“Guides friendly and elephants well looked after”

Nosey Parker's Elephant Camp - Private Day Tours
Koh Tao, Thailand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Guides friendly and elephants well looked after”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I recently visited this elephant sanctuary as part of a full day excursion, with kayaking in the morning followed by the elephant trek in the afternoon after lunch in a seafood restaurant (bought through hostel at B1,200 each as group discount for 3 of us).

The kayak tour was great fun as we kayaked a good distance through the mangroves, with our guide 'Banana' attentively pointing out wildlife such as monitor lizards, hermit crabs, walking fish, and tree snakes. We were shown two caves, one with historic paintings 5,000 years old. But the elephant trek made this excursion memorable.

We arrived at the site with our guide and I got chatting to the owner, who kindly provided us with freshly plucked longan fruit and encouraged us to try the short cucumbers that are fed to the elephants as treats as part of their 200kg diet. The mahouts were friendly and were paired with their elephants. There are 9 females and they all look very healthy, and between rides can be seen eating away in the camp between the huts. Although some reviews here report abuse, I can only base my opinion on my experience and the two mahouts who led us were very gentle, knowledgeable and did not use any bull hooks. We learned our elephants names and the Thai meaning, and they had fun exploring the jungle and the guides let them play together. Our guides were laid back and allowed us to ride on their necks, and the elephants showed no signs of distress and continued to flap their ears and happily munch away. The elephant my sister rode had a skill of finding large spiders which was quite amusing!

After the ride, we fed our elephants and could buy a large laminated picture crossing the river for B200, and you can choose the image before it is printed. The animals looked very well looked after and not overworked. There was no mention of the mahouts being underpaid or looking fed up, so I hope that these issues have since been fully resolved.

Visited August 2013
7 Thank LinsChynoweth

• Polish first
  • Thai first
Gurun, Kedah, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bad ...”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We book from Agent not direct from Nosey Parker. We went there around 12pm , they say no elephant for us to trekking we still need to wait 1hrs more. So at the end we go other place after they promise 2pm or 3pm will be our time for elephant trekking. At 3pm something we arrival there , they still the same answer for us , all elephant is out , then we still need to wait 1hrs. Ok fine . we are waiting .. After our time , they only walk into the jungle way and always stop for the elephant and sell their own thing for us. We dun wan buy , then they just walk street and turn back to the place . Not like we expect anymore. Very bad service and no view to see anymore.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Jack9978
Wellington, New Zealand
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Wonder experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had a lovely morning elephant trekking. The elephants were relaxed and looked well cared for. They had swims and were free to walk around. Our guide controlled the elephant purely through voice prompts.

As an animal lover I was apprehensive about this, but felt very happy about the elephants welfare :)

2 Thank SB_Sheppard
Sydney, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Cruel - Elephants Treated Badly.”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I cannot recommend this camp. The mahouts on our trip were hitting the elephants with a bull hook and yelling at them the entire time. They were also smoking on top of the elephants. I cannot believe this place is good for the elephants. Elephants are sensitive, highly intelligent and social creatures who deserve better. Please don't go, there are other ways of taking pictures and interacting with elephants. I leave Thailand with a sad heart over this experience.

6 Thank binarybelle
Penang, Malaysia
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Sorry Elephant, I had a wonderful time riding on your back but I promise I will not do it again. The elephants are trained to be able to raise its trunk to pose for photos, walk left or right, stop, etc but I wonder how are they trained? I hope no cruel trainings. It was a great experience but I pity the elephants at the same time because we are heavy (like 100kg for 2 Asians?) Price is around 800baht per person with mini van transport. If you are lucky you could haggle for a lower price.