“To be AVOIDED at all costs”
Review of Hua Hin Kings Home

Hua Hin Kings Home
Ranked #17 of 294 Hua Hin B&B and Inns
london
“To be AVOIDED at all costs”
Reviewed March 21, 2008

As with others, I was met at the station by the friendly lady. i had not booked anywhere and so was glad to be offered a room. The room was small, like it was not a proper room at all, but a partitioned corridor. There was a bunk bed and absolutely no room to place my suitcase anywhere. It was cheap - in both sense of the word. John appeared very friendly. As it was late in evening I thought i will stay one night and find better place next day. I must have agreed to take the the room at a good rate (for the owners) because as I was leaving to go out, the lady said 'we usually ask people to stay a minimum of two nights'. I thought it was funny being mentioned now and not from first. As I went out I felt very depressed as I just could not face going back to that pigsty of a room, even just to sleep. So I found another room just across the street for 300 baths more and the room was 10times bigger and brighter (at Top Marks Hotel). As I was more interested in having a good holiday and not worry about the money I had already decided I will just move out same night and pay John for his room. So within 1 hour of checking in, I returned to King's Home to tell John that I was checking out. He thought I wanted to check out without paying for the room and he said I cant do it. I said I can doi what i like as i am paying for the room (as well as the breakfast i was not gonna have) and he replied that he had no option but to charge me the full room rate. I replied 'please dont insult me - everyone has options to charge whatever they think is fair'. I had left my bottle of water in the room and when i mentioned that John said he will give me another bottle from the fridge. He gave me a bottle of frozen water whose seal was broken - so I am not even sur ehis 'generosity' of free water is what it appears to be.
If you dont want to stay in a pigsty and dont want to come across people whose smiles and friendliness disappear the minute they are not making any money from it, I suggest you avoid King's Home

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — EVERYTHING
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
26 Thank shamtravel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
staffs, U.K
Reviewed March 11, 2008

we heard about the kings home guest house by chance. when we got off the train at hua hin we met a loveley lady who said she had rooms available and showed us some photo's. After a really long flight and a what felt like an even longer train journey we decided that this place would be just fine, as the pictures looked ok and the price was very reasonable. This was our first day in Thailand and was overwhelmed by the heat and the total change in culture so on our way to the hotel on foot we was more than happy to meet big John on his scooter who noticed we had one of his business cards in our hand and was looking a bit lost!!!
He took us to his guest house and after he introduced himself he said"welcome to our home" which i thought was pretty cool!!
He showed us all of the available rooms which all were clean and and all had their own very unique decor. We was just so happy to find somewhere to relax. When we got settled in to our room and had a shower Big John showed us where his fridge was and said help yourself to beer and cold drinks and don't worry about the money just pay for what you have had when you leave which was very trusting of him!
We never planned to stay at Hua Hin,we had a hotel booked on Samui for the next day but as we were there over the New Year period Thailand was very busy. Johns loveley wife made travel arrangemets for us to get to our hotel one day later and even phoned our hotel to re-arrange our booking!
This place is amazing! When i first got to Thailand i was a little overwhelmed but after meeting these people it made me feel at ease instantly. Im really gald we stayed here! Hua Hin is a great place to spend a few days and this was a fantastic start to an amazing holiday! SUPERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — friendliness of owner. A warm welcome and great service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
winnipeg
Reviewed February 18, 2008

Met John and his wife at the bus station, I was tired and they offered me a place, at a reasonable price in an excellent location. John was very nice offered me a room, comfortable but had to use the bathroom downstairs which was a pain in the middle of the night. In the back was a pool to cool off from the extreme heat. John was a cool guy very nice at first , but for some reason on the last 2 days was very unfriendly( had been there a week),although I did everything to figure out what I had done wrong. On the last day I packed up early and put my gear outside, out of the way, as my bus was leaving at 9 pm that night.. On the first day John told me that on the last day I could use the facilities (pool and shower) till my departure time. When I came back at 12pm from shopping so hot and sweaty, he told me to get my stuff out, he had no room for it and to be on my way....I had to drag my back pack for the rest of the day... head home without a shower for the next 2 days....thanks John,...so beware...I have nothing to say negatively about his wife, a nice lady... I'm an easy going guy, never complaining, and to tell you this was my only negative thing in a whole month in this beautiful country, people are wonderful, food excellent, Hua Hin being one of my favorite places, and would I stay here again...no way!!!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the owner
Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
19 Thank tukWinnipeg
Sweden
Reviewed February 12, 2008

Kings home feels almost like home!

If you are going to Hua Hin, do not hesitate to visit Kings Home.
Very friendly staff, great rooms with AC and free breakfast and internet! Just two blocks away from the night market!
We stayed there for 3 nights and loved it!
They will help you with anything and you feel appreciated!

It's better than Hilton. We promise!

/// Emma And Johanna, Sweden

• Liked — The atmosphere of the guesthouse! Feels like home!
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank starcloudSweden
Amsterdam NL-Manchester UK
Reviewed February 9, 2008

I traveled from Chiang Mai on an overnight bus to Bangkok, waited in a cafe for a couple of hours drinking coffee and then got a train to Hua Hin. This was my first visit to Hua Hin. I was still tired and had not booked anywhere to stay. A Thai lady approached me at the station about a new guest house. Why not, I thought.

I had no expectations, but what I found was fantastic. A welcoming family home. John is Dutch and Arunii is Thai. They make everyone feel relaxed. I found the other guests to also be friendly and interesting to chat with.

The house is full of Asian wonders. Wooden sculptures, beautiful rugs, huge sea shells, paintings and old clocks. So much better than a typical hotel with bare walls or the odd picture.

The facilities were basic when I first went there. But improve every time I return. I have stayed there several times and just arranging my next visit now. It has everything you need in a guest house when on holiday (as many other reviewers have already listed).

The location is perfect. You can easily walk to shops, restaurants, bars, night market, beach, fishing pier, bus station. Since my first visit I always travel there by mini bus now. It runs from the Victory Monument in Bangkok to Hua Hin, near John's home. It is fast and cheap.

I often travel alone and welcome the help and advice from John and Arunii. But staying in their home you are never alone.

I only had a problem once, when a neighbor played loud music one morning and woke me up a bit earlier than I had planned. John sorted it out and offered me a free night on my next visit. The next time I went there I forgot about the offer. But he reminded me and I enjoyed my free night. That is a measure of his integrity.

I like to visit Hua Hin each time I go to Thailand now, even if it is only for a couple of days. Kings Home will always be my first choice to stay. It is not perfect, just excellent.

• Liked — friendliness and location
  • Disliked — nothing negative to say
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
6 Thank dw100uk
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed December 8, 2007

We met the manager of the Kings Home in the train station of Hua Hin and got immediately very good feeling about how they treat their quests. We went to check couple of other questhouses on our way there but Kings Home was definitely the best of all!
Place has ideal position in the peaceful alley of Hua Hin centre and it is very near to the beach. Friendly family runs the place and it feels like you are at home! The questhouse is also very clean and they offer you many kind of services, including free internet. There is also nice cool pool on the backyard. Five stars! It think that it is not easy to find places like this in the heavily turisted areas.

Heikki from Helsinki, Finland

• Liked — Staff of the place are extremely friendly
  • Disliked — More space would not be such a bad idea.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
7 Thank Gooshi
jerusalem
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We arrived n Hua hin via the train and had no idea where to stay, John King "alias" Big John, showed up on a motorbike and told us about his B&B the rate seemed reasonable (a little high), but the few extra BOT was well worth in in the service.

John and his wife run an excelent place.It does not seem like a lodge but is full of eclecctic funshings an knik knaks. The food was very good and most of all they were very helpful. Halping us plan our days

The bootm line is that a warm atmosphere and friendly advise is exactl what you need n anew locaiton and you get everything you need here.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled with family