All reviews free tea in town the owner an ideal place mae hong son loop night market per night villa motorcycle motorbiking cleanliness pai mhs
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have stayed 4 nights at Gims Resort, and it's been delightful. I am very reluctant to leave but nothing good lasts forever! My little villa is private and beautifully designed, so that the outside and outside can flow: this is achieved through 2 walls having been replaced largely with 2 sets of opening doors that fold out to allow air to flow and visually open up the room to the outside. The villas are sheltered and enclosed by tall bamboo thickets and green palms, and other tropical plants and they have wooden decking on 2 sides, for lots of lounging around. The heat is intense now it's the hot season, but the oppressive 42 degree oven that is the afternoon is ameliorated by the shade created by well tended gardens which have fountains, ponds and even a little artificial stream that flows along the rustic mosaic paths that link the villas to the open plan conical shaped teak and palm roofed hut that operates as a reception area/communal space. So everywhere you sit or walk you can hear trickling water and birdsong. The villas are tastefully decorated in my opinion and are scrupulously clean. Best of all they have baths! Another big plus in the hot season is the air con. The only down side for some people is that the resort is a bit of a distance from the centre of town, but free bicycles are provided. The hosts are entirely open about this drawback; but really sweet people, so they drove me to a nearby motorbike rental place, where I rented a brand new 120cc Hondo for only 150 baht a day! So that's the score. I wish tourists didn't moan and slag off lovely places when if they read the reviews they would see that the folk who run it tell people it's a 15 min bike ride, maybe half hour walk into the heart of the town. I think this is an excellent base, from which to explore the area around Mae Hong Son. Today I'm spending my last day letting my motorbike stay in the shade while I enjoy just chilling in the gardens/in my villa. I found the hosts, Coco and Khing, to be kind, and very helpful; happy to collect you when you arrive and drop you off in their tangerine jeep on oversized wheels! Oh yes just to be totally clear ; they DON'T DO BREAKFAST! I just biked/rode into town and ate there, after an early morning free cuppa at the resort - no big deal! I highly recommend this place and will be returning with my boyfriend; the only thing missing during this stay!

Room tip: Ask for a villa facing the field - most do.
Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank Yvonx S
Reviewed March 7, 2014

The resort is on the outskirts of MHS, probably a 5 min drive, so you need to have your own transport to get to town. The area is quiet and residential, with a few rice fields just behind the hotel. We followed the map on the website and the signs and found it with no problem – the signs are small so keep an eye out for them.
The resort itself is beautifully built – small bungalows amongst a bamboo - water garden. It’s relatively small but the landscaping makes it seem bigger. You could happily spend a day birdwatching from the individual patios. The bungalows themselves were clean, modern and spacious, I particularly liked the separate shower room. Tea & coffee along with some yummy biscuits was served in a pretty communal open air lounge with wifi and a computer. The lady in reception was very helpful and the hotel’s map is a good starting point for local attractions. On the downside, this was one of only two hotels on the whole trip that did not have tea & coffee facilities- strange given the price. Also, although we knew that there would be no breakfast, it was nonetheless annoying, especially as the hotel is not in the centre of town. Though we found good breakfast at the market in town, but this still took time.

Date of stay: January 2014
2  Thank TravellingFeline
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The resort is 5 minutes from the town center but the resort owners have no problem driving you too or picking you up from the town center. The owners are very nice and went out of there way to make our stay enjoyable. The cottages were very nice with plenty of room. Keep in mind that this is no 5 star resort, but who wants do stay in a stale place like that. I prefer staying at a place where I'm known as a person and not just another room number.

Date of stay: February 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Phisher
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Gims is out of town in a residential area but offers excellent accommodation in a beautiful setting. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful offering lifts into town - a 5 minute drive away. We decided to hire a 125hp scooter from AJ's in town for 200 Baht per day; it was virtually brand new and was brilliant for the two of us going all around the local countryside using virtually no petrol! The resort is very laid back and the gardens with running water are delightful. Our bungalow no 7 was beautifully appointed with lovely views overlooking the paddy fields. Deck chairs are provided making it an ideal place just to chill out on the verandah. Although breakfast is not provided, there is free tea, coffee, biscuits and fruit available all the time. It was a joy to stay and would certainly return. In conclusion, excellent value for money, beautiful views and lovely staff, but in our opinion you do need to organise some transport to allow you to see the surrounding area. One of the best places we have stayed in.

Room tip: Ask for a bungalow overlooking the paddy fields
Date of stay: February 2014
1  Thank PatrickN225
Reviewed December 20, 2013

If you have a car, Gims resort is a very good place to stay, if you can book it with discount. The distance to the city is to far to go by foot. The house and his bathroom are very clean and big. Owners are very frienly. The houses stay in a garden and every house has a terras.
Coffee an thea, cakes and fruit are for free during the day, but there is no breakfast included.

Date of stay: October 2013