“Thai bungalows!”
Review of Sam's Guesthouse

Sam's Guesthouse
Ranked #47 of 108 Kanchanaburi B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I picked this guest house because of their traditional Thai bungalows, by the river! and they are indeed beautiful and a refreshing view from any other guesthouse.

The room is pretty basic but such a good value, the four of us stayed in a room with a double bed and two single beds (2rooms with 2 private bathrooms) for ny 1000b.

There are many places you can sit and lounge around, the view down near the river is quiet good and the guesthouse have many seating areas. Breakfast are inexpensive starting from 60b, not included with the room price.

To get around is quite easy, you can walk for 15mins to the War Cemetery and the Bridge, yet I think location does not really matter as Kanchanaburi is quite a bit of a stretch for walking on foot. Best to get a songtaew/motor taxi or rent a bicycle, which you can do just in front of the guesthouse.

Towels are provided, but toilettries meant tiny bar of soap that won't last one day so remember to bring your own.

The guesthouse is beside the river and swampy area with many trees and a garden, meaning there are mosquitoes. But applying mosquito repellent is a smalk price to pay to relax in this pretty guesthouse.

The surrounding is quite and I had a really really good night sleep!

The minus would be no working hot shower at the time (or maybe I just didnt know how to turn it on, so make sure say something to the owner!)

Suffice to say, I like this guesthouse for its beautiful Thai traditional bungalows and i expensive room fee, but you can get a little more comfortable one around town for a cheaper price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 29, 2013

The surrounding is quite and I had a really really good night sleep!

Suffice to say, I love this guesthouse for its beautiful Thai traditional bungalows and i expensive room fee, but you can get a little more comfortable one around town for a cheaper price. But Sam's House is lovely and so worth it! :)

Room Tip: The bungalow seems more beautiful but it is comfier in the normal room. Will have more mosquitoes to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We booked through HostelWorld again here. It had been a long journey to Kanchanaburi from Ranong and when we arrived it was lashing it down, monsoon style! The grounds were puddle riddled on the way in and once in our room we could tell that the building wasn't used to such downpours. The roof was leaking, this was dripping through in a few different places including one right on top of the TV.
We put our bags away from the puddles for the night and it drier up by morning.
Needless to say the TV never worked (not a serious issue for us as we didn't spend a lot of time in the room), we also got woken up frequently by the resident child having a tantrum but apart from that is had a good location, it was clean, cheap and the staff were friendly enough.

Stay here if you're on a budget, its not lashing it down and you don't mind 6:30 mornings.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan D
Reviewed April 20, 2013

The guesthouse is situated at the banks of river in Kanchanburi, not very far from the thai burma train tourist spot.
Rooms were absolutely neat and clean.
We checked in around 12:30am in night and had not even pre-booked the rooms, the staff were cooperative.
They do have some breakfast menu options but we did not try.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We stayed here in November 2012 as part of our traveling, when we looked up the reviews we were not sure what to expect but we were really surprised :-) we booked a superior bungalow and it was lovely set on the river and your own space, the only bad thing was the shower i did not like the shower that's the only negative
The staff were so so so nice they helped us with everything, they do you washing for a small amount, they make breakfast and any request (e.g. extra pillows) they did it no problem :-)
I really enjoyed my time here and it is close to all shops bars restaurants and everything you need
Stay here its nice :-)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in the AC bungalows with private bathroom. Our shower had some small bugs in it, but the other ones were fine so I guess we just lucked out. The location is fine and the rooms are okay. If you just want a decent place to sleep while visiting Kanchanaburi, this place is fine.

Note: only one women speak some English. When she's not around, communication is quite impossible.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was uncomfortable when i got there and they didn't have my reservation. Or as it appeared maybe don't even track reservations? The woman at the front desk put me in an AC room for 500 bhat.. It was clean and ok in the day, but I noticed the bathroom window didn't have a screen and faced the main street. I'm sorry but if I'm sleeping in a tropical savanna in a random town by myself, I'm going to need a screen come darkness. There was already a butterfly in my room which I dismissed as cute, but I really had no interest in waking up in the middle of the night to anything else in the bathroom. I might as well sleep outside.

Aside from the room issues, the place seemed empty and i initially picked it because I thought it would be a good place to meet people. The staff didn't really speak english and having come from southern Thailand, I guess I was a little spoiled in that way. It was my last leg of the trip and I just needed it to be easy. I asked several questions about the trains and trips and the woman didn't have much interest in helping me so I went in search of another place and left.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo