“TERRIBLE!! ABUSE!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“TERRIBLE!! ABUSE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Please don't do this!! I was ignorant to all the abuse these elephant go through just for tourist enjoyment. The moment I got on the elephant I wanted to get off!! I feel terrible I supported this abuse of this gentle giants. The handlers use fear and intimidation. The elephants are tied up and you can tell try have had the life sucked out of them. I never wrote a review but after what I experienced today I felt the need to try to stop people from going to something like this!! Worst thing I've done in Thailand thus far!!

6 Thank Jennifer7700

• Polish first
  • Thai first
“Amazing experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

I had a great time as soon as I arrived, I get around with crutches and they helped me whenever possible, the ride on the elephant was great and very friendly, I enjoyed every moment

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Disgusting tourist-funded cruelty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place was the single most depressing and regretful experience of my life. The animals are clearly treated dreadfully and have been broken in by torture and fear - most of the elephants bear scars and ripped ears and you can see the terror in their eyes when one of the stoned/drunk unprofessional horrible little mahouts are shouting at them and using their bull hooks to control them. Oh my god please do not go to this place and fund the further torture of these amazing animals. I wish I could turn back the clock but I naively thought it was a sanctuary. I should have done my research better. The elephants were clearly exhausted oh and some were blind which is part of a practice used in Thailand (I recently learnt about this) when breaking their spirits as babies by chaining them up and beating them for weeks on end and poking them in the eyes/ears etc. Please think twice before funding this horrible place. I wish I had.

6 Thank Redfoxjo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A dust bowl with a side of abuse.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Our trek was the most depression part of my trip to Thailand. The mahout was cracking our obviously tired elephant with his stick constantly whilst calling the poor creature a 'ladyboy', laughing and mockingly pretending to drive the metal pick into the elephants skull for our 'amusement'.

He stopped to chat to the other mahouts for most of the 'trek', and spent 5 minutes picking at some tree sap. The surroundings were well trodden, and looked like a western ghost town minus the saloon.

All in all a terrible experience, the highlight was the stream, which was gorgeous, but lets be honest not worth the baht to see just that.

2 Thank frogknight
Alicante, Spain
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“So glad we went”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

The area is very well kept and natural looking, it was lovely to see the elephants in this environment, lots of shade, a clear river to swiming and people cleaning up behine the elephants, the owner is a very lovely guy and you can tell he really care about the animals. Fantastic experience!!!!