“Nowhere else in the world could you have this experience”

Safari Park Open Zoo
Ranked #11 of 62 things to do in Kanchanaburi
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We were traveling in a group of 7, 3 of whom were teenagers. We tried to find exciting things to do that they would always remember. This was definatly a highlight! After researching the "Tiger Temple" we decided not to do that,yet the kids really wanted some animal adventures. After reading about the park, we decided on this instead. Great choice!!! First of all we practically had the place to ourselves. We only saw 1 other family the whole time. No crowds here. When we arrived, the first thing we saw were the tigers and baby leopard. The staff let us take our time petting the tigers and feeding the leopard.The baby leopard was so cute all curled in the arms of my kids. The big tiger was very calm, but not at all drugged. They were feeding him raw meat when we arrived. The caretaker gave my daughter a piece of meat to feed the tiger. That was a little to close for my comfort. Although it makes a cool video now, I wouldn't do it again. The baby tiger was just like a big kitten with sharp teeth. He loved to play just like a kitten would. He was a little too wild to really get too close to. They do charge for taking pictures and feeding (100 b each) This, with the entrance fee was still a LOT less than the Tiger Temple and you got more for your money. Next we rode a bus through the different animal enclosures. It was fun to see the animals right outside the window. The best part was feeding the Giraffes and zebras. They would come right up to the window to be fed.(100b for food) The giraffes stuck their heads right inside. It was constant laughing and screaming!! It was so fun to pet them and take pictures. We have great video.
Next we saw the elephant show. It was almost a private show. We got to sit on the "elephant swing" and my daughter (same one that feed the tiger) who has no fear volunteered to lie down and have the elephant's foot touch her like it was going to step on her. Because they were speaking in Thai, She didn't understand what she was volunteering for until she did it. I know they do this in every show but I was a little freaked out. But again, now that it's over it makes great video. I was impressed at how these young teenaged looking boys had trained these elephants. Unfortunatly we had to go at that point,but I would have liked to see the other shows.
Great experience for the money . I would do it again for sure!!

2  Thank carrie s
in 10 reviews
"once in a lifetime"
"an animal lover"

Reviewed August 25, 2011

We didnt proactively choose to come here - it was tagged on the end of a three day trip (which up until this point had been fantastic). On arrival, we were sent straight to a 'crocodile show' which consisted of large crocs being pulled around by their tails and hit with small sticks, as people were encouraged to 'surf' on ther backs or place money in ther mouth. Dificult to watch and certainly left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I was only able to stomach a few moments of elephant show. These majestic creatures were stripped of their dignity as they performed tricks for the audience and posed for the camera as tourists hung fom their trunks. Personally, I'd have preferred to watch them roam free within the safari areas....

The most distressing of all was seeing a huge tiger tethered to a table, unable even to stand or raise its head as the chain was so short. Tourists flocked to get pictures as the poor creatured looked dispondent, weary and sad.

On the next table were two young leopards, tethered again on very short chains, being goaded to lash out with their paws for 'action shots' with tourists. The third cub was held in a cage bearly large enough for it to fit into.

I found this very distressing to witness especially to consider that by being there, we were morally and financially supporting this type of (in my opinion) animal cruelty. It's unneccessary too, as they have some beautiful open spaces where these creatures could roam free and you can view them from a bus - allowing the visitors the opportunity to see these magnificent creatures while alllowing the animal to retain some dignity and freedom.

All in all, I would suggest that this isn't a safari - it's more of a circus - a place where animals are trained to perform for the public, where some animals are stripped of their dignity and unable to move freely. The actual ' safari' element is quite good fun - it's just ruined by the circus mentality surrounding it.

8  Thank KarenG2210
Reviewed March 23, 2011

My family and I went to the Safari Park in the middle of the dry season, so everything was dusty. The animal enclosres were all pretty big though, and it wasn't difficult to imagine the place would look good in the wet.
You get 100 baht photo opportunities with all sorts of animals and the staff were happy to let us have our pictures taken as long as we paid once. The big tiger was a bit scary. The baby leopards were great - though one of them put a tooth through my shorts, and almost through my hand! They're just kittens and they tend to grab you and gnaw, but they're already pretty big; I didn't do too much petting.
The bus trip round the open enclosures was good. You buy bowls of carrot strips to feed animals out of the window (not the lions, tigers and leopards). You start off with various kinds of deer, which are all nice, building up to the grand finale (drum roll) the giraffes.
Who would have thought giraffes could be so much fun? As soon as the bus stops they rush up and stick their necks through the window in a desperate carrot grab. My wife was holding a carrot out of her window for a giraffe when she was almost knocked from her seat by another one who came up on the blind side from the other side of the bus. It was hilarious, and it was mayhem.
Our daughter was harrassed by a rogue ostrich in the same enclosure who was peeved that we didn't have any carrots left. It was like being mugged. Great fun!
There was an elephant show and a dog show (which we didn't see). We had more photos with the elephants and with a pack of macaws.
There's not much to the rest of the park, but we absolutely loved the total experience and would highly recommend it to anyone without a giraffe phobia

1  Thank NameIWantedWasTaken7
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I love big cats the bigger the better!!! I really wanted to see the big cats while visiting Thailand, but was battling with my morals and did not want to visit the tigers at the tiger temple. i was informed of this park while in Bangkok and changed my plans. This park is more a local Thai hang out for what appeared to be local club scouts, we were the only ones there at around lunch time and were able to spend as much time as we liked with the tigers. There was the big beautiful 2 1/2yr old that you see when you first arrive, sitting there waiting to welcome us, with the little (?) baby 8month old close by. The highlight was getting to feel the greedy little 2month old leopard, he sucked down about 3 bottles of milk (they only put small amounts in each so he doesn't get to much) while he was curled up in my arms. He was so content, and happy you could hear him making all sorts of noises, acting just like his domestic cat brothers. we i thought that was the end i did not realise there was more until they ushered me into a bus while an armful of baskets of sliced up carrots. Off we drove into what seamed a very Jarassic park looking set of double gates, and there is the rest of the animals, deer and birds, lions and another very big and well hidden tiger, bears and zebras. Watch out for the leopards there are four but they are sneaky and they hide to pay tricks on each other they so funny to watch play fighting and jumping around. The most laughs came as you enter the last area where the giraffes are. They know you have food and come into the bus trying to find it. My video is just me screaming with laughter and shots of the vans roof cuz every time i went to film or take a photo i was poked or knocked out of the way by yet another long neck. Seriously thought they are big beautiful creatures that are gentle and graceful.
After all the excitement, you are taken to what you asume is the exit, it's not you can spend the rest of the afternoon, hanging out and watching different animal themed shows, are hang out at the cafe/restaurant.. I'm sad i couldn't have stayed i didn't realise this park had so much available. SERIOUSLY spend a whole day just here!!! Don't go to the tiger temple with the crowds, the rip off guys and stress your conscious, come to the safari park it's closer to town and cheaper but if for nothing else these people love the animals and you know the animals are cared for. You'll get more time here with the big cats and no crowds with so many more bonuses.

2  Thank seraquin