“Everything as expected :)”
Review of Amata Patong

Amata Patong
Ranked #89 of 328 Hotels in Patong
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed for 7 nights in Feb 2013. We had a room in the new building (level 3 or 4). I cannot comment much on the old building as we only went into this area to go to reception and for the breakfast in the morning, the ground level is well maintained and clean. The new building where we stayed was modern and clean with a balcony overlooking the pool. Our favourite part about the new building was the rooftop pool which gives an amazing view over Patong beach, especially at sunset. We paid $110 a night for the room, so not the cheapest option in Patong however we felt the price matched the facilities well. The concierge were always very helpful and pleasant, smiling and greeting us every morning.

The only issue we had with service was when i called reception to have 2 pages (black & white ink) printed off because i needed them for our next flight. The first time i called i was told i they were unable to do this for me at all (not via email or via USB ). Instead i was told to go to a small shop next door, after going to the small shop and finding a disconnected printer (which i spent 15 minutes moving and connecting), there was no ink! Very frustrated i returned to the hotel and called reception, this time they allowed me to email the document through to them. By the time i got down to reception i waited about a minute for the pages to finally be printed and that was that. I only wonder why they couldn't have helped in the first place, 2 pages in the scheme of an $800AU booking, not much to ask...A SMALL blemish on an enjoyable week and good hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan D
There are newer reviews for Amata Patong

Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you wanna be right in the middle of where all the action is, this is the place to be! Otherwise, an average property. All the major amenities are available, if you can explain to the staff what do you want! :-) English isn't spoken beyond the lobby floor!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our family is used to staying in hotels in the 4-5-star category - ie. Katathani, Holiday Inn, Burasari, Kee Resort and Patong Merlin but chose this budget option to save money on accommodation so we had more money to spend on other things like activities/tours and transport (transport has become expensive in Phuket).

So, it's not surprising that when we first checked in and were shown our room I was slightly disappointed. We had booked a superior pool view room and were given a room in the main (original) building. We had requested interconnecting rooms which they gave us, located on 5th floor.

ROOM: The room, whilst old looking and with old scratched furniture was clean and it didn't take long to settle in and become comfortable with what at first, I had decided I didn't like. It felt like home soon enough. At $45 per night, I couldn't complain.
The staff that made up the room each day were on the ball and most days our room was made up by the time we returned from breakfast.

STAFF: The staff, whilst not the friendliest I have encountered in my travels to Phuket, were obliging and helpful when we needed. There was one particular staff member on reception who was very friendly whilst others, although not rude, were not as friendly and there was one guy who gave me the creeps unfortunately and gave the impression he was p##sed off all the time. If you come into contact with a guy named 'Art', he's a great guy.

BREAKFAST: Was basic but very good. I give them 10 points for knowing how to cook bacon as it's my opinion that most hotels in Phuket overdo the bacon. Egg station was also good and cooked to order. Just a side note, if you like cheese in your omelette, you pay 30 baht per serve. Really liked their coffee too. I was really impressed too with the cleanliness of the buffet area and restaurant area in general. FYI, the restaurant closes at 7pm each evening. Loads of dining options nearby so not an issue.

LOCATION: FANTASTIC! You really can't go wrong with this place for the location as has been said before. Don't forget about the shortcut to the beach road. Straight across the road and through a security type gate and just follow the driveway around past Patong Resort and it leads you to a soi that runs through to beach road. So close to Jungceylon and Bangla Road too.

If you are looking for clean budget accommodation in a fantastic location, I recommend Amata.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank jenwayh
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Worst bed I've ever had in a hotel. It felt like I was laying on a piece of plywood board covered by a cotton sheet. Incredibly noisy in the hallways,as you can hear everything thats going on around you. The rooms are old and dated and quite smelly. My room had a distinct vomit odor lingering around.

I paid for 10 nights and checked out the next day. The only way you could possibly rate this hotel above a 2 is if you are used to staying in dumps like this one.

The employees were friendly and courteous. The location is great if you're plan is to stumble back to your room after a night of debauchery on Bangla road. The pool was decent.The only people I would recommend this hotel to are teens and young adults who plan on partying all the time.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank travelpro1008
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Booked the deluxe room on special for 10 nights. When I checked in the hotel reception staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel staff were friendly but not trained adequately and service I felt lacked genuine happiness and service delivery.

Hotel room was pretty good, renovated but the outdoor sound isolation was poor and noise could be heard form the street - better sound proofing needed. Or bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper (construction works nearby around 50 meters away)

Bed was rock hard. Pillow was too thin (I suggest bring your own if you like a decent pillow).

Housekeeping cleaned and tidied bed each day but DID NOT CHANGE THE BLANKET BED SHEETS!

This is not ideal, particularly if you bring 'guests' to your room.

Checked out, the reception staff were nice enough to call a taxi for me. Restaurant staff and hotel staff spoke very little english and looked rag-tagged and overworked and underpaid.

Pool was about 1/2 size of photos, I think they filled one side in.

Pictures obviously 'glammed' up the hotel. No room service. Too expensive for the price I paid (even with the promo) but it was OK location to the action.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Seen it online and it looked ok other than bad staff and a few other things. When I showed up the price was 3 times the internet price and would not honor the internet price. Staff was not welcoming, more stuck up than anything and really didn't seem to even care. They told me to book online to get the price. When I went to do so I found many more hotels that seemed much better and found a great hotel even cheaper with 2 pools and great service in the same area.

Room Tip: find another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Ash R
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a deluxe room for 10 nights. Location is great for walking around close to everything and no need for tuk tuk's.
Our room had a mildew smell which could be taken care of if the cleaners used a little bleach whilst cleaning the bathrooms. Otherwise rooms were clean but beds a rock hard!!!
Breakfast was alright but you do get sick if it after a while.
Pool area looks nothing like it does in the pictures, it's a lot smaller and quite frankly could do with a good clean! It did however provide a good cool down after shopping.
The staff are friendly but the one thing that did disappoint me was that they charged me 100 baht for a broken drinking glass in my room. Accidents do happen and I think that there's no need to charge for such a trivial thing after our family had just spent 10 nights in two rooms in their resort. Do the math!!!
There is construction going on next door and due to this I was so glad to leave as on our second last day the jack hammer didn't stop till 8.30pm and then started again at 8.45am the next morning. Also other guests were very noisy when coming in at 5.30am waking everyone up.
Probably wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013