“Great Hotel, Shame about Hua Hin”

Rest Detail Hotel Hua Hin
Ranked #13 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel, Shame about Hua Hin”
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed at the Rest Detail Resort for two weeks at the end of August. We booked an Horizon Room which met our expectations. Spacious, modern decor, wonderful balcony with private jacuzzi, great views. The rooms along with the rest of the hotel was spotlessly clean and well maintained.
The breakfast was slightly disappointing, although the quality was very good, we felt that the choice was somewhat limited.
We decided to upgrade for our last 4 remaining nights to a Pool Village room, WOW !
Once we were in we didnt want to go anywhere, having direct access to the pool was a pure luxury. However, the only downside was that you are relatively close to your neighbours, and if privacy is an issue for you, which it is for us, there was not enough foliage cover between villas.
The staff were very friendly and attentive, however, the language barrier did sometimes prove very difficult and frustrating. We appreciate that we are in a foreign country and dont expect the staff to speak fluent english but at times it was hard work just to order a sprite. But this did not affect our stay in any way.
Hua Hin as a destination was disappointing, although relatively small compared to Pattaya, the choice of restaurants and bars was spread out around the town and their didnt appear to be much variety.
We would definately go back to Rest Detail if it could be moved to Pattaya.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
England
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We stayed at the Rest Detail Hotel for our honeymoon at Easter 2010. We had wanted somewhere we could totally relax but still experience Thailand, and Rest Detail turned out to be the perfect place for us.

We were well looked after from start to end of the trip (I would recommend Kuoni), and the hotel staff were fantastic. We arrived late at night after a long journey but received a great welcome. We were amazed that our Rest Horizon room looked exactly the same as it did on the hotel's website - it was big, light, airy and spotlessly clean. There were lots of nice touches, like the used of an iPod for the duration of our stay and the homemade sweets that appeared in our room each day. The bed was huge and really comfortable, and there was also a daybed on the balcony for lounging outside. We had a great view of the beach from our room - whilst not spectacular, it was clean and quiet and we preferred it to the busier beach downtown. The hotel itself was quiet and well looked after with beautiful grounds.

As it was 40 degrees most days while we were there, we made good use of the pool and of our own jacuzzi. The pool area was nearly always quiet and perfect for relaxing. We ate at the hotel a lot of the time and didn't have any disappointing meals. One night my husband arranged for us to have a meal under a canopy on the private beach area, which was amazing; the staff came and barbecued fresh food for us and we had the place to ourselves. I also tried out the spa which was great but quite pricey.

We took a couple of day trips, one to the floating markets and the other to San Roi Yot national park. Both were great days out and we enjoyed seeing more of the area. There are some great restaurants in Hua Hin. We found a good Japanese downtown, but our favourite was a local place on the main road near the hotel - we particularly liked the "cowboy" singing Thai songs with the odd bit of Boyzone!

We'd definitely like to return to the Rest Detail Hotel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RuthieRed
london
Reviewed May 4, 2010

Have just returned from a marvelous three week stay at this hotel. We were scheduled to only stay for 12 nights but that nasty volcano meant we had to stay an extra week !!
There is reall y nothing that can be added about the hotel and staff that has not already been written, but i will say that the hotel could not do enough for us after our flight was cancelled. they kept us informed about our room availability and genuinely seemed happy that we could not leave.

There are 90 staff employed in the hotel and the place is spotless and service fantastic, nothing too much touble and if you tried to take a glass back to the bar when you finished they would run over and insist on taking it off you stating that this was their job and that they were there for your relaxation.

Other reviews have said that there is nothing near the hotel, i beg to differ.
we like to explore and if you turn left along the beach after 20 mins you can get an hours massage on the beach for 300 baht including a bottle of water and fresh fruit. There is also a small hotel that serves cheaper food and drink than the Anantara which is just further along the beach, looks like a nice hotel.
If you turn left at the front of the hotel on the first corner is a house whose front garden doubles up as a cafe, although i never tried it the food on the barby looked good and she sold drinks,one of my regrets that i did not try it..
Turn right at that corner and two hundred yards you will find a small shop selling beer water snacks etc, we stocked up here and filled the mini bar which the hotel did not discourage. Keep going past the shop to the main road and opposite is a 7-11 which offers more choice, DO TAKE CARE when crossing the road it can be hectic and look both ways as the motorbikes go the wrong way along the road.

Back to the hotel and as you leave turning left walk past the cafe in the garden and keep going and you will come to a park, about 5 mins. There is a live band every friday with all the locals turning out to enjoy.
There is an abbundance of street vendors selling drinks and food all very cheap and all very tasty , it was a nice change to just walk out the hotel and experience a different scene to Hua Hin, thats not to say we did not enjoy it in town. We had a great time in the bars and restaurants and the girly bar scene was not pushy or ott. Me and my wife had no probs just sitting haveing a beer, there were lots of couples doing just like us.
A special mention to Angel Eyes Bar in Poolsuk Road by the temple.
Live music tuesday and friday and a very relaxed place.Tony and Tic were great hosts.They even arranged a driver to take us to the floating market and the bridge over rthe river kwai, he picked us up at the hotel and it was good to be able to do things at our own pace.
A long day on the hottest day of the year but well worth it.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask only to willing to help if i can, we had some greast advice from nikki before we left which was a great help.

Forgot to say stayed in the pool village which was well worth the upgrade, basically it was like our own private pool as the Thais did not use it during the day.

Will definately return to the Rest soon.

Big thank you to Apple, Koy, Nathas, and all the staff.

Dave

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dtgwhu
Farnham Common, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 4, 2010

My husband and I have just returned from a wonderful stay at this hotel. I cannot hesitate to recommend it as we were very happy here. The room is spacious with a very comfortable bed (bit on the hard side), wonderful shower and our own terrace with steps leading to our private deck with two sun beds by the pool. We decided to stay in the Pool Villas and were very glad we did. The pool is huge, but not very deep, and quite private as there are only 12 villas by this pool. There is another (not so large) pool by the restaurant area with a lot of sun beds but not so private.
This was my husband's second trip here as he had a conference in this hotel one year ago.

We did walk on the beach, which was lovely and quiet, but it is not in great condition.

If we could have changed one thing, it would have been to add a gym. We did have a spa treatment which was lovely.

Food and service were excellent with a mix of western and thai cuisine and not too expensive.

Hotel is situated about 5 mins by taxi from the main town (taxis and tuk-tuks are widely available with cost of about 300baht round trip).

Seafood in the main town are absolutely fantastic with Sangthai, Chow Lay and especially Youyen worth a mention.
My husband played golf at Palm Hills and Black Mounta
in with the latter being much the better course, although a little further away from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ruthiegee
yorkshire
Reviewed March 23, 2010

I have just returned from staying with a friend in Hua Hin and we had lunch at the Rest Detail. A bit out of town but worth the drive down. Excellent food, pleasant, helpful staff , spotlessly clean and beautiful surroundings. It was fairly quiet the day we had lunch and very enjoyable. If the rooms are like the rest of the hotel and its service, I am sure they will be excellent.

Stayed March 2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2010

Stayed at the Rest Detail from the 20th Feb/5th March in an Horizon room. Upon arrival was greeted with a very warm welcome, lovely refreshing drink, lovely smelling cool face cloth and was a given a bracelet as a welcome gift. Check in was smooth and at a leisurely pace. We're given the use of a pool villa to freshen up and change into our beach wear whilst our room was being prepared for us as we arrived very early in the morning.

As breakfast was still taking place when we arrived I decided that I would have some juice and a small bite to eat, I told 2 different members of staff that we were going to do this should they need to speak with us. Whilst having my juice and eating a small plate of food, the staff member that checked us in, came over and informed me that as we officially don't check in until 2pm we will be charged for the breakfast. I pointed out very firmly that I had told two members of staff that I intended to go breakfast for a coffee and maybe a pancake or something, no-one informed me that this would be chargeable as our room rate included breakfast. I pointed out that this was their mistake/error and i did not want to be bothered with their errors after travelling nearly half way round the world and being up for 24 hrs - she apologised and that was the end of the matter, no charge was placed on our room. This was the only problem that I experienced during my stay and it was dealt in an instant - great service.

The Horizon rooms are very spacious, light and airy, fantastic sea views, modern design, massive bed and very comfy, all the facilities that you need, flat screen TV, DVD player, IPod speaker, bathrobes, slippers, flip flops, beach bag, fruit plate, complimentary water, I did have to call reception and ask them to bring some additional items as there was 3 of us staying in this room, we had 3 robes, 3 slippers, 3 flip flops etc but only 2 of the various drinking glasses and enough fruit for 2, and tea/coffee for 2, loved having a caferitia for the coffee, very nice touch. One phone call and the room was completely stocked for 3 people - again, great service, with a smile. Lovely deep bath, takes awhile to fill but lovely, makes a nice change from the shower. Shower - very powerful and refreshing. Jacuzzi was lovely spent a whole evening in there one night, drinking champagne and listening to music and having fun - as you do!! Rooms were cleaned to a high standard, room service very efficient. Great selection of TV channels should you wish to just chill out in your room and what a film, didn't use the DVD library as the movie channel was great, only watched TV one night, as I recovering from a rather heavy night in town the previous night!!

The hotel has 56 rooms, very well maintained, extremely friendly and helpful staff, can't do enough for you, nothing is too much trouble. Really got to know the staff quite well in the 10 dys that I was there. The infinity pool was lovely, perfect temperature, never too busy or noisey, no issues with sunbeds, plenty of them in the sun or shade, small childs pool, only saw one child in there during my stay. Very quiet and relaxing at the pool, pool service is available. A small area at the end of the pool with sun chairs and to the left of the pool there is a small private beach area with 3 hugs sunbed canopy's, with drapes if you wish to shade yourself from the sun. The beach is huge, sea is warm but it's not the cleanist or nicest of beaches, Thailand has much better beaches than this but it's great for a nice stroll, always a strong sea breeze by around lunchtime which is very refreshing and much welcomed.

The poolside bar/restaurant has a dual menu, a day lunch time menu and then an evening menu. During the evening they bring out table/chairs etc aroun the pool area. The food here is execellent, I enjoyed everything that I ordered at this restaurant. The buffet breakfast was also enjoyable, breakfast juices were delicous, I became big fan of the dim sum had some everyday with my breakfast, you can have eggs any which way you like and this is served with bacon, sausages, fried potatoes and a slice of ham and sliced cherry tomatoes. Or you can have a more tradtional thai style breakfast, or a continental breakfast, cerals, cakes, rolls, various types of bread, freshly cooked waffles or pancakes. You can also make your juice. All in all a very satisfying breakfast which I didn't get bored of.

The poolside bar/restaurant provides a daily special everyday plus ice-cream for desert, for around 180 bahts. There is a daily happy hour for beer/spirits buy 1 get 1 free from 5pm/7pm, wine the same but from 6pm/9pm. Used to enjoy this offer on a daily basis.

Free internet access, very fast and not a problem generally to get on there if required. Book swap library, Onsite Spa which I never got round to using, to busy lazy round the pool.

Didn't use the shuttle bus service into Hua Hin 50baht per person - as there was 3 of us it would have cost the same for the shuttle bus as a taxi, so always got a taxi as we could be dropped where we wanted and when we wanted. 150 to 200 bahts to go into town and to come back, haggle and it's 150 by either taxi or tuk tuk. Two markets in downtown Hua Hin fairly small but has all the usual wears for sale. Also Tesco express, Boots, Pizza Hut, Burger King, Macdonalds. Massive shopping centre and a market outside at the Market Village plus a massive Tesco, it's a bit further out but well worth a visit. Went to some nice restaurants that I would recommend, BAM BAM Thai restaurant, is it just near the small night market on Poolsuk Road, pass the clock tower, basic surroundings but great food, very cheap, very tasty and lovely friendly staff - well worth a visit. La Grappa - 20/5 Poolsuk Road, on the same street as BAM BAM, lovely italian restaurant, went to another Italian on the same road but at the other end close to the market, can't remember the name, starter was nice but didn't enjoy the pizza and my friends pasta tasted nice but was only luke warm when served, so I'd go for La Grappa if you want an italian. Have to admit visited Burger King whilst I was there and it was great, not a great lover of this type of food, maybe have it once or twice a year, went there twice whilst there, quick, cheap, tasty, nothing to heavy, hit the spot and it's 24 hrs.

Finally I would recommend the River Kwai tour with elephant treking, very interesting and fun day. You visit the smallest war cememtry, then onto the Jeath Museum, take a James Bond down the River Kwai to the steel bridge, get off and walk around onto the bridge if you wish. The train arrived and went over the bridge whilst we were there, we then went onto to the next station and got on the train there, we upgraded to 1st class for an additional 50 baht - well worth it. We got a certificate to say we'd travelled on the train, tea or coffee plus a small cake, cooling face cloth, it was great. We travelled over the wooden bridge that was built by the prisoners of war. The train took us to the restaurant where had lunch, which was extremely tasty. Then on by road to the elephant treking which was fun, got to ride an elephant on my own, brilliant. Did a private tour with Kuoni, fautless, excellent day out. Also went to the Floating market - great fun and an interesting day out, done this trip before the last time I was in Thailand and enjoyed it then. My friend hadn't been so was very happy to do this tour again, it's a real experience, not to be missed. Also did the Kau Talo snorkelling trip, don't bother, the coral is dead there, so some sea life but poor for thai standards, much better snorkilling in Southern Thailand, long way to go for such poor snorkelling but nice to see some of the North of Thailand and it's a nice island, lunch was good but snorkilling disappointing, the water wasn't particulary clear, so hampered your view quite badly. Save you money and do a different trip instead.

I absolutely thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Rest Detail, would definitely go back should I decide to revisit Hua Hin, really couldn't fault the hotel or the staff, please do go and enjoy all it has to offer - you won't be disappointed!! Thailand is indeed "The Land of the Smiles" Been to Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Pee Pee Islands and now Hua Hin. Next Ko Chang or Koh Sumi - love Thailand and love Thai people, so friendly, meek and yet hard working people who so want you to enjoy your time in their country - enjoy!!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Fun loving Sun Seeker
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 17, 2009

I've stayed at Rest Detail three times so far -- twice with my two primary school-aged kids and one toddler, and once with my mum and sister. So I've been lucky enough to have both the kid-friendly experience there and the adult traveller experience. Basically, this hotel provides an amazing oasis, a retreat from the urban chaos of Bangkok, whether one visits with kids or only adults. I think that's why the hotel has this bizarre name -- after staying there, I now understand that the owners want their guests to "rest", and the owners take pride in tending to every "detail" of their guests' visit. We've stayed once in the Pool Village, where each bungalow (with a king-sized bed and a single-sized day bed) opens onto its own little porch and a deck from which one can step right into the Pool Village's tropical pool. My kids loved that bit. The decor is bright and cheery, sort of Laura Ashley-Goes-Tropical. I stayed there also with my mum and sis, and one of the most relaxing things ever was reclining in a lounger on that deck, sipping a tall, gorgeous iced coffee, and flipping through a gossip mag -- then of course slipping into the pool for a nice swim. The other times with my kids, we took Rest Green rooms over in the main hotel, and these were similar in style to the Village, with huge balconies with cosy whicker furniture and views of the sea even though we were not in officially sea-view rooms. Enough about the rooms -- the food here is SCRUMPTIOUS. Buffet breakfast is superb; as well as anything on the expansive buffet, one can request pancakes, eggs any style, etc. A yoghurt topping bar (anything you can imagine that would be yummy with plain yoghurt!) is an example of the hotel's unusual touches, as well as a chocolate fountain for dipping fruit and croissants. My kids hated that, LOL. Anyway the Thai and Western dishes at Rest Scene, for lunch and supper, are really good. My favourites include the teriyaki salmon with some sort of savoury rice, the caesar salad, and the pad Thai. There's a special every evening of buy one cocktail, get one free, and then later in the evening buy one glass of wine, get one free, and the wine is very nice, not the rubbish many places use for promotions. The staff hit just the right note of warmth and attentiveness without being obsequious or smarmy, as sometimes happens in high-end hotels. Facilities are gorgeous and well-maintained. I've only used the spa once, with my mum and sis; the foot massage and hand massage (kind of ridiculous-sounding, but the hand massage actually lulled me to sleep) were done well, but rather pricey compared with those available in Bangkok -- but on the other hand, spas are always more expensive in hotels than in street shops. The hotel is rather isolated, which I want as a retreat from urban life, but for people who hope to see more of Hua Hin, the hotel offers a shuttle to the town centre (I haven't taken it, so can't report on it). Somehow Rest Detail manages to sustain a serene ambience whilst accommodating families AND quiet, romantic couples. Perhaps it's the two pools, the real beach, the man-made beach next to the Pool Village, the open-air lounge area with Internet access and board games and many sofas, the guestrooms with spacious balconies -- there are so many places to relax that guests never get crowded together. The only time of day I saw throngs of people was at breakfast, but then the rest of the day we sometimes felt like we had whatever spot we were in to ourselves. During my eight-plus years living in Thailand, I've tried many hotels in Hua Hin and elsewhere; Rest Detail has become my No. 1 preferred place to stay when my family need a night or two's break from Bangkok. The drive from the city is a snap (about two hours and 20 minutes from Sukhumvit, including one loo stop), and once we get to the hotel, we really can, at last, relax.

Stayed November 2009, traveled with family