“A fascinating ride through time on one of the least known parts of WWII”

Thai-Burma Railway (Death Railway)
Book In Advance
$94.10*
and up
Private Tour: Thai Burma Death Railway Bridge on the River Kwai Tour from...
$96.19*
Private Tour: Floating Markets and Bridge on River Kwai Day Trip from Bangkok
$70.58*
Bridge on the River Kwai and Thailand-Burma Railway Tour
Reviewed November 19, 2013

If you have a chance, do it, the first time we went to Thailand I didn’t even know where the Bridge over the River Kwai and the train were, I had never thought to go there and even how relatively close to Bangkok it is. But over the years I have learned so much more about this, and realized that actually it is close, but not that close to Bangkok, and decided that if we go to Thailand again this is going to be one place on our list. A remarkable journey and a great train ride to see Thailand’s countryside. A missed attraction among many. You will need a full day to do this as it includes museums, and what not along the way. It’s quite a distance from Bangkok though, I think it took anywhere from 2-3 hours to get there and back, a long day, but well worth it and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to understand more about this mostly forgotten part of WWII.

1  Thank CrunchyMonkey

Reviewed November 15, 2013

It started by crossing over the Bridge on the River Kwai (in the 1st minute) then we chugged along for 90min enjoying the scenery, rice paddys, sago plantations and sugar cane. We stopped at a lovely restaurant for lunch just past the wooden viaduct built by the POW's. It was a nice way to spend the afternoon, worth a visit.

1  Thank Smowki
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Right now we are almost half way through a two week trip to Thailand. I painstakingly researched every minute detail before coming and decided that taking the local train to Nam Tok could be fun. We stayed in Bangkok for 2 nights then 1 in Nam Tok and one in Kanchanaburi. Our intension was to relax at our hotel and maybe take a long boat but plans quickly went awry. We didn't take the excursion train, just the regular everyday one that's 3rd class with no air con but with lots of Windows to open. Mind you as the sun gets hotter through the day you do bake somewhat and I was black from the dirt flying in the Windows. Not to mention the odd branch and cricket landing on me. Nor did the hard wooden seats though my bum would disagree. Hey it's all part of the experience, which is the only reason to get this train. That and it's only 100THB. I can't complain about the cost, and food and drinks sellers were through the train regularly which was also very cheap. HOWEVER. .... we got up at 5 am to get the first train with the aim of making the most of our day at the other end. According to research it should have taken us approx 4.5 hours. Now the train left fifteen mins late and has a lot of stops but for the life of me I can't fathom how it came in TWO hours late. Our day was wasted. And by hour 4 we were melting. I was fit to be tied. So given that we were meant to stay a night in Nam tok then do a tour the next day that required us being on the train again, we changed our whole plan. The bus back to Bangkok was not much better. If it says two hours assume almost double that time for trains and buses.

1  Thank JayBeck
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Really well worthwhile. Buffet lunch at the start, then nearly 2 hours in a 'cattle truck' with bench seats just under the window. Pass by crops of tapioca and rice on your way to the 'bridge over the river kwai.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The train ride was about 2 hours and part of an all day tour. It was interesting to sit and take in the country side as the train whisked along the tracks in the jungle of Thailand. The historical aspects of the railway are amazing and made the trip even more meaningful.
The cost was included as part of the day trip and the whole tour was worth it.

Three Good Tips.
1. Sit on the right side of the train and ideally facing forward for the best views.
2. Be careful if you put your head out the window. The tree branches will brush the train, and you, if your ride in the wet season.
3. The “merchandisers” on the train will take your picture to sell you a souvenir Train Ticket at the end. Smile for the picture. The souvenir was low cost (I think $100 BT) and provides a great memory.

2  Thank Mervyn H