“A must do for any rider”
Review of Mae Hong Son Loop

Mae Hong Son Loop
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Mae Hong Son
Reviewed March 8, 2014

What an amazing ride! This just blew me away. I did it on a Kawasaki Versys 650. The 650 was a good size for the trip. Caution if you are doing the loop clockwise via Doi Inthanon, the gps took me down a route that was impassable. I did persist into some pretty serious off road conditions to the point where the road literally ended (cheers Garmin!). So back tracked to take a different route to the south. Did the trip in 2 days pretty comfortably, stayed in Mae Hong Son on the middle night. Never had any issues getting low on gas any where on the route. There are some unsealed sections where road works are in progress but apart from that the road quality for the most part was really good. The hill climbs were awesome and the Versys handled it well. There are some extended downhill sections which can be a little tricky. For info: I am an intermediate rider at best.

1  Thank Mickperry
There are newer reviews for Mae Hong Son Loop

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Well, many people said that if you could drive 1095, you could drive anywhere in Thailand.

It's true!

The road is filled with twist and turn. Every time you pass 1 turn you will see the next turn right away. From Chiangmai to Pang Oung which is in Mae Hong Son, you will pass through 2224 curves in total for only 200 kms route!

The route is challenging yet possess magnificent view. You will drive pass mountain top and see the view of sea of clouds along the road near Kiew Lom Viewing Point, not to mention the red leave tree filled the mountain near Mueng District in Mae Hong Son.

It is a fantastic road to drive and you will be excited with the twist and turn of this road!

Be careful though, drive carefully! Especially during rainy season!

Drive in Winter is definitely the best time to witness, cherry blossom, sea of clouds, Red leaves Tree and other amazing landscape.

Good luck and Have fun! I know I had!

2  Thank Alomotiv
Reviewed January 5, 2014

This road is any biker's dream! Almost no straight roads, loads of twisties and fantastic scenery! The full loop can be done in 2 days, but combine it with some sight seeing and do it in 4 days, with sleep over in Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son and Pai and a trip through Doi Inthanon Park. A bucket list trip!

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Yes, this is a loop road, but we would not recommend doing the entire loop. We started going through Mae Sariang, then thru Mae Hong Son, then Pai, back to Chang Mai. Unless you are a motorcyclist, and just want to complete the loop, I would only recommend the drive between Pai and Chaing Mai. That section is spectacular. The balance of the loop road is just average scenery, and Mae Sariang and Mae Hong Son are not that interesting or scenic.

9  Thank Chris H
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've just arrived in Chiang Mai after a stunning 6D/5N ride on my Scooter. I did it anti-clockwise because I didn't even know about the loop when I started. Somebody told me about in in Pai. I stayed there 3 nights (although I didn't like Pai much), 1 in Mae Hong Son and 1 in Mae Sariang. Both of the latter 'cities' are relaxed and beautiful. There are not many tourists at this time of the year, in Mae Sariang I saw about 5.

I haven't had much experience with motorbikes and even had my 14kg backpack with me. Sometimes the ride was quite challenging with all these curves. But the roads are in good condition, there are road signs everywhere (it's almost impossible to lose one's way), and the traffic isn't that bad. Just make sure to start early, because each part will take you a lot longer than you expect. Speaking of which: Take your time to see attractions on the way and around the cities. There are many. Bring a raincoat, warm clothes, and sunscreen - the weather can change from sunny to rainy in one minute (something to cover your face is quite convenient). Stay on your side of the road! Watch your fuel gauge. Pick up local maps at the Tourist Information Offices in each city/town to find remote attractions. And don't get carried away too much by the breathtaking scenery.

The rides from Chiang Mai to Pai (~130km) and from Pai to Mae Hong Son (~110km) were the most beautiful - and most challenging - for me. It's like one huge green curve, sometimes very steep. I left Chiang Mai at 02:00 pm on the first day, which is way too late, and arrived at Pai soaked and just before sunset. So again: Start early. The rides from Mae Hong Son to Mae Sariang (~160km) and from there back to Chiang Mai (190km) - I skipped the mountain and drove straight back on Route 108 - are less spectacular and easier. But still a good experience.

Enjoy your ride and take care. It's worth it.

15  Thank fhsch