“Laid back relaxation resort”

and 1 more site!
Bonhomie Beach Cottages
Ranked #120 of 310 Specialty Lodging in Krabi Town
nottingham
“Laid back relaxation resort”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Great place with a back to nature feel about it, small resort with lovely beach, about 4 or 5 other places along the beach to eat and drink. Paul was a good host and speaks good English. He will arrange any onward travel for you. No facilities to change money here. It felt like you were staying in the jungle with the monkey's waking you up in the mornings. Fantastic place to unwind and watch the beautiful sunsets.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank binxs

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Mokpo
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed at Bonhomie for a few nights in Aug. 2013, the low season. There were only a couple places open on the island during this time. In fact, we were the ONLY guests at Bonhomie during our stay. It was awesome! Even though he had no other customers, Paul made us feel welcome and made our stay convenient and enjoyable. His staff were super friendly and accommodating. We really appreciated the fact that he stayed open for us during such a low business time. It was like our own private beach. Yes, there are some precarious looking stray dogs around but if you are just aware of them they are not a problem. Carry a stick and be aware of your surroundings. It is in the jungle, after all! ..which is of course part of the experience, in my opinion. Oh, and the beds are HUGE!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank erica v
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at Bonhomie in January 2013. Our original booking was for 4 nights but we ended up staying eight nigts because of the general great atmosphere of the place and and the beach.

Don't be alarmed by the name of the island - the other part is called Koh Pu and the other part Koh Jum. They're the same island.

Bonhomie had a very nice beachy vibe. The bungalows were comfortable, had a mosquito net and beautiful, sturdy furniture. The place was surrounded by trees in a way that if you looked from the water you didn't see the bungalows so you felt like living in the jungle. The beach had some hammocks and sunchairs, and there were motorbikes to rent for a very reasonable price.

Bonhomie had an excellent bookshelf filled with books left by other travellers. The owner Paul spoke fluent English and was excellent company in the night and had wonderful stories. The bar was basic but the drinks excellent.

The North beach the place is located at is a quieter one and a bit rocky, but it was a perfect getaway to forget everyone else in the world. Highly recommended stay, regardless of the snake we found one day in our bathroom. (Seriously, you can't go to the islands in Thailand and not expect to encounter wildlife at some point.)

Room Tip: We stayed at the beach front room. Very nice with warm water.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jinnej
Co. Galway
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed in Bonhomie in January 2013. We intended to stay for 3 or 4 nights, but actually stayed for 11. It was wonderful. Bungalows are spacious and of great quality. A king-sized bed and matching mosquito net provided us with a very comfortable and secure sleep.
Visits from a local monkey colony on a regular basis gave us the feeling that we were really living in the jungle. They were not afraid of us, but did keep their distance.
We became great friends with all the staff of Bonhomie, and Paul, the owner, who speaks perfect English, was very informative and helpful, and always ready to have a chat about any subject at all.
Food was of a high standard, and they have a nice little bar just on the beach.
There are good quality motorbikes for rent and canoes, masks and snorkles to borrow. Wi-fi is availble at no charge.
Altogether this is a perfect place for people who want to just relax and maybe share the experience with like-minded people from various countries........don't expect night-life though.

Room Tip: All bungalows are more or less the same quality. The cheaper ones are behind, among the trees and mo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Koh Jum is a great little island, and there are so many neat properties to stay. Despite the fact that the proprietors at Bonhomie were friendly folks, I have to give this property a rating of "Terrible." During my two-night stay on Koh Jum, a dog on the property at Bonhomie bit my leg while I was walking on the pathway at Bonhomie from my room down to the restaurant on site. I was supposed to stay an extra night at the property, but because of the dog bite I had to be evacuated to the mainland to receive treatment at the local hospital.

I will say this -- Bonhomie didn't ask me to pay for the two meals I ate there (which, anyway, were overpriced compared to other places on the island, namely Freedom Bar and Bungalow on the other side of the island), nor did they collect the $10 I owed for my motorbike rental for the day. However, they refused to refund me for the second night that I had booked but had to give up after being bitten by a dog while on their property.

I would have given thought into offering a less scathing review if the managers had been respectful in their answer when I asked my booking agent to try and get a refund for the night of stay that I ended up not using. Instead they wrote this:

"1) You were bitten by dog - the dog does not belong to the hotel
2) Hotel did even collected meal expanses from you and called taxi to sent you to the hospital and even provided you with their contact number, in the event you needed further help.
3) The area you were bitten was not in the hotel's area.
4) It was your willingness to put your hand near the dog's head."

Of course the hotel called me a taxi to go to the hospital! That would have been idiotic if they hadn't helped me get access to local healthcare. Not only that, it's a blatant lie that the incident didn't occur in the "hotel's area." It happend on their property, on the path that they cleared that went from their bungalows down to their restaurant. How is that not "the hotel's area?" Also, why would I put my hand out to a stray dog in Thailand? The dog bit my leg, anyway, not my hand.

At any rate, offering me a refund for the one night would have helped me offset the cost of the (expensive) treatment I had to undertake as a result of the dog bite, and I probably wouldn't have left any review whatsoever. However, they refused any such refund, so I'm writing my negative review because, frankly, there are TONS of other places on Koh Jum that you can stay, likely with management that will try to appease their customers. I especially wouldn't recommend this place for people with kids as there are stray dogs running around all over the place -- doesn't seem safe to me!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank A L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is one of around six small resorts on this very long beach and it is perfect. Its peaceful with the most fantastic hosts. Paul and his family are stars. Recommend a trip to nearby coconut beach too. I stayed here in January 2012.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sarahs_voice
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2012

two highlights of my trip to Thailand - Kho Phi Phi - beautiful but noisy - lots of people
and discos -
just an hour over the sea from Phi phi ( or a short boat trip from Krabi ) Kho Pu / Kho Jum -
the island has two names , jum for the south and pu for the north - the whole island is quiet but Kho Pu is the quitest and that's where I found Bonhomie resort .-
reasonable prices , stylish wooden bungalows , friendly reception , perfect if you want to get away from it all

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo