“Electricity comes as an extra”
Review of Piman Garden Hotel

Piman Garden Hotel
Ranked #17 of 65 Hotels in Khon Kaen
Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

The rooms at the Piman are clean, modern and spacious, it's a nice set-up built away from the road so the hotel rooms are fairly quiet even though its on a main road.
I hadn't made a reservation, I just happened to be walking past and saw a promotion sign offering rooms at 600 baht. At reception I was told all the 600 baht rooms were occupied, I looked around (it was nighttime) and I couldn't see a single light on in any of the rooms. I questioned the receptionists honesty and pointed the absence of a single light on in any of the rooms. She stuck to her story and told me she only had 900 baht rooms available. Being as I was only there for one night and it was getting late I took the 900 baht option even though I knew the receptionist was bent.
The next morning on checking out I was presented with an electricity bill for 127 baht. Astounded, I refused to pay, I've never been charged for electricity in any hotel in the world. I thought this was a really cheap despicable trick. The receptionists attitude was reprehensible, she obviously had a very slovenly attitude towards foreigners. After a few heated words they backed off, I told them to call the police and walked out leaving their bogus electric bill unpaid.
It's a pity they have devious dishonest staff working here because the hotel itself is good. As coincidence would have it I know a fellow Englishman who is married to a Thai and lives in Khon Kaen. He too stayed at this hotel a couple of years ago and they tried to pull the same stunt on him. That points to the fact that this is a ruse that is used on a regular basis and not just a one off.

• Stayed: May 2012
17  Thank Informatio
There are newer reviews for Piman Garden Hotel

Reviewed January 13, 2012

My wife and I spent four nights at the Piman Garden hotel in October 2011. The hotel is easy to find when driving to Khon Kaen, easy to park but the parking lot elevator is terrible and seems grossly undersized for a modern hotel. We booked a deluxe room, it was fairly furnished, clean but the hallway noise came right into the room. Front desk and room cleaning staff seemed polite. If you wanted to walk about downtown Khon Kaen this is a well located hotel and it is set off the street which does make a genuine difference. However, without a doubt the worst Thai and worst Farang breakfast my wife and I had ever had at a Hotel, no matter what price range, in Thailand. Lazy non helpful staff in the open air breakfast area, poor ingredients, genuine not worth the free price it cost. Plenty of restaurants for those that enjoy Thai food near the restaurant in a modest price range. An overpriced for Khon Kaen Italian restaurant is connected to the hotel building which we did not try and we never viewed any other restaurant patrons in four days. So depending on what you pay it is a decent hotel, but plan to eat elsewhere for breakfast and be careful of the parking garage elevator.

Room Tip: This hotel gets charter bus groups so request a room farther back from the bus parking area. We stay...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank IssanExpat
Reviewed July 19, 2011

If you want a 5-star hotel, stay at the Pullman. If you want to spend a lot less money, have more space, have a small kitchen, and have a decent free breakfast, then the Piman is a good choice for you. This is a no-frills place with no pool, fitness facilities, or even a lobby. We had a room with a living area and a bedroom so that creates a little more space for a longer stay with family. It was clean, and the A/C worked well, but the wireless internet access was spotty, the breakfast did not have much variety, and our shower was terribly inconsistent ranging from burning hot to freezing in a split second. For someone wanting western food, there is a nice Italian restaurant, Stella, right next door. The modern shopping mall is not far away, the city museum is nearby, and there is an interesting city scene in the streets around the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank MizzouLizard
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Very nice rooms at a good value of 850 baht per night.'

Internet is very iffy, at best.

Breakfast is horrid. They make it around 6am, then let it sit out in chafing dishes for hours on end. Cold and vulkanized. Don't bother with the breakfast

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank basket_case57
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Looked good on the website (which now seems to have disappeared). Quick response from the hotel to my booking enquiry. I booked a Deluxe Room with balcony and kitchenette for 8 days, and also arranged to be picked up from the airport (at additional cost). When I arrived, on time, there was no-one at the airport so had to get a taxi. On arrival at the hotel none of the three girls behind the desk spoke much/any English so was not able to ascertain the reason for the lack of transport. They did not seem to know which room I had booked and I ended up in a Standard Room but was still charged the price for the Deluxe. (Several weeks later I returned and was given a refund). I was unable to connect with the hotel WiFi for more than a couple of seconds during my whole stay so could not check my booking details. I sent an email to Duncan, who had confirmed my booking, after I left the hotel asking for his comments but have not heard anything to date.

The hotel is fine, rooms clean, location within easy reach of anywhere in the city. There is just no communication with the guests. No information on facilities. There was breakfast included, I believe, but no-one told us about it. It would not take much effort to make the hotel much better and more welcoming.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank norfolkboi
Reviewed May 7, 2011

The Piman Garden Hotel is pleasant little oasis in Khon Kaen. It is about ten minutes by Tuk tuk from the old bus station and about 5 minues walk from the new one, called the airconditioned bus station. (the airconditioned refers to the buses i think as the station is open air). This latter bus station has the very good quality Chantour buses. The hotel has no internet but across the road from it you ll find an internet shop that is open until 10.00 pm. Outside the hotel and along the road you find several street stalls with their foods in the evenings. A lot seems to happen about 15 minutes walk away near the shopping complext which has cinemas, coffee shops, etc. Outside you also find several restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed March 17, 2011

The room was very nice. I booked a Deluxe room. Wifi reception was intermittent and when it worked you needed calendar to measure its speed (65 kb/s !). The front desk staff seemed more intererested in chatting with each other than attending to the guests.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business