“Lovely place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 133 Hotels in Hua Hin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

This was my last stop on my month long holiday in Thailand. All the places I had stayed at had been great and this hotel did not disappoint. My room was very comfortable and clean. Very friendly staff,who go out of their way to make your stay as good as possible. The food in the restaurant is excellent. The cocktails are delicious and some of the best I had tasted in Thailand. Good choice of food at breakfast. The pool is huge so children and adults all have room to swim/play in there together without getting in each others way. Pool and pool area kept clean. Although I was a lone traveller this hotel would suit everybody.
The beach is not a beautiful one but rather interesting. Lots of seashells to collect, sea creatures to watch. The hotel does have a sign up warning people of jelly fish in the water.
I would recommend this hotel and hope that when in need of a relaxation will come back again.

Room Tip: There is a VIP bus in Hua Hin that goes direct to the international airport Bangkok. Very comfortabl...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
North America
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

My first visit to Hua Hin did not start off well. We were travelling with my elderly 85 year old mother and arrived in Bangkok airport at 5 pm. There were no representative and car from the hotel to meet us at the pick up point. We had to get assistance from the information counter at the airport to call the hotel and they will only do it from our mobile phone (this call costs me $30+).
After about an hour, we were on our way to Hua Hin and got there just after 11 pm. Hungry and tired, we found out that, everything was closed.
However, the receptionist was helpful and managed to get hold of their tuk-tuk driver who was still around to take us to a mini mart to buy some food.

Here come the good part. We got a full story in English regarding the problem about our airport meet and pick up.
The next morning, at the reception, the assistant manager, Bee, apologized about the delay at the airport. Apparently, the car broke down and they had to sent another replacement car.
The GM Bruce Kalili also came over to apologized and let us know that he will do his best to make our stay a pleasurable one. To make it up to us, a bottle of wine and a platter of deserts was sent up to our room in the afternoon.
Bee, the assistant manager is a very helpful and courteous lady. She sat down with me and arranged a car and tour for us during our stay in Hua Hin and transfer back to our Bangkok hotel.
Night before we left, there was a note from her saying goodbye as she was not available to do so in person. This was a very nice gesture.
To sum it all, we had a great stay and were really happy with the effort the GM and staff at all levels take to please their guests.
The hotel is right on the beach and being a long holiday weekend, the beach, which is also public, was crowded with tourists and locals.
There are restaurants all over the beach and vendors selling drinks and snacks.
Near the hotels is a 24 hour mini mart.
The hotel rooms & grounds are lovely and well kept, the orchids along the pathways are our favorite sights.
Our rooms are very spacious with a balcony overlooking the pool.
Breakfast was good with omelette station and enough selections to cater to different palates.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

This was my 2nd visit to Anantasila. I vacationed here about 5 years earlier and was delighted to find that it was even more charming than I remembered. The hotel grounds are enchanting with a beautiful variety of flowering vegetation and the pathways flow naturally...the personal touches and care taken here is not something the larger hotels can deliver. The staff was very welcoming and accommodating. The breakfast buffet was delicious and generous (there is a French chef who was quite friendly) and they offer both Thai & western menus. The western fare was on the mark & just what my
kids were craving. At night when we dined we had the pleasure to hear an open mike gathering of diverse musicians unite...a very special & memorable international-communal experience. Overall Antasila is a magical stay & a gem of a find for quiet relaxation and an authentic experience in Thailand.

• Stayed July 2013
Ningbo, China
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Initially thinked to spend 10 nights at this hotel, staying in a villa, arrived very late but got a very nice and warm welcome from Daniel at reception, and personally escorted me to the villa VP 4.
It was almost midnight so i go direct to bed. Very bad night indeed because the A/C has the sound is the same of a very old and tired diesel engine.
In the morning i noticed that water of swimming pool was green and also detected few other imperfections, clearly there is a huge difference from the website and the reality. After bkfst (reasonnable) just bad because the owner - a lady - show off and shouted to employees about futil matters in front of customer, i shared my concerns with staff and the GM who is really a very nice gentleman, and have been offered some possible options, the best one (penthouse was only free after 2 days.
I then left, i feel sorry for the very nice people and GM, but clearly the product is overpriced compared to what you can find around for a much better price.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room, before check in.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HappyfamilyNingbo
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family have been visiting and staying at Anantasila since we met in Hua Hin 20 years ago and have never been disappointed.......until now.

Last week we stayed at their rooftop penthouse suite, and paid 200 dollars a night, which is fine I guess for the space and the spectacular sea and beach views, however, our privacy and our vacation was disturbed by leering painters and other building workers who saw my wife naked in the apartment shower, which is located on the apartment terrace, and were caught by me several times looking directly into our apartment while my family was inside, which was very disturbing for everyone.

My young son also slipped on a plastic sheet covering the stairs down to the elevator which had been laid by the painters in the morning, and as a result suffered severe bruising to his back and a great deal of pain.

I also found the toweling and bed linen provided for 200 dollars a night of poor quality and insufficient quantity, same for the tiny little toiletries.

We were glad to see that the apartment sofa and chair had been recovered since our last visit, but unfortunately both were still to uncomfortable to sit on for any length of time, which meant we often had to lay on the floor when watching TV, or add several pillows.

The breakfast buffet was of a fairly high standard, (despite the miniature versions of almost everything) however, when we entered the restaurant we were stopped at the door by a rather unfriendly waiter who said "room numbers" without a Sawasdee, or good morning, or welcome to breakfast, which upset me as a hotelier and as a guest.

We only ate dinner once at their restaurant as the food was so bad, with the rubbery lasagna burnt and blackened, and the so called Wiener Schnitzel deep fried (instead of pan fried) to the texture of old shoe leather.

Five days after our return to Bangkok we are all seeing the large sores on our legs and bodies reduce in size and severity, all of which were caused by the local sand fleas and sand flies, which are prevalent on this particular beach for some reason, perhaps attracted by the open sewage and all the horse manure littering the beach.

We had all applied insect repellant as usual, but this time were attacked worse than ever, which caused everyone great distress, especially me as I have many open wounds on my head and legs which required hospital treatment.

Worst of all perhaps was the fact that the wireless internet was the worst I have encountered in decades of travel, (not available for 50% of the day, and when it was, it was to weak to download even small files) same goes for ipad, no signal, which meant my wife and I were separated from our businesses, and my son was none to pleased either being cut off from friends and the outside world.

As a hotelier, I guess I can forgive and forget the small stuff, such as all that mentioned above, if an apology is forthcoming, and the absence of any kind of welcome letter or fruit basket for such regular guests, even if I did pay 1000 US dollars for a less than satisfactory 5 nights stay, but I am afraid we cannot return unless the wireless internet bandwidth is brought up to an internationally accepted standard, such as that offered by the nearby and far superior InterContinental Resort, the fabulous Hilton, the fantastic Centara Grand, and the wonderful old Colonial Dusit Thani, all of whom charge less than 200 dollars a night for a full on 5 stars product and service.

Goodbye Anantasila we will always remember you, but we will never return

Gordon James Gorman. General Manager. Avari International Hotels, and Bangkok Resident.

2 Thank AvariTowers
Anantasila, Manager at Anantasila Villa by the Sea, Hua Hin, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Mr Gordon,

We were saddened to read your unfavorable review, especially, as you point out, you are a longtime guest. The behavior of the contract painters was unforgivable, especially since they have orders to avoid working around rooms that were occupied by guests. We did not learn of this serious breach of privacy until after checkout and tried to partially make up for it by offering a complimentary future room night and our sincere apologies. Let me personally apologize once more.

Regarding the poor internet reception, at the moment we can only guarantee reliable WiFi in our public areas, not in all of our rooms. This is, in part, because of our distance from the nearest telephone exchange. We try to make this clear on our website and in our confirmation letters. Meantime, we are trying to obtain fibre optics connections to the hotel which should allow us to extend our free internet access to the entire hotel. Until then, some guests will be obliged to connect in the Lobby, Restaurant, Beach Bar or Beach areas. We hope to end this inconvenience within the next few months.

With due respect, we believe it is unfair to state that the beach is ‘littered with horse manure” and near open sewage. There are only four horses working on a beach that is over 6 km long. Their owners are usually, perhaps not always, very assiduous about cleaning up after accidents. Their license to operate depends on it. There is no open sewer anywhere along the beach that I know of. The authorities would not permit it and few, if any, guests would tolerate it.

With respect to the $200 per night tariff you mentioned, our records indicate you were paying a special rate of $152 per night and the fee for your son was waived. This was for a seafront Penthouse unit which comprises a bedroom, living room, cooking facilities and a terrace of 80 square meters directly overlooking the sea. Comparing us to the big hotel chains is flattering but not something we would do. We are a family run local enterprise which tries its best to provide our guests with genuinely friendly and personalized service. We are truly sorry we let you down on your latest visit and would welcome the opportunity to make amends, should you decide to give us another chance.

Bruce Khalili

Anantasila Villa
West Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We have been here now for a week and we have to say we have only good things to voice! Having stayed at Hua Hin before in the more established grand hotels, the Anantasila is better than them all.

Being a small hotel the staff soon get to know you and their service is excellent. As for the location, it's a film set! Right on the beach with the best view for a meal you could hope for!

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wyndcliffe
Dear Guest,

Thank you so very much for such a fantastic review. It is always our greatest pleasure to learn that our guests had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the staff and hotel. Our team is consistently focused on delivering a quality service to our guests. Your comments definitely inspire us all to keep working hard.

We are all looking forward to your next visit. You are most welcome to contact me directly for your all your reservations.

Bruce Khalili

Anantasila Villa
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

With excellent service and a great location, this hotel provides a secluded retreat in the south of Hua Hin, away from the busy town center.

Everything you need is available - beautiful swimming pool facing the sea, good food (we stuck to the superb Thai cuisine but Western food available too) and a personal touch to the service, with plenty of smiles!

The quiet beach is perfect and also gives the chance to visit some lovely nearby restaurants and bars if you feel you need to change the scenery, and of course the town centre is easily reached by taxi if needed.

• Stayed July 2013