“More than the expectation”

AVANI Khon Kaen Hotel & Convention Centre
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Very nice hotel
comfortable location
breakfast is not so good
the hotel is under renovation so it is so noisy and all the dust we have to run through it
but most of all I still feel good and I will be back here for sure

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed during 14-20 September for my business trip, it is an amazing place to stay. Nice staff, fantastic food. Even hotel location is named out of city but actually for me by driving 5 minutes is acceptable. In night time I can sleep peacefully with nice view rather than a loud noise in city.

Great Place to stay and sure come back

Room Tip: Even number room will be nicer view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Excuse the construction and no elevator from ground floor to lobby as they are still under construction so the hotel has not been completed. Parking is not convenient and there is no handicap access to get from the ground floor to your room.

The room itself is very comfortable and has panoramic views. It is quite far from the city center so it is important that one has his own transportation as it was in our case. Centara always has excellent security and qualified work staff.

The breakfast buffet is on par with a 3 star hotel, it is overpriced and the omelette bar cooks don't understand English. I was happy to see they hire hearing impaired cook as she read my lips and was accommodating.

The oath restaurant staff on a food order to take to go did not have the common sense to provide me with eating utensils., go figure. My most regretful experience was at the spa. I paid 600 baht for a excellent massage, however, I came and provided a voucher for a extra 30 minutes which was left in the room. It was presented to the staff prior to the message, at the end of the message the staff said that voucher was no longer valid, big mistake, should of told me when I presented it.

I have stayed at the premiere locations in Bangkok and Krabi, this location has a lot of work to bring it up to there standards. Management has much work ahead to insure better standards. Good luck, as I will return, my Little boy loved the pool. It actually is the correct temperature for swimming and its a big pool too.

Room Tip: Wait till the construction is done sometime in November 2013, great value otherwise
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Nice hotel with friendly staff, the hotel located in the city surrounding with lake, in morning I can get fresh air even this hotel is a city hotel. Buffet breakfast not so bad for me, staff very helpful
Overall is so good and well

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Ammy2013817
gmckk, General Manager at AVANI Khon Kaen Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Dear Ammy2013817,

Greetings

I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stay with us despite the upgrading renovation
of the hotel facade and facilities.

I hope you will return and see the new Centara Hotel and Convention Centre in a better perspective.

Once again, thank you for your excellent feedback

Reviewed September 13, 2013

One of the most noticeable (and irritating) features of the Centara Hotel is the water system, that alternates between being too hot and too cold, with lower water pressure rising to industrial-strength power with little warning. Not so nice for showers! There are similar problems with the air conditioning system, which alternates from being too hot to being too cold, seemingly without any relationship to the settings of the in-room thermostat.

These features epitomize the hotel, which run "hot and cold" with regard to services and facilities. Check-in was a bit slow and bell service a little sleepy. The lobby is attractive and modern. Rooms are in the back, reached by walking to lifts past a pool with an unattractive unfinished fountain.

The room I had was mostly attractive, although I never understand who in their right mind designs these bathrooms with glass walls as if patrons want to be exhibitionists while in the shower or sitting on the toilet stool! The windows offered a poor view, not the least because they were dirty on the outside and appeared as if uncleaned for months. As pointed out by another review, the electrical outlets are inadequate for convenient computer use, and the TV was a little on the small side. Other than that the room was excellent. Nice beds; excellent lighting (difficult to find in most hotels); spacious; very clean!

There are a number of nice restaurants and pubs in the hotel, although most seemed to be empty the entire time I was there, except for the breakfast restaurant. The breakfast buffet was not 5-star quality, but quite good, with the usual selections of salad, vegetables, bacon, eggs, breads, fruits, etc. Service was a bit slow, but friendly.

The hotel was busy, but reluctantly agreed to 2:00 p.m. late check out without too much hassle.

Overall, the hotel is quite good, but still has some opportunities for improvement.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Raintree_Thailand
gmckk, General Manager at AVANI Khon Kaen Hotel & Convention Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Raintree,

Greetings and thank you for your invaluable feedbacks.

We have noted all your comments and sincerely apologise for our short comings in facilities and service.

I assure you that we have seriously looked into all your comments and other tripadvisor reviews that have been posted in tripadvisor in the past months.

The hotel has since started another renovation to address all the concerns of our invaluable guests and hope that you will bear with us for the time being. The renovation of the facilities will be completed by end of October 2013 and you will see a new-looked property.

We are also scheduled to have our Grand Opening on 1 November 2013 and hope to receive you again in the near future to be a proof of an excellent product of Centara Hotel and Convention Centre in Khon Kaen.

Once again, my most sincere apologise

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This hotel opened over a year ago, but still many "bugs" to work out. Not really up to 5-star standard as this hotel should be (as part of the Centara chain.)

The room: Air conditioning was too hot or too cold and could not be adjusted to comfort; several lights were out; the phone didn't work, and no power outlets were available at the desk for working on a computer or charging the phone. The only two nearby outlets were taken up by the desk lamp and wifi router, neither one would wish to give up to work on their computer. The hot pot for heating water wasn't user-friendly. We called an engineer to the room, and it took him 15 minutes to figure out how to turn it on. The hot water in the shower is dependent on how much hot water the adjoining rooms use. In other words, it was a constant dance in and out of hot/frigid water, depending on who was flushing the toilet at the moment. An abysmal plumbing problem for a 5-star hotel.

The service: On check-in, we asked for an ironing board/iron to be sent to the room immediately, as there was a meeting in 1.5 hours and I needed to press my shirt/pants. After 1.5 hours, I called the desk again, and it came in about 10 minutes--but too late for my important business meeting. i had to wear to the meeting a rumpled shirt and pants in which I had been traveling.

Facilities: Based on the information in the website, I took valuable space in my travel luggage for exercise-room shoes and clothes. Upon check in, I found that the fitness center, a year later, is still not ready. They also advertise a poolside bar, but that is not operational as well. This "convention center/hotel" is also in serious need of a business center where one may make copies, do print outs, faxes and generally work during the day time.

Location: As mentioned in other reviews. The hotel is not within walking distance of anything. You are captive to the in-house restaurants unless you take a taxi somewhere. Also, it's difficult if you need to pick up any personal items like toiletries while staying there. The hotel could use a little variety shop (basic toiletries, pens, souvenirs, aspirin, etc.) for its customers.

I give this supposed 5-star hotel only 3 stars until they can get their operations and facilities up to standard.

Room Tip: Surroundings are quite drab, but at least request a pool-side room, as the view is better than stree...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Prof587

Dear Raintree,

Greetings and thank you for your invaluable feedbacks.

Once again, my most sincere apologise

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We found this hotel a little bit sterile, it is still being completed so is lacking atmospere. Being new, the rooms and facilities are spotless. For location it is isolated from Khon Kaen central though only a short trip by taxi but a bit too far to walk in the northern heat. The surrounding real estate is an eyesore. Staff are lovely. I think more suited for large groups than family orientated. The swimming pool area is under construction, the pool design and location is poor.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple