“Great location” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Mechelen, Belgium
“Great location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Large room with balcony. Very good location. Walking distance from Bangla Road, beach, Otop market and only a 10min walk to Jungceylon shopping mall (with a Big C supermarket). Wifi not good, swimming pool so so and at the entrance of the hotel. I prefer a rooftop or more private swimming pool. We didn't receive the 2 bottles of water every day and had to contact the reception after which it didn't happen again. I would have preferred a douche instead of a bath. The door of the room didn't close well, you had to turn the door knob a few times before you could close the door. The light in the room was very cold.
Very friendly porters. We rented a car and always had a parking spot in the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Mandurah, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

The service in it self is what makes this hotel worth staying at every time. This was our third stay in three years. The food is filling and includes breakfast-Asian American style. Omletes you can rave about. The rooms are clean, beds comfy and now the renovations are done the rooms are australian 3.5 star. Rooms cleaned daily and the hotel prides itself on customer service. For couples highly recommend. Not sure if I would take kids younger than ten but will let you know this next time

Stayed July 2014
Shanghai, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I like to try different places when I visit a location briefly and this place had pretty good reviews all round. Of particular interest to me was the rooftop pool with 360 degree access to the sun all day long.

Upon arrival, check-in was unusually speedy, fluid and without issue. The concierge were chatty, explaining to me that the gym was 100 metres around the corner from the hotel and what times it opened. They took my bags to the suite that I booked and it was large, airy, well-appointed and looked like great value for the price that I had paid.

I then went off for a few hours' of sunbathing.

The location of this hotel is superb; 5 minutes' walk from the Jung Ceylon Shopping centre and equal distance to Bangla Road and the loud nightlife. Yet this hotel is as peaceful as it comes for a hotel in Patong, down a small side street that is a dead-end and so you get no walk-past traffic and noise.

But when I came back from sunbathing and had showered, I wanted to unpack and iron my clothes. I called reception and they told me to call 748 if I wanted an iron. I called 748, explained that I needed an iron and ironing board and the woman spoke little English, but said 'yes'. A few minutes later a knock on the door and a hotel worker was there empty-handed and asked me what I wanted. I tried explaining 'iron' and he could not understand, even with my hand-imitation-ironing and finally, exasperated, I went down to the front desk.

I asked the first man behind reception and he nodded and told me to wait. Then he brought another man who listened as I repeated myself, he too nodded (it seems when the staff here did not understand, they just 'nodded') and off he went and came back with a lady. This is now about an hour after I first asked for an Iron!

I told this lady the same thing that I wanted and asked her if she understood, she said yes and said that the hotel had no irons. I told her this was impossible, every hotel in Thailand has at least one iron and she said 'not this one'. She said I should use the laundry and I told her that my clothes were clean and a little creased and I just wanted to run an iron quickly over them before I went out that evening. 'No iron' she said.

I was getting very frustrated by this and so asked for the Duty Manager and she told me the Duty Manager went home at 6pm and there was no manager present. Totally exasperated now, I said that unless I got an iron, she could check me out of the suite because the suite should already have its own iron and if not, the hotel should provide one. Once I mentioned 'check-out', she asked me to wait, made a telephone call and told me 'okay, iron will be in your room in a few minutes'. So I went back to the room where amazingly, the same man I had 'mimed' ironing to in the first place, returned with an iron! 90 minutes and lots of frustration, just to get an iron.

The hotel has 3 different WiFi connections and not a single one of them was any good - one bar of signal most of the time, 2 bars if you were very lucky and if during early evening zero bars due to many people using. If you had to conduct business online whilst you are at this hotel (which I did every day), you are pretty much stuck unless like I did, you buy your own WiFi card through AIS or TrueWifi.

On the third day at the hotel, I was taking a complimentary bottle of water out of the fridge and because there was condensation on the bottle, it slipped and broke. I cleaned all of the glass up, placed it in the bin and then carried the bin out to housekeeping and warned them about the glass. They emptied it away and I went back to the room - this is important later.

4pm the day before I wanted to check out, I went to reception and told the man there that I needed a 5am wake-up call and a taxi booking for the airport to leave the hotel at 5.15am - he wrote this down and I watched him do this. At 6pm I went out and tried to get back in my room at 9.30pm, only to find the key-card did not work. I went down to the front desk, got a new key card and the minute I walked into the suite I knew someone had been in the room as my laptop had been moved. I went into the bedroom to the safe and was horrified to see the door wide open. I was gutted, I thought I had been robbed and as I had the whole family's 5 passports in there along with my credit cards, I was really shocked.

But as I reached the safe, I saw the passports and the credit cards had been taken out of the safe and left at the side of the safe ..... how bizarre is that. I called the front desk but the person there could not understand a word of what I was saying and there was no Duty Manager (nor would there be in the morning when I left) and so as I had lost nothing, I chose not to say anything more. Quite obviously, someone had I assumed come to the room to 'check me out' as the keycard had been cancelled and the safe opened and then on seeing everything, they did not know what to do so just left!

Finally, the following morning as I was checking out, the front-desk staff told me that I had an outstanding bill. I knew I had a small laundry bill but asked why the bill was so high - "That is because you broke the water bottle and have to pay for the bottle and the water" was the response! I was simply stunned, how 'cheap' a parting shot is that!

Summary - what started out perfectly went on to show me that this hotel has about 99% tourists and yet apart from the concierge staff, hardly anyone that speaks English to any real level and most certainly not to a level to provide assistance or service when things happen. No Duty Manager at night is terrible too as the front-desk staff were pretty inept at dealing with even the simplest of things and that massive breach of security in the room would preclude me ever staying at this place again.

Shame really; great location, suite was very nice/large, very quiet and a rooftop pool that gives sunbathers all that they need. Shame about the lack of English, almost impossible-to-get WiFi and servicing/security.

Room Tip: Suites - such as 723 that I stayed in, are well-appointed, large and very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
6 Thank AdrianShanghai

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

I visited here with my two children, aged 10 and 13. Was apprehensive before arrival as it was such a reasonable price I thought there must have been something wrong with it! I paid much more for all other accommodation so far on my month long trip, and this hotel was the best value for money . I have never met such pleasant and helpful staff . The reception staff took our bags on arrival and were very good to the children. The rooms are clean with great air con and the pool was just perfect. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. Ideal location, just around the corner from the beach and all restaurants and shops.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Sara S
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Walked in and booked 2 rooms. Stated exact requirements: 1 standard double room, 1 deluxe pool view twin... They said yes we have available for the next day and had to pay a deposit. When we arrived at 12pm it took 30 mins to check in.. And then they said can we return at 2pm...ok but why not tell us to do that straight away? At 2pm we had to do a check in again? They took ages to find our previous check inn details and then said our rooms were not ready yet!? At 2:30 we were given 1 standard twin and 1 deluxe twin sea view (note none of this is not what we booked)!!! I don't know how many times you have to tell them what you have booked, in our case 5 times! And they still got it wrong!! To take the piss, they pushed the beds together and they were not the same height, they used 2 single blankets widthways... So impractical had 2 have one single between us, better off 2 single beds! We had plug sockets behind our cushions so that I had to sleep on the lamp plug? 2nd day they let us move, unfortunately we still had plugs in our bed as the room was designed for twin beds. The rooms were requested to be cleaned b4 we left for a whole day trip but they did not bother with the more expensive room. The whole hotel had a very bad organisation system. Breakfast was nice and the omelette lovely but even the woman cooking them got annoyed because she wanted her own breakfast? Why is there not staff
to cover her? 2 pools look appealing, be careful on the roof because there was broken glass on the floor, and the pool tiles are sharp. We did not have a great experience and so disappointed because the reviews looked good. We are travelling Asia and spent a bit more on accommodation and wished we hadn't bothered. As simple as trying to leave the room key at the desk and they were trying to check me out...i could go on but you probably get my point! There are a few staff members that were actually good, 2 men I had their names.

• Stayed June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2014

Stayed at Amata feb 2014. Fell in love with Amata resort. We stayed in the older building and even though we had to change rooms twice as bed was broken first time then second room's aircon was broken there is nothing wrong with the older building. We ended up on the second floor with a beautiful pool view. Rooftop pools view is amazing and was never busy so was very relaxing. 5 minute walk from bangla road and the beach, prefect location.
Staff were helpful and spoke good english and welcomed us with drinks on arrival. The time we stayed the rates were very cheap $40 a night but looking up dates now for nov they are very expensive. Feb is a great time of the year to go. Busy but not over the top and very cheap!

Room Tip: try and get a pool view if possible as the other view is an old scary abandoned hotel.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is a lovely hotel, up a little side street you wouldnt even know it was there, great spot, about a 5 min walk from the Jungceylong Shopping Centre and many shops and restaurants, and about a 10 min or less walk to the beach, rooms were lovely and cleaned and they were cleaned every day, staff were friendly and helpful, there was a great selection of food for the bufet breakfast. Really enjoyed my stay here

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple