“Very good guest house”

Ranked #40 of 303 Krabi Town B&B and Inns
Krabi Town, Thailand
“Very good guest house”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed at good dream 2 for few nights. It's very good guest house for only 150B per night (200B the fisrt night) for a single room. I didn't have a private bathroom but the share bathroom was very clean. The room is simple but good to spend a good night (clean, FAN, Wifi).
The staff is very nice and welcoming. There is a restaurant and the food is so good, Wan is an excellent cooker.
I went to a lot of guest house and this one was one of my favorite, mostly for this price.
I recommand without hesitation if you want to stay in Krabi town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I came across this place online and I booked it before I got anywhere near it... American owned, it has a basic but very tasty food menu that does not dissapoint. Beer is a bit cheaper here than most of the bars in Krabi town and the tours on offer at cheaper than most of the surrounding tour guides. Lovely staff and great laid back atmosphere. Would definitely recommend! We stayed in a private room with aircon so I couldn't say what the shared accomodation is like...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thailand
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I have been living in SE Asia for nearly a decade. For years i have been visiting, eating and enjoying the ambiance, location and great service at Good Dream Guest house. The owner, Bryan, is thoroughly knowledgeable on Krabi and all aspects of travelling in Thailand. He runs a guest house the way you would want to run it if it was your own.The food is amazing. Big portions,generous amounts of sauce and condiments with every meal and importantly, the booze is Cheap.!
The lobby/ communal area is where the fun really happens.I have made dozens of friends and met the most amazing people just by sitting in the Lobby, clocking up free WiFi, and watching awesome movies and sports clips on the array of TVs. There is no pretentious, stuffy, class structure in this Lobby. And that's the way i like it. The rooms are as you would expect for the budget price you are charged. You can sleep and relax in your room. I don't think you will be spending most of the time in your room anyway. You will be on the beach or kayaking in mangroves, or diving with Nemo, or just sitting downstairs enjoying the food and making friends. The guest house is painted yearly and kept very clean. I imagine the owner spends much of his day scrubbing, washing and lifting things in order to provide all manner of travelers with good, clean, honest, basic accommodation.
If you want the best location in Krabi, the biggest plates of food in SE asia, and a place where you are made to feel welcome and wanted. Stay at Good Dream.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 1, 2013

The staff really makes this place great! For budget accommodations Good Dream is clean and the beds are comfortable (not hard). Wifi worked great in the room. Air con worked great. People were great. Location is one block from the river and night market. Airport is 15 minutes away in no traffic at 7am. But I think the best part might have been the burgers.

Bryan knows how to make a excellent burger. We have been traveling SE Asia for over 7 months and this is the first place that serves real back home burgers. I think Bryan is from the East Coast so he knows how to make burgers great. Wish I could eat one now, but I'm in Malaysia. My son loved them so much he ate a whole one by himself and that never happens!

Next time we stop through Krabi town we will stay here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 5_Around_The_World
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

To contextualise this review, myself and my boyfriend have been backpacking in SE Asia since January and have stayed in many a basic accommodation and would certainly not consider ourselves to be very fussy or demanding when paying for budget accommodation.

The pros; the staff are friendly, helpful and cheery so we have no complaints with service at all. The restaurant is nice and food is pretty decent. The rooms are budget and in that sense, I guess you get what you pay for.

The cons; the shared bathroom was not clean. We don't expect a lot for 300 baht p/n, and can live with basic, sparse and functional digs but dirty, not. The room was reasonable to be fair but the shared bathroom was quite frankly, disgusting. There was a sign apologizing for its state and indicating a renovation was to be done in low season but regardless of this, it should have been cleaned for new guests. It was really filthy, to the point that myself and boyfriend did not really want to use it. Walls are also paper-thin so inconsiderate guests getting stoned and talking loudly at night, kept us up for most of the night.

This place has a really great ethos and the staff were genuinely helpful and warm. However, despite its budget label and principles, a clean bathroom for new guests should be a given in my book, whether you are paying 300 or 3,000 baht a night and I am afraid it just wasn't up to scratch. The facilities were not a problem but basic cleanliness should be a given in any accommodation and whether this room was due to be renovated or not, there is no excusing it to be cleaned regularly (ie. daily).

Disappointed to write this but have stayed in many places of similar price and have had much cleaner washing facilities. Despite a great ethos, please do not let it excuse basic cleanliness.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank katieepsomuk
GoodDreamGuy, Manager at Good Dream Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 5, 2013
Thank you for your review and candor:

The bathroom being dirty is inexcusable, and i wont attempt to make any excuse about that. I agree with you and it should not occur. We clean the shared baths 2x a day using pretty abrasive chemicals, many times i do this process myself. They look pretty good and clean after that. However, it only takes one inconsiderate guest in order to mess that up for everyone.

If anyone in the future has this problem please find me or a member of my staff and it will be cleaned again. I can't always know the state of the 9 shared baths we have but if one ends up dirty, i will clean it again, gladly.

Basically, in a guesthouse environment our guests enjoyment is largely dependent on the courtesy of the other guests and unfortunately, sometimes people are a bit inconsiderate (remember the scene from "The Beach"? At least that guy wasn't staying here :) )

Thank you for your comments about my staff and our ethos, i like to think we do a good job of that and can only promise to try harder to keep the common areas clean. We will have a staff meeting about this immediately because it is of paramount concern.

Enjoy the rest of your travels. -Bryan
Chaiyaphum, Thailand
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Cheap and cheerful, this was a comfortable stay (Good Dream 2) at a very reasonable price. We paid 270 baht per night and were upgraded from the standard room to the deluxe room (presumably because we booked in advance). So our room had a lot of natural daylight and was sizeable. It didn't have a fridge and TV as advertised for the deluxe room though (not that we had paid for this anyway).

The bed was uncomfortable and the bathroom wasn't the cleanest, but I have no complaints for the price. One thing you'll notice in south east Asia is that architecture in the cheaper guesthouses needs some work - this was yet another place where the bathroom actively attracted mosquitoes, flies and silverfish because it had little light, air and was obviously very damp.

Oh well, you'll find this kind of thing anywhere in Thailand at budget prices. I'd recommend Good Dream.

PS. I never Bryan, but he could do with painting a smile on the Thai chap who manned Good Dream 2's face.

PPS. Make sure you visit Railay from here, and go to the west facing beach - this is true paradise!

Room Tip: Try and get your hands on the deluxe room!