“on't waste all your time drinking as the diving is amazing?”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Phi Phi Islands

Ranked #9 of 98 things to do in Krabi Town
London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“on't waste all your time drinking as the diving is amazing?”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Yes Phi Phi (pronounced pi pi) is a great party island but it is worth going to simply to dive. We are by no way expert divers, we have done a total of six dives but we still managed to be close up to a Hawkshead turtle, a stingray, moray eels, lionfish, barracudas, countless sea urchins, a spotted boxfish, sea cucumbers, peacock manfis shrimp, anemone crab, sand lizardfish and more. People on our boat saw a shark.
We went with Barracuda diving wifh a great instructor called Peter from Ireland. Very helpful and friendly would definitely recommend him.

We also went to a very good Indian near the pier.

Koh Phi Phi we hope you stay beautiful. More divers, less drinkers please

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Breath taking views
The boot ride from phuket to the 1st island was very bumpy due to wind condition.

however once your there, everything is forgotten and the views are amazing.
Would go back again in the near future.

Avoca Beach, Australia
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 151 helpful votes
“Nature and the sights are wonderfull but very crowded”
Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We booked using phuket easy tours who broker out to another company. In the am after hotel transfer there is a fair bit of standing around waiting for other travellers and our boats turn at the jetty which is wasted time and very boring. The scenery is breathtaking and the beaches are spectacular. The down side is that everywhere you go about 50 other speedboats of 40-50 people will be there also...mostly chinese/japanese who cant swim and make a nuisance of themselves in the water. The day tour finished at krai island and it would have been better to spend all day at phi phi as krai island is a tourist trap although beautiful. 75 baat pp to hire a chair for 1 hour that you are there...we didnt bother and expensive food and drinks.....we got 2 cocktails bartering after an initial price for e of 200 baat per cocktail to 100 each. This day tour is a must do to see the sights and try and ignore the crowds as best you can. The company will try and get you to rent flippers for 100 baat pp citing swells and dangerous coral...this is a scam...dont bother you will be fine. Snorkelling is a average....much better Snorkelling back home in oz....but ok and still worthwhile. Prepare for a very crowded boat. If you can afford it hire a boat to yourself and go where you like....this would be perfect

1 Thank Raich-11
Newcastle Australia
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Phi Phi Island Day Tour with Phuket Tours Direct”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This is my eight tour to Phuket & I've always been a strong advocate of waiting until you were "in-Country" to book tours, etc. However this time before travelling I stumbled across the website of Phuket Tours Direct which had unbelievably cheap prices, but I stuck to my own advice and waited until I was "in-country' to book our tours. However after not finding any cheaper prices, even after much haggling i emailed Phuket Tours Direct and they sent one of their travel agents (Nok) to our hotel. We booked the Phi Phi Island day tour on the cruise boat & we had a great day. The Cruise boat was great, and the 1.5hr cruise out to the island was great. We stopped at Maya bay (?) where the movie "The Beach" was filmed & had an hour snorkling in the pristine waters just off Phi Phi itself. My only regret was that in hindsight I would book the speed boat tour for a number of reasons. First off because you get there faster with a smaller group, second of all you are able to get into the smaller bays & beaches where the fantastic pristine waters are. Its a bit dearer but worth the extra expense.

7 Thank Mark D
Barcelona, Spain
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Incredibly overrated, the crowds and noise spoil them completely”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I arrived at Phi Phi from Krabi, after visiting some of the small islands of the area, and staying in the charming Krabi Town. Someone told me that the Phi Phi islands were worth seeing, and I gave them a go.
But what a disappointment! Forget about the idyllic images of The Beach. When you go to visit it (Mayan Bay) you will probably be accompanied by around 3000 other noisy tourists arriving in packs in huge noisy speedboats. When I was there it reminded me one of those crowded beaches in Hong Kong. So there's no charm on the natural surroundings when all you see is people and instead of the sound of the sea, you hear engines.
Even worse is Phi Phi Don, the big island, which is the most overcrowded beach resort I've ever been to. And the lack of space makes it the most expensive area in Thailand, if you are lucky enough to find a place to stay. Then in the night the heaven breaks loose and the terrible noise from the beach bars (you have to be there to believe how loud it can be) won't let you sleep if you have to get up early to grab the first ferry to leave such a terrible place, which was what I did.
There's sooooo many beautiful islands in Thailand... if you want my advice, don't waste your time or your money (a lot) on this place.

5 Thank mangelhm