“Value for money”

Ranked #100 of 405 Patong B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Value for money”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

Stayed in this hotel in early Oct, which is during the low season period. Do note that there is no lift in the hotel. It was a last min thing for us to stay in Patong and we just walk-in into this hotel. They allow us to view the rooms before we decided on it. Took the room at the 2nd level. They have transportation service to the airport at 600baht (same price if u get a taxi from the streets).

Very clean room and good location. Jus 5-10mins away frm Patong beach and bangla street. Will be back at this hotel for my next trip in Jun 2011.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Good small hotel, no, breakfast, balcony or swimming pool, value for money considering, but if you are considering staying, bargain with the rates because they seem to vary, depending on the customer, its a Thai thing

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
KL
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights for only THB 550/night. I booked for an economy room but it was upgraded to a standard room for free upon check in. The room is clean and cozy. I love the location, it's only 5 mintues walk to the beach and Bangla Road.

Nothing to complain about for the service. The girl at the front desk is polite and friendly, and able to speak English quite well. 2 bottles of drinking water are provided daily for free. Hair dryer and water boiler are available upon request.

There is no elevator but it's not a problem for me. Overall i'm satisfied with my stay here and would definitely recommend this to my friends. I've got more than the price that i've paid.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
KL
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We went in a group of 7, split onto 3 rooms (Superior L)

1) THE ROOMS :
My rating for the 3 rooms overall is : 10/10 (judging from a GUEST HOUSE standard)

• Very Clean (even cleaner than most 4-star hotels in Malaysia).
• Quality bed sheet & mattress of 3-star to 4-star hotel standard.
• I like to overall furnishing also. Looks new still.
• Overall, its exactly as the pictures shown on various websites.
• Bathroom was rather small but for a GUEST HOUSE, let’s be fair, its better than most guest house.
• Some rooms may have some views while others the window is facing the wall of the next building. (But I made not complaints knowing that I didn’t pay the extras for nice view. Guest house is supposed to be basic and clean. I got more than I asked for and much more than I paid for)

2) THE SERVICES :
My rating for the room overall is : 4/10 (judging from a GUEST HOUSE standard)

The fairer lady, I presume is the manager, is rather unfriendly the whole time, with a stern face always. We were all unhappy with her attitude, like as if we didn’t pay for our rooms (??). Very bad reflection for the guesthouse and bad representation for a person in service & tourist industry.

The 2 other staffs on shift (1 girl and 1 guy) were comparatively much friendlier and helpful. I actually tipped one of them in appreciation, though it is actually not expected for a budget accommodation/ guesthouse.

As our flight out of Phuket was in the evening, we spoke to the unfriendly “manager” enquiring for:
i) Extended Hours for our rooms – a strict no.
ii) Pay for 1 Room for Day Use for the group to shower before we leave for the airport – Not allowed. As according to her,
 They only allow strictly 2 persons to a room (though we only wanted it only for couple of hours just for everyone to shower).
 Since we booked & checked into 3 rooms earlier, should we wish to extend, we MUST extend for all 3 rooms and not just 1.
And, for room extension, the same rate that you paid via internet, DOES NOT applies.
But to be fair, the above requests, based on my experience, most good guest house do not accommodate either, as the rates that you are paying is already very cheap!! If they do accommodate, it would be a plus point. If they don’t, its just the standard conditions with budget accommodations. But of course, in this case, they manager should have been more tactful or polite when turning us down. There is no need to be rude.

3) FACILITIES
I) Wifi – This is good. II) Internet access (chargeable) using their PC
II) No lift. Walk up the stairs. I think highest was 4th or 5th floor.

ALL IN ALL, I AM MUCH MORE THAN SATISFIED BASED ON THE FACT THAT THE ROOMS WERE CLEAN & MODERN LOOKING WITH QUALITY BEDSHEET & MATTRESS. AND, I ONLY HAD TO PAY APPROX. 350 BAHT PER PERSON PER NITE. WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ASK FOR??

My group of friends were rather unhappy with this place overall because (i) The bad attitude from the manager making it a challenge to speak to her or make any enquiries + (ii) Their inflexibility to accommodate for special request + (iii) Have to walk up the stairs. One complained that there is no phone in the room, while another complained about having to climb the stairs (though she had been warned) and being put on high floor, another commented that they should have put us on lower floors. But everyone seems pleased with the rooms.

Now people (to my friends & to many out there), let me do a little justice to all the guest house owners who are able to provide clean & quality rooms with low cost.
Hey, it’s unfair to place your judgment base on a typical HOTEL standard to comparing to a guest house! A GUEST HOUSE, is meant to be budget = basic (clean room & bed) + cheap. The little extras that do you get are *bonuses*!! Let’s be reasonable and more appreciative!!!

If you want a hotel standard (with phone in the room, hair dryer, lifts, someone to carry your bags, a.ka. concierge) you should then NOT OPT FOR A GUEST HOUSE to begin with. If you expect hotel standard facilities, then either you pay double the price (or more) to look for a 3 or 4-star hotel OR, increase your budget say by 30% and browse for a guest house that does provide the facilities you wanted.

For the price that you pay (700 baht / +/-US$22 for a twin sharing room), you should only expect to get what you paid for, and the “extras” are just bonuses. And if the extras are important to you, then read up and browse for one that does have the extras. Ultimately GUEST HOUSE = BASIC, because of the price you paid.

As for Bird Cage at Patong, I will surely recommend it highly to my friends as i) The condition of the rooms = very clean and equivalent to a 4-star hotel (minus the size). + ii) Its location is right smack at the “happening” street with plenty of massage parlor, restaurants, shops and Shopping Mall (Robinson & Jungceylon) . This is all I wanted and believe 700 baht for a twin sharing room is a superb deal.

I will surely come back again. But if I were to travel with my parents, I shall opt for one with a lift (dont mind paying a little more) OR the one nearby which only has 2 floors .

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Evangelista2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Patong
Nouveau Guesthouse
Baan Paradise Hotel
Baan Paradise Hotel
#30 of 405 in Patong
Ruen Buathong Boutique Guest House

Been to The Bird Cage? Share your experiences!