“Overcrowded”

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Overcrowded”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were recently in Phuket and really wanted to go to Phi Phi Island as all the photos look absolutely beautiful. We did the full day speed boat trip. It was a really long day although the company we went with were really good and helpful.
We got to Phi Phi around 10-10.30 and I was amazed by the amount of speed boats and people crammed into Maya Bay. The Bay is beautiful, don't get me wrong but it was hard to really get a feel with the amount of people on the beach and the amount of boats pulled up to the beach. Our boat crew had to push boats out of the way to get ours up to the beach. We had about half an hour on the beach, but there was not much to do. We couldn't swim as there was no room and you had to be careful walking along not to trip over the ropes from the boats.
The amount of people heading here each day is going to ruin this beautiful spot. There was rubbish in the water everywhere.
After this we headed to another part of the island for lunch. Again over crowded. The snorkling was off the side of the boat and really wasn't that good.
I would not recommend a visit here as I am sure there are plenty of other beautiful spots in the area that is not as crowded and will allow you a better appreciation for its beauty.

If you do intent to visit Phi Phi, I don't book the tour through your hotel or resort. We booked in a booking place on the street and the price was more than half cheaper.

• Arabic first
  • Vietnamese first
Derby, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Did not enjoy this activity.”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The day started with us being placed in groups and being allocated a guide who would stay with us for the day. A speed boat ride to an island that every other person in other groups seemed to be. Overcrowded I thought by other speed boats, boats and people. There were other stops along the way to snorkel and swim but in short spurts. Lunch was massed produced and exposed but came as part of the day. I mainly ate the fresh fruit on offer.
I felt that the tour guide kept us entertained, was well mannered and deserved the tip people gave for the day. They have one of their personnel video recording us all through the day which is offered for sale at the end of the day. I will not purchase another when offered at another activity.
I would not recommend maybe look at another option that's available.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Very mixed feelings....”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

The tour we did around the Phi Phi islands was nice but the place is so touristic that it has just been ruined! The island itself is pretty grim, I like a good night out same as the rest but the place reminded me of a scuzzy strip in Malia. Kind of not what people travel halfway round the world to see! I wouldn't go back but its worth a visit once....just don't stay too long! Go to Railay instead, much more beautiful and idyllic.

Visited August 2013
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Island Hopping”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Beautiful island- a "must visit" if you're at krabi. Join the day tour for Phi Phi Island and you'll get to see picturesque and breataking view of the Andaman sea and islands

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“***MORE THAN JUST A DAY TRIP***”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

I promise you, you will not see all that these beautiful islands have to offer in just one day!

We spent 4 days of our 10 day stay in Thailand on the stunning Phi Phi Island. It really is as idyllic and wonderful as all the "tourist friendly" photos show! The island is relaxed, the locals are wonderfully friendly and the vibe is just fabulous. The colour of the water and the vibrant coral and fish make snorkelling the number one priority!

**BEST TIP**
As stunningly beautiful as Phi Phi is, the island and the locals are still struggling to get back on their feet after the devastating Boxing Day 2004 Tsunami. The biggest and best thing tourists can do to help the island return to its pre-tsunami glory is to SPEND MONEY ON LOCAL BUSINESS! The majority of the island has been rebuilt but it is a slow and steady process - all by hand, with no heavy machinery to help out. As the sun (and temperature) goes down, local builders get to work rebuilding the bars and shops that were destroyed in 2004.

Many diving/snorkelling/tour ventures are owned by ambitious ex-pats from UK, US and Australia but I guarantee you the best tour you could possibly get will be aboard a long tail "taxi boat" with a local! We paid a wonderful man named Jib and his adorable daughter (home on school holidays) each day to take us to different places on the island. He was absolutely amazing and just made our trip! He arrived super early each day just to give us the benefit of a quiet, crowd-free experience. He took us to all the most amazing spots and waited for as long as it took for us to take in all of the beautiful fish, coral and scenery. We paid him about 1,500 THB per day but it depends on how far/how long you go.

It was just the two of us, Jib and his daughter on the boat and I am sure the overcrowded, loud and noisy speed boats hurtling past were more than a little jealous! He told us many amazing stories and some heartbreaking ones from his experience during the Tsunami - the wound is still raw there but the people are resilient and their spirit is incredible.

Another tip - we stayed at the Cabana Resort - the massage at the resort was the best I have ever had in my entire life!! So good I left an excessive tip and came back EVERY day we were there!!

Must do!