“elephant riding for beginners”

Taweechai Elephant Camp
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Part of the river kwai trip is an option to ride on the back of an elephant for a quarter of an hour. I had a chirpy Thai for a while sitting on the front and I on a metal chair on the rear He asked me if I wanted photos for a tip and when I agreed he jumped off and told me to sit on the elephants head and we were away with him popping up in the undergrowth taking a series of photos. It was very nerve racking when the elephant " eltie kept bending forward to break off huge clumps of vegetation. After ten minutes the Thai jumped back on and we did a few tricks with the eltie and I was relieved to survive without falling off

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The elephant ride is a must but make sure you do the bathing too because that's the best part! The whole ride is an hour long but feels a lot later and I felt like I got my money's worth.

3  Thank Brittney P
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We had our reservations about visiting the Elephant Camp since it looked like a lot of money BHT950 pp for a "touristy event" and possibly mistreated elephant.

BIG MISTAKE!

From the first moment we were impressed by the professionalism of the establishment and at the spur of the moment not only booked for an elephant ride but also bathing the elephant.

The elephant ride was a first time for us but nothing REALLY special. It is however amazing how fast the elephant walks with that slow gait. After a bush ride and a ride through the river our malmout "gave me the reins" while he hopped off taking pictures of us. That was a nice touch.

Then came the bath. We were each issued with a life jacket, soap bottle and brush and given a chance to, with the malmout, "drive" the elephant in the river giving it a good head scrub while sitting on its neck. It ended up with the elephant giving us the bath by squirting us several times. I wonder who had more fun, us or the elephant. The malmout had to work hard getting the elephant out of the river !

I was impressed by the gentle way the malmout handled the elephant. Commands were mainly verbal with a occasional gentle prod with his foot against the ear.

It was the highlight of our trip and we highly recommend it.

Tip: go with a costume and towel. They have changing and shower facilities.

2  Thank Theo P
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This experience was the highlight of our trip, if not all of our trips combined. First we did an elephant ride through the bush before heading down to the river where the elephants took a stroll through the water. That would have been thrill enough, but then we were directed to our bathing suits. Sitting astride an elephant's neck while he submerges and then playfully comes up spraying water from his trunk was like being in a dream. The children from the camp came down to the banks and added to the festive mood. The mahouts were chattering and singing and the elephants willingly responded to their commands. At some point they just hopped off and led the elephants by voice command, and they were taking tons of pictures. The dinner riverside that followed was ample and delicious. We were treated like royalty throughout our visit. I cannot imagine a more wonderful time. Thank you Taweechai Elephant Camp!

1  Thank TravelingFamily04_10
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I've been in two others elephant camp in Kanchanaburi and I can say that this one is the most beautiful and friendly. There riding for about half an hour around the small village and garden. The mahouts are funny guys, during the riding they try to entertain you, sing a song or whatever. And also little show with baby elephants for free. And you can "take a shower" with elephant in the river (this is an extra money). They have also a small goats to feed as entertaiment (during you're waiting your elephant come). And one more advantage - it's near to Erawan waterfall;-)

1  Thank Perwana