“Homecook Thai Food”

Ranked #12 of 177 Restaurants in Kanchanaburi
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hot to find my restaurant:The restaurant is located on the main tourist road, also known as "River Kwai Road" or, in Thai language, "Thanon Maenam Kwae". Starting from the center of the main road (near the "7 Eleven"), follow the road to the south, towards the "Allied cemetary". Turn the around the corner with all the bars and the "CJ" convenience store and you are already there!Hello and welcome to my restaurant!All food is homemade using fresh, natural ingredients and I try to cook as healthy as possible.Meat, seafood, fruit and vegetables are bought from village farms or our local market which I visit every day.I also use high quality oil. My fruit shakes, juices and lassies are without added sugar.Please note that I prepare everything myself and food may take a while if the place is busy. I ask for your patience, I think it is worth it :)Note that fish and crab are not in the menu anymore as they do not stay fresh for long and the demand is very low. Please let me know 1 day in advance if you want to have a fish or crab dish.Feel free to ask for the newspaper or WiFi password or charge your phone / laptop.You may also use my personal computer (if possible).Enjoy your stay!
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Homecook Thai Food”
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I was reading the reviews of this restaurant and was really impressed! After a much endured traffic jam from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi, we made a beeline to this restaurant ... unfortunately, we couldn't find the place though we had the Garmin with us. Up and down Mae Nam Kwai Road we went and even asked shops around, no one seemed to know :( My husband actually asked me if they had closed shop and I said no, since the last review was in June 2014!! We were going to give up and was turning to get out using the way in, and there it was, a little restaurant/home snugged between some shops .. (A hint: Once you get into Donruk Road, cross onto Mae Nam Kwai Road, the restaurant is on the left, very near to a 'supermarket' ... before the bend that continues Mae Nam Kwai Road).
A lady came and showed us to our seats. This restaurant is really not exactly a restaurant but a home converted to a restaurant. The kitchen is right in front with some seats next to it and half the front of the house (living room??) placed with dining tables and chairs.
After taking the orders, she made her way towards the kitchen and started preparing our food, one by one and another helper was helping her cut up the meat, vegetables, etc and her child (we guess) was helping out in there too. It was a very small kitchen but functionable.
20mins later, out came the 'Tom Yum Prawn with noodles', a dish she specially made upon my daugther's request. Taste was good and well flavoured. The noodles (thai noodles) were 'al dente' .. not soggy at all. Next came the 'Pineapple Fried Rice' ... this was a surprise to us. We all tried it and taste was good. It was served with generous amount of pineapple and chicken breast meat. I found that it was just overloaded with pineapple and chicken - would have been better if they had a bit more rice. It was cooked with multigrain rice. Next came the 'Morning Glory with fried anchovies, birds' eyes chillies, and fermented soya beans', 'Green Curry Chicken' and 'Sweet and Sour Fish' ... all were tastefully prepared. However, I found the Green Curry was not as good as the rest. Taste was a bit flat, too much coconut .. couldn't taste the curry much though. Maybe the flavour hasn't set it given that curry taste better the longer it is left.
Overall, the food is good, fresh and very tasty! For all the abovementioned food plus 1 fresh coconut and bottled mineral water, we paid approximately Bht7500 which i find it really a steal!! Didn't expect that good food can come that cheap!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank HappyTraveller882

• Thai first
Seoul, South Korea
“Great curry”
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

I love that this place opens for breakfast (around 8~8:30). I woke up hungry craving rice, and seeing that Nut's was open, I had delicious Massaman curry. Plenty of meat and potatoes, flavor, and just the right amount of spiciness, though perhaps slightly too spicy for people who prefer their food milder. It was so goos that I came back for lunch the very same day. The panang curry was also pretty good, but the Massaman curry was divine. Next time I visit Kanchanaburi, I look forward to trying other curries and more!

• Visited July 2014
Siem Reap, Cambodia
“Best Thai food EVER!”
Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

Don't waste you time going to any other restaurant in Kanchanaburi ! The food was amazing beyond words! Will visit this town again just to go here and eat. Generous portions , fresh and healthy cooked right in front of you. Nut is a great chef and is lovely and no request is too much!! DELICIOUS

1 Thank KellyBroddz
Ireland
“Best food in Kanchanaburi”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Kanchanabui for five nights in April 2014 and we ate at Nut's restaurant for three. Really tasty, well presented and freshly prepared food for a bargain price.

• Visited April 2014
Udon Thani
“Amazing Food That Was Worth the Wait”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Last week I visited the road Nut’s is on for the purpose of eating vegan food at another shop, but turns out it was closed. I used the TripAdvisor mobile app to search for another highly rated restaurant. This showed as being very close but at the time did was not show vegetarian in the TripAdvisor category listings. With it being so close I decided to go look at the menu and it was very easy to find using the provided GPS coordinates.

It turns out the menu had plenty of vegetarian food. This included a section where all their curry dishes could be ordered as a vegetarian friendly option. I decided to eat here based on that, but my first impressions had me a little skeptical. First at the time there was no one else already there. Also, the place is a very small building with an open garage style door. While there are some tables inside it is very crammed due to the size, and no air conditioning due to being an open wall store-front setting. However outside of it, to just inside, is a large bar stool seating and we sat there.

My wife who ordered for her and our 3-year old son are not vegetarians. The skepticism continued some when she attempt to order two different dishes and was told: mai mi (don’t have) for both. They did however decide on orders. Myself I ordered French fries, onion rings and a vegetarian version of green curry.

Right from the time our order was placed until we go our food, other visitors began trickling in. This was mostly foreigners both male and female that lived in Thailand and were school teachers, but there was a Thai guest too. By the time our food came the place was quite busy and I was able to notice how popular this place was with locals. Not only were many people now seated, but they were saying hello to and chatting with friends both Thai and foreigners that passed by on motorbikes or walking. While we were outsiders to this, for everyone else it had the Cheers (where everyone knows your name) type feeling and it was clear this is a place many locals visited very often and know each other.

Back to our order: the food took a long time to come. It trickled out slowly one dish at a time. But, we could see them cooking it all fresh right at the outdoor kitchen that was parallel to the bar stool we were seated. Simple foods like French Fries, Onion Rings came first, followed by spaghetti, seafood salads, etc. The last to come out was my green curry. This was in a heart shaped bowl, and large chunks of mock meat style tofu and was just delicious. Everyone else loved their food too.

Due to how amazing all the food tasted, and the friendly environment, I easily forgave the prep time, and was very glad that I ate here. My wife who was started out far more annoyed than me at the timing and setting, loved her food too and asked me in the car once we left how I’d rate it. We both agreed 4 of 5 stars based on how great the food is and the fact you get the sense this is a popular locals shop.

• Visited June 2014