“Calling the Amata a resort is a bit of a stretch”
Review of Amata Patong

Amata Patong
Ranked #87 of 321 Hotels in Patong
Newcastle, Australia
“Calling the Amata a resort is a bit of a stretch”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

When we booked the Amata we expected a budget hotel and got pretty much what we paid for. The hotel has definitely seen better days but having said that the room ,(deluxe), was quite large and everything worked as it should. It had a balcony with a view of the building next door 5 metres away, luckily no one lived in it. The pool was good and well maintained. There are 2 blocks of rooms , I thing we were in the old block, and I'm not sure but some of the rooms may be used by the local business people on a casual basis. Did not have breakfast included so can't comment on the food. The location is pretty central, about 5 minute walk to Bangla road or the beach, plenty of shopping in close proximity. As I said in the title it is indeed a stretch to call this place a "resort" but for the money and the location it served our purpose and met expectation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank John S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Perfect Location, Clean hotel, Close proximity of Bangla street, Patong beach, Simon Cabrat, shopping and restaurants.

Helping staff, although i got a room with a poor view but you hardly stay in room in Phuket, paid mere 34 SGD per night.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank asmeh929
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and due to the cheap price we were not expecting much but we would definitely stay here again, location is fantastic just minutes walking distance down the road from all the action but a little quieter as not right in it. There is a massive difference though between the newer and older part of the hotel, we stayed in the older part for the 1st night and was ok but we had bad luck with our view over looking a lane and hallway that people could see straight in, if they had a alternative room with different view the rooms were fine but we paid 500B and moved to newer side and the rooms were heaps bigger and more modern with better views and softer beds. As well as the ground floor pool there is a rooftop pool on the 8th floor (new building) that had amazing views of Phuket and we pretty much had it to our selves most of the time, it was like no one knew it was there as it is not really advertised well. Breakfast was also really good and was included. Overall on a budget this was a good choice and would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Jimbud14
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We booked for 3 nights but after 2 we ran away to krabi. This is no reflection of the hotel, the room was clean, not the most amazing view but ok, we could see the pool just. The staff are very polite. Really good location for the hustle and bustle but the madness was too much for us.

We didn't feel as safe in patong as we did anywhere else. I would advise just to do a day trip to patong to see madness at night. If you like a ping pong show you wont miss one as every step you take you will have a board pushed in your face lol

Behind the shopping centre there is a market with amazing street food, very cheap!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank andy280671
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at Amata for 1 night, that was enough for me. I love the hustle and bustle of Phuket, however the Amata id smack bang in the guts of Patong. Although once in your room, you couldn't hear too much noise from the nightclubs and bars... providing your veranda door is shut. I was put in a ground floor room, 50 feet from reception. The room was O.K but the airconditioner was very noisy... and hard to sleep... if you turned it off, it got too hot! No win there. Also, the party goers, that passed my room, coming home from hours of 3-5am forget about other guests/ so you are woken by them as well.... my room main light globe was blown, & the shower water pressure sucked! My view from my veranda was looking at a 30 foot cement wall. The next morning breakfast....oh dear!! Stone cold buffet, bacon soaked in oil.... make sure you get the chef to cook you eggs.... but don't ask for cheese, as they charge you extra..OMG The staff were semi-friendly... and the doorman? was constantly on a radio which was heard through several round reception, and was annoying when trying to relax whilst having brekky.. The pool was nothing like the pictures.. I won't go there... anyway, I dont know what the deal was there, perhaps managment need to step up!! After I had checked out, I had to sit in the foyer for a little bit, because it was raining... they weren't happy with that.... and then I struggled with 50 kg of luggage down the foyer's 3 steps to the road (no ramp) and the staff just stood there... definately not the service I have had in Phuket on 6 previous trips... I was really surprised. Although I booked the room through Agoda, at $36 a night, I think this is why I was put in this room, and no service!!! Do yourselves a favour, and check out 88 Hotel, at half the price, and 5 star treatment.

Room Tip: Ground floor too noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Mish000

Travelers are raving about these Patong hotels

London
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night 20th April 2013. Room was big, bright, windows from the ceiling to the bottom, nice bathroom. you can stay in the room and see what's going on the main street as streets are alive in the evening. if you tired just go and sit on the balcony. 100tv channels, good air con in working order. Has a swimming pool outside. Shopping just around the corner
A bit disappointed for the breakfast, wasn’t a lot of choice of you can actually call it a choice and you pay for your breakfast 280baht (go and eat outside, better quality and value for money)
There was no deserts and you have to serve yourself even cutleries.
Friendly reception, and not expensive minibar, reasonable price 80baht for drinks

Would come back again

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mala019
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

The Amata was recommended to me by friends who had stayed there previously and I loved my stay at the Amata so much I extended my stay by 7 days. The staff were very very friendly, efficient and responsive. Rooms are well presented, clean & in pretty good condition. Cleaning staff very flexible and were happy to do a complete clean later in the day after any big nights on Bangla Road, which is only a short walk away. Also within short walking distance is the Jungceylon shopping centre, markets, boxing arena, heaps of great restaurants and Patong beach. Given the amazing central location there was a little noise until midnight but that's to be expected. If you are a nitpicker then you will find something to complain about, however if like me you look for great value and great location the Amata ticks both boxes handsomely.

• Stayed April 2013