“Mouse and pest problems”

Felix River Kwai Resort - Kanchanaburi
Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Kanchanaburi
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The hotel Felix Kwai River Resort was awful. I found a mouse as well as mouse feces throughout different parts of the room. The hotel sent a maid to get rid of the mouse quickly after I complained but never found it. They didn't offer me a new room or help me escape from the mouse. I talked to Rabbit and she went and asked the front desk to change my room. I found the mouse in my luggage and let it outside. I still moved to the new room and felt relieved to be in a cleaner space. However, the new room had so many mosquitoes and I was bit in the eye and woke up the next morning with a swollen eye and a few dead mosquitoes in my bed. I also had to kill a cockroach in the bathroom. I understand that pests are normal to have while travelling, but I have stayed at hostels that had cleaner and better conditions than this. The pests were awful but the customer service was worse. The hotel staff laughed at me for having a swollen eye and didn't offer much help. No offer was made to clean my clothes after the mouse lived in my luggage and pooped in it. This was the worst hotel experience I've ever had and it is depressing to think I spent this much money to live like this. I usually live in hostels and travel cheaply as a student so my expectations for a hotel are not super high. I was very disappointed with the level of service and accommodations this hotel had to offer. Besides my personal experience the food at Felix was not good either.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anne M

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This hotel needs a facelift. The grounds are very nice but the rooms need painting and/or cleaning. Rooms are large, however, our walls had all kinds of stains on them. Some touch up paint or a good scrub down would have removed the layer of dirt evident on all of the walls. The minibar door swung on its hinges when opened and should be fixed. The bathroom was old and the ceiling was peeling. Hot water was sporadic. Wifi was poor in the rooms, and when contacted, the hotel staff would tell me to go to the lobby to get a working connection. Most of the staff did try to be helpful.

All in all, I would not recommend this hotel to friends and I would not stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Had amazing time with my daughter, meeting her in Thailand for her birthday, during her backpacker youth-trip. We walked along the Kwai river to Kanchanaburi and back.
The room had balcony facing the river and fountain. The service were kind.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Nice property with a very rural Thai feeling around the corner from the Bridge over the River Kwai. Large rooms but sparsely furnished. Not enough charging receptacles so had to unplug some lights and the TV to get more capacity. Always remember that the bathrooms in Thailand are all one step down (supposedly so that the toilet is below the level of the bed) so be very careful at night. We left the light on in the bathroom to avoid breaking an ankle. Breakfast was decent and the grounds are very well maintained. There is a swimming pool but we checked in late at night and out early so that we did not have a chance to use it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2014

A huge resort but very quiet late January whether due to Bangkok demonstrations or Chinese New Year I don't know. Others have noted that it's time for some freshening of the decor but our room was very comfortable and spacious with large balcony facing the river. Maybe bathroom tiles could be changed for more modern but the rest is very OK. Hot water pressure and temperature could be better. We only stayed one night, ate in the Good Earth (Chinese) restaurant. Seating for 46 but we are the only 2 so felt a bit conspicuous but service was friendly, food was good so no real complaints. More guests chose the bistro but no big numbers at hotel. Big choice of cooked European/American or buffet Asian for breakfast. Very good friendly service at all times. You can walk from the hotel to the famous bridge so the hotel is well situated for that attraction. Lovely gardens, water featuring prominently. Huge swimming pool complex so space for all even when busy. Did not use any of the other hotel's sports facilities. Would recommend for good value, activities and closeness to River Kwai Bridge.

Room Tip: We had room H231. It's away from the core of the hotel including the karaoke bar. Good sized bal...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2014

The grounds at this resort are very lovely and spacious. Clean.
The room; beds hard, nice patio area and space in the room
The food; good
No elevators, so I requested a room on the main floor and liked it's location.
Pool; solar heated, so cold at this time of year and was not able to use it

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank lindazoo
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel is a good choice for K'buri and proudly displays its TA award at reception. It is a bit older, you would probably chose a different layout and design of the property if building it today, but very nice overall. Very nice reception area, plentiful breakfast choices. Great park/garden. Nice rooms. Nice pool. Mixture of Thai and foreign visitors. It was only moderately busy when we visited on a weekend in main season, not sure why this is... The only annoyance was that our toilet did not work (kept on flushing continously throughout the whole time, which cost me much of my sleep... we had a service man coming in, who did some work and said the problem was resolved, but it was not... that it, it was repaired in the typical Thai way, just doing enough to make it work once, but the problem return after the first time using it; we did not bother changing rooms or complaining a second tine as we stayed only one night; probably just bad luck with the room; maybe because we booked with Agoda, many hotel tend to give you bad (ground floor in this case) rooms if you use Agoda). I would probably go again if I would get the same (reduced) rate, good value for money.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family