“Lovely little place”

My Home Guest House
Mansfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Stayed here for 7 nights, the staff are very friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and big, although the shower and toilet are small, for 6 nights it was very quiet on our last night though some other guests decided they were going to sit up drinking all night, which created a lot of noise,
All in all would I stay there again? Yes I think I would do.

Room Tip: Try to get room with high number away from reception area
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

This is great value. At first, we had booked a room through agoda.. One of the huts with fan for just £5! If we hadn't come at the hottest month of the year, this would be fine for a budget traveller. The guy came straight away, explained to us that the rooms are not advertised on agoda and invited us to upgrade to a fan room with a private bathroom, big bed and tv for £8. We even ended up treating ourselves and putting the aircon on for £10 a night.. £5 each.. A great deal. I think this is the discounted price for staying 3 nights.. But I think if you have the time there is definitely reason to stay 3 nights in kanchanaburi! The rooms lovely, mattress is not the softest but still got a great nights sleep. Free tea or coffee is a lovely gesture and the best thing is the guy here who speaks fluent English, French, probably more, and genuinely wants to help you. He's great to get honest information off, and to sort out any problems. We organised a motorbike for the day, and as we broke down due to a gas leakage, he was immediately on our side, getting some money back and even telling us he'd inform the tourist police if necessary. He's a genuinely nice guy and wants the best for you. The rest of staff are friendly. They have seating area in the garden which is a nice setting for a quiet drink. Location wise.. You're on the Main Street, and there's no noise at all, we didn't hear any anyway. I would reccomend.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Baj1491
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

Came to see the museums and the death railway and all the related sites. Found so much more. My Home has a cool pleasant feeling clean rooms and very nice people working here. Get one with ac as it can be to warm to sleep. Nice garden but no river front due to the water works,but that is because very unobtrusive. Nice teak tables and chairs to enjoy a sit under the fans and read and dri.k the free coffee. Drinks are for sale at very reasonable costs so a beer or two before dinner is a real pleasure. I would have given the top marks,but as there is not refrigerator or English-language t v in the room it would be misleading. All in all a very nice place that is good value. PS the free WiFi is good and reliable.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Well, on first look, the cheapest single rooms (250baht) which are housed in colorful pastel shed sized structures, are really cute and it invites you to stay. Which I did after moving from another place down the road. Unfortunately, the sheds do have a window, but it's not one you can close, so this being cold season, you'll have to ask for another blanket! (Yes, true!) There is a fan in the room along with 2 sockets, a nice clothes hook rack and a large side table. Mattress is firm and pillows are perfect!

I knew I was in the noisy neighborhood (when I asked at another gh how late the music goes, she'd told me until 2am), but I didn't realize how close. But no big deal - I knew it from the onset. The sheds have good wi-fi (at least mine does) and are peaceful for the most part outside of the evening/night. Music begins around 7:25pm from the ugly bars on the main road. The noise isn't too bad until later when they crank up the volume and it goes until 2am-ish on weekends and maybe 12:30am weekdays. That's what I found. Unfortunately, the sheds do have a window, but it's not one you can close, so this being cold season, you'll have to ask for another blanket! (Yes, true!) There is a fan in the room along with 2 sockets, a nice clothes hook rack and a large side table. Mattress is firm.

But the real problems are 2 others: the lack of cleaning in the bathrooms and the lack of toilet paper. Apparently, you're supposed to supply your own. Which I refuse to do at this price, so I just bugged them every night. The first night I woke the woman up at 11pm to ask for it and boy did she not like that. But this is a woman who never smiles about anything anyway. As for the lack of cleaning, I was here 3 full days and for 3 full days, the bathrooms weren't touched. Same empty containers of shampoo and such lay untouched, dirty sinks, etc. For the most part they "look" clean, but what you've got here is the Cambodian/Myanmar syndrome. You guys know what I mean. The housekeeper (she does know how to sweep, mop and empty trash tho) is friendly as is one of the women who works the reception area. But the other 2... forget it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelinhobo_10
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I agree that 600 Bath for a double bedroom with AC and private bathroom is quite cheap, but if we only knew what was coming... Room is basic, very basic and not really clean (old blood stains next to the toilet bowl). Bed is a stone hard, plastic covered matras. I have no idea how friendly the staff was as the place seems to be managed by a local family (that actually lives in the guesthouse) who hardly speak a few words of English. But the worst part is the noise. At night the sound of the airco units outside make you feel you are sleeping in the middle of a machine hall and, as we were so 'lucky' to stay there on a Friday evening, the (live) music from the clubs and bars surrounding us made our ear plugs useless. What a night. Well, Kanchanaburi is a terrible place anyway....

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We opted for the fan room with attached bath for 350 baht. We originally booked for two nights but upon staying and extra night we were given a discount for a three nights stay. The room was really nice; spacious, clean and comfortable. Would recommend...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joadify
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights in July 2013 - Overall an excellent guest house, and very well priced. Free Wifi!
There are options of very basic, small colourful cabins set just to one side of reception, or larger rooms with TV, and air con if you wanted - these were centred around reception and a pagoda.
We went for one of the rooms around the courtyard area, decided to skip on air con but they brought us in a fan which was fine. The room was more than big enough, very clean, had a warm shower and small table and chairs.
There is free tea and coffee in the reception area available 24hours, and they sell all sorts of things from shampoo to noodles out of reception!
It's located just off the main road so perfect for backpackers. Loads of places to eat and drink nearby... some to avoid but I shall review these when I can!
Only slight moan is that the beds are a bit hard, they look nice and plump but don't do a run and jump.... saying that, we both slept like logs.
I would recommend to anyone looking for budget accommodation in the area. We both agreed that if we ever return to Kanchanaburi we will 100% make a beeline for My Home.

Room Tip: We opted for no air con, it was very warm when we were staying but if you angle the fan at the beds...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends