shorter scooter ride (which Dan can organize) 7-11's, well they are everywhere here but 1 min walk either direction and your there, bars are located next door or in house, shopping precinct only minutes away, all tours are at a discounted rate and all you do is mention what you want and its sorted.... I actually was going to look at staying at another hotel as i am here for 4 weeks, but i love this place and the staff so much i am about to walk downstairs and negotiate a longer stay and most likely Dan will do me a deal, his that kinda bloke ! Hats off to you and Tan, you have done well with this traveller.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Luke H
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Well what can I say - we stayed here for 9 nights and on many a day we were the only guests, it was like we were millionaires in our own hotel!
We stayed in the Royal Penthouse Suite and it was fantastic value for money. The room is enormous with 2 balconies, 1 of the balconies has a sea view and the other has a view over the hills of Patong. The location of the hotel is at the top of a hill but you can walk to Jungceylon shopping mall within 10 minutes easy strolling, Bangla Road and the beach are within 15 minutes walking. I do recommend getting a tuk tuk back at night for 200 baht because the small hill can be tiring after a few beers!. We were the only guests around the pool on most of our days and we just stayed there! The pool is great and so refreshing in heat of Patong.
The staff were really friendly and during our stay we felt like a part of their family. So much so that they were offering us their food and Dan was discussing everything with us! Nothing was too much trouble and Dan would happily cook us food whenever we asked even offering us his mussels! The Kelly's breakfast is awesome and sets you up a treat for the day ahead.
The ONLY problem we had was that we blocked the toilet which was sorted out immediately but with Dans advice of flushing halfway through. Sorted!
Dan is a proper host and at times he felt like my Dad, his advice was duly taken and also some ignored (coconut oil). His stories will be remembered forever. Tan his wife is a lovely lady and together you gain a real "guest experience" unlike many hotels where you are only a room number.
The taxi pick up and drop off was excellent and well worth booking through the hotel no hassles and no scams!
If we ever return to Patong we will undoubtedly stop at Kelly's again. Thank you to Dan, Tan and family for a perfect stay. (Dan - I hope you enjoy your bracelet and it makes you laugh as much as we did with you through our stay) - Claire says " have lots of massages, go first class and remember you can't take it with you. xx

Room Tip: All rooms are great and kept really well - however the Penthouse suite was exceptional value for mon...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple