“If u want the HILTON go to it, if u want a raft house this is the place”
Review of Bamboo House

Bamboo House
Ranked #10 of 81 Hotels in Kanchanaburi
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We all loved it (my girlfriend, best friend and I). Definitely not for those like Maggie who want the high life. Large comfortable rooms with matresses but what do u expect for 200 Baht a room! Within walking distance to the bars. Actually on the river Kwai. Free WIFI. We are definitely staying for another few nights

Room Tip: Call in advance. A bit far from the bus station.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank madeinguiri

Reviewed November 19, 2011

I went to the bamboo house with my boyfriend wanting some peace and quiet after staying in Bangkok. And believe me I got it! Beware only stay at this place if you are a true nature lover and can handle sharing a bed with many creepy crawlies. I travelled Asia for 3 months and never got as many bites the whole time as I did the one night I spent at the bamboo house. The small huts looks quaint from the outside, but inside is very basic. Hard bed, one fan, very primitive toilet and shower covered in bugs, obviously no tv. The gardens are beautiful and it is right on the river which is also breath-taking. I don't want to say this place is the worst I just think people should consider carefully whether they will enjoy it. You would probably get less bites in a tent! Staff weren't too friendly and spoke basic english. It was very cheap to stay here so obviously price reflects accommodation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Pugsandchimps
Reviewed May 28, 2011

This hotel is in a very good location on the river, but the rooms have been neglected and allowed to become quite dilapidated. I disagree with the reviewer who described this hotel as "modern" - I would call it "rustic". The mattress and pillows were hard and lumpy, and the sheets had seen better days. The bathroom was primitive (not a problem), but not particularly clean. The bathroom door had to be kept closed to keep the mosquitoes out of the bedroom, so it was hot and poorly ventilated. One wall-mounted fan provided breeze in the bedroom. Evening meals were not available, so we walked up to the main road. Internet was 40B/hour. The adjoining walls to other half of cabin were so thin you could hear their fan running! (and of course conversation)

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MaggieKuching
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This place is discusting. The only thing going for it is the view of the river from the manicured gardens. The walls had so much grime and mould I was scared to breath in fear of contracting something. All this for an over priced 500 Baht. If I wasn't so dog tired after traveling to kanchanaburi I would have checked out straight away.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Discodi68
Reviewed May 30, 2010

I'm a bit confused reading the other reviews as I found Bamboo House to be the dirtiest and most uncomfortable place I stayed during my 11 month backpacking trip. They have beautiful gardens and grounds and a lovely setting on the river and I think the floating rooms are probably good for a basic option. I stayed in a bungalow set within the gardens. The room and bathroom were filthy. Mouse poo all over the bathroom, walls covered in grime, years of dirt on light switches and handles, stains on the bedsheets and pillowcases ... I won't list more but I didn't want to touch anything and couldn't wait to leave the next morning. Plus I was kept awake by the karaoke boat blaring out terrible Thai singing late into the night and ealry the next morning. Luckily I moved to the wonderful, clean, friendly Pong Phen.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 13, 2010

We came her on our world trip by car. There was plenty of parking space for it. We stayed 2 nights at this beautiful location. First we wanted to stay only one night. But the massage we got there was so extremely good, that we stayed one more day to enjoy it another time. :-D
We liked the nice view and that it's a bit far from the noisy rest of Kanchanaburi. Only in the morning around 10 'o clock many speed boats drive by to bring tourists to 'the' bridge.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank asfintesco
Reviewed January 9, 2010

What a find. After looking at loads of your run-of-the mill places, we stumbled on this. Very modern and beautiful decor (higher end finishes and linens than the usual mid-range places) in a peaceful setting. Absolutely wished we had a few more days to spend here. Every room looks out onto a private garden (for looking, not walking) and it's cool and serene.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple