“Great, relaxing holiday”

Ranked #10 of 136 Hotels in Hua Hin
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Great, relaxing holiday”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We have just returned from 10 days at Aleenta, a boutique hotel with a capacity of around 75 people. As it was so small we felt we got to know the staff very well and they couldnt help us enough. They even taught us a bit of Thai! The food was outstanding and we looked forward to the 6 oclock snack and our evening meal everyday.

We stayed in the Chaba Villa which was beautiful. This is situated next to the Thai Prince's house and lots of very famous people have stayed in this villa such as David and Victoria Beckham and Ryan Gosling. That shows how luxurious and exclusive this hotel is. In our garden we had a sala (a day bed). It looked out onto the white sands of Pranburi and the lovely warm shimmering sea (the sea was actually warmer than the hotel pool!). We also had a private pool which was great for when the weather got very hot. James was an excellent manager who we sat and chatted to everyday. He was very informative and we learnt more about the Thai culture with him than if we were on a paid guided tour. He made our holiday special with a few extra touches eg. leaving rubber rings in the room for our children to use in the pool and biscuits left in our room on arrival. The staff gave us about 12 bottles of water a day in our room so we didnt have to worry about buying lots of things. However if we did want to buy anything there are about 3 small shops on the same road as the hotel and there is even a Tescos in the nearby village which is a short cycle away. The hotel lent us bicycles for the whole holiday so we cycled everyday. Nearby there is a beautiful temple which is lit up in the evening and a little fishing harbour (the hotel give you a map to show you what there is to see).

One night we (2 adults and 2 children) had a candlelit dinner on the tranquil beach. It was a set menu which was really tasty. We had a pork and mango salad for starter, a Thai coconut and chicken soup, steamed sea bass with stir fried vegetables and soy sauce for main course and a thai cake. We would certainly recommend this as it is such a special and memorable occasion.

We stayed in the frangipani wing which is the family wing. The hotel and the staff are very good with children and they offered to change the menu to make it suitable for them. This wing is about 200m from the main bit of the hotel (the hotel is on 2 campuses) and it is a pleasant walk. But if you dont want to walk there is a Tuk Tuk service which is completely free. As soon as we walked out of the hotel there was one waiting for us; great service.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone and we hope to come back within a year.

Room Tip: The chaba villa is the best.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thekeentravelle... t

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We just returned from 5 days... and had picked Aleenta Hua Hin based on other trip advisor ratings and it was a new location in Thailand that we hadn't yet been. We were happy we chose to stay further afield from Hua Hin city beaches... the atmosphere was relaxing and chill. We stayed in two different rooms, one was an ocean view, the second was the ocean view pool suite right on the beach... definitely worth booking one of the three round thatch roof ocean view pool huts, with plunge pool and ladder access to drop down into the sand. Preloaded ipods w/ Chill tunes were a nice change from the usual.

The beach was impeccably clean and the staff rake it every morning - no trash washing up on the shore which so many popular beaches suffer from. Despite the random very large jelly fish, which were noted on the sea & weather conditions sign as we entered the beach, we were able to enjoy swimming in the clean ocean - a real treat now that we're living in Singapore.

The staff was friendly and attentive and not overburdening. Breakfast was great, and note that you can order things that aren't on the menu - we saw a couple order mango and banana and followed suit. We had lunch and dinner at the restaurant as well, especially liked the pork/basil, and the spring rolls. At night the chef prepares fresh made appetizers and they are delivered to your room at 6pm. Nice touch.

Cool thing, the hotel has a tuk tuk shuttle which will take you up and down the main stretch so you can sample the local cuisine. We ate at "really good restaurant" which true to name, was really good, and then at Tonto's one night for fresh caught seafood. So if you choose to pry yourself off your beach front platform and explore, there are good options close by.

We did check out Cicada market on Friday despite being told it would not be open (Sat and Sun are apparently the busy days) and enjoyed the trip, the market was fun & festive (even while raining), the food was exceptional - the cleanest food stalls we've ever seen, and it's easy to grab transport at the taxi stand across the street from the hotel. For 700 THB they will take you in a brand new Toyota truck, and wait all night until you're ready to come home.

We were pleased with our stay, and also pleased that James resolved a mix up that SLH had done with our booking. We will definitely be back, but note definitely need a long weekend as it's a bit of a haul from Bangkok. But worth the trek, as there are no touts or tourists flooding the beaches. It was a great way to relax.

2 Thank Flashpacker08
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The place is lovely and we had a tastefully designed suite right on a tranquil beach. The plunge pool is superb especially when the temperature is shooting through the roof. The food is fine (loved the soft and crispy noodles) and prices are reasonable. The staffers, although some of which don't speak or understand English very well, were friendly and were sincerely trying their best.

A few not so nice things. The location is a bit far away, a 3-hour drive from Bangkok each way, so unless you are staying for a number of days it may not worth it. Second, perhaps guests should be told at check-in that there are a lot of jellyfish in the sea. I am not sure if the jellyfish in the area are harmless but it's an information that guest should know before they go into the water. The air condition was rather loud while outdoor toilet is interesting but can be a nuisance when there are mosquitoes around.

Now the unfortunate incident. One morning at the restaurant during breakfast we heard the manager barking at someone in the kitchen. He was rather harsh and loud (repeated use of "do you understand?" then something about he could make the other person leave since it's his hotel) that the entire dining room could hear it. Content aside, having guests listened to his diatribes is rather unprofessional and stands in sharp contrast of the ambient the resort wants to create. There are ways to manage the situation better. Judging from other reviews, the manager seems like a nice guy and an efficient manager so I hope this was just an one-off incident that won't occur again.

1 Thank jontam5
DOSM_AHMS, General Manager at Aleenta Hua Hin Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest
Im realy glad you you enjoyed your stay and i appreciate your feedback
Sadly in rainy season and in over clouded conditions the jelly fish do creep in and out , they are not there all the time and depends on the weather we do have it on our beach board
Im glad you enjoyed our food and enjoyed our teams efforts to accomidate you .
I know you enjoyed the spa and i did send you a persoanl email prior to this report to appologise for what you over heard behind closed doors
i can assure you it wasnt as bad as you imagined and im sure you will agree ,no bad language was used at all, in any language .we also met each othe ron many occasions and i did pop into you suite on that but you were chilling with your I pod
i agree with your points and as suggested a one of incidient although in prefesional kitchens you do hear the workings and some have made careers out of it ( not me )
We are happy you enjoyed your suite and the pool and as per your guest comment in our guest book we do hope you return as stated and see the progresion of our wondeful resort

best wishes guys
calm , James Noble and his team

I
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I had a really high expectation on Aleenta especially after seeing my friend's wedding photos at Aleenta Phuket. However Aleenta Hua Hin is much smaller than I thought. The infinity pool looked more like the size of a big jacuzzi to me. There was one gentleman in it with his spouse sitting beside the pool when I and my boyfriend entered, and all at once we decided to leave as we didn't see enough space for us to move around, not swim even.

But that's ok as the room we had was very spacious and comfortable. Who cares about the pool when there's a beach just outside our room anyway? There we jumped into the sea and not long afterwards both of us felt pins and needles on our skin. That night I began to have really itchy red spots all over my body! It's weird because the sea was very clean and there wasn't anyone there either. Till now it has been 10 days already but the red spots are still there, itchy as hell. My boyfriend does not have as many spots as I do but his haven't gone yet either. I went to a dermatologist today and she said those may be Sea bather's rash... now I'm putting steroid on my skin...

I don't blame the pool nor the sea. What I didn't like most were the charges of the so called activities provided by Aleenta. I did some research on tripadvisor and it seemed that the Hua Hin Hills Vineyard was worth visiting. Since Aleenta was a bit remote I thought, so I asked the hotel to arrange the excursion for me. Can you guess how much they charged? 2800baht + service charge + tax which made 33xx baht in total for just the taxi ride ONLY! Of course I had to pay for the true activities in the vineyard. And it's not even a nice taxi, or a hotel car. It's a very very ordinary van, a little bit dirty too. And it's just a 45min drive. I paid 2500baht only for a much nicer taxi from hua hin to bangkok (3hr drive) the next day at the little shop right opposite! No wonder why James [--], the resident manager asked me to confirm the booking right away when I checked in. Oh and a trip to bangkok costs 7200+service charge+tax, they quoted. Not to mention their spa buffet costs 6000++ for 3hrs, while I could get similar stuff at less than 1000 somewhere nearby.

I appreciate their service, and decor, though I didn't find them amazingly good because I've experienced quite a number of better ones with similar prices. I personally prefer the Thai way of running a business which is not as aggressive and pushy. When I refused to have the candle light dinner (4500++), the staff kept showing me the menu plus a sad face. I hope the manager wouldn't tell her off later. I don't like being put under pressure when I am supposed to have a relaxed stay in a resort.

1 Thank IonaL
Good afternoon
Im sad you are felling unwell, this maybe due to the very small jelly fish that swim this time of year due to the weather conditions it does say this on our beach information board and i di actually inform you when you went out
Im also astonished that you feel our service was expensive, as we get comments on how much we give ..
Our spa buffet starts with 3 hours for 3000THB per person and then after that you can book more time up to 6 hours inclusive , we do the first 3 and as written, its a bufet and you can book more PM time if needed
We have had great feedback on this promotion and our 1000THB as long as you stay unlimited laundry promotion regards value for money , i honestly dont know where you can stay in a spa for 5 hours or more for 60 pounds and experince great treatments by trained therapists .
We asked for you to sign your transfers when you arrive as hotel policy , all excurions are signed for before you attend them again as hotel policy and its listed in our guest activities the one we emailed to you in advance expalining what there was , there is no pushiness or acheiving involved at Aleenta
Managemnet are not on incentives neither are my team , we just like to tailor as much as possible before you arrival to allow for time on your side , as you are aware we can also do things at short notice for you like jetskieing and accomidating your family members and offering complimentary water for excurions etc, we dont mind if you wsh to cancel anything , Indeed you can get a taxi for less , however our Aleenta transfer includes snacks , water and movies for the journey with the safety of our own drivers and their Knowledge and that price is a round trip 7200THb ++ working out just 20 pounds( 1000THb more than a taxi )
We offer advise and even free transfers to other restuarants along our strip , so im not sure how thats finacially motivated
We feel we are priced correctly for the service we offer , the pool as stated isnt our only pool and yes its more of a hang out chill pool rather than an olympic pool as our other wing as informed does have a larger pool along with your suite having its own plunge pool , i guess we can never have to many pools though

Thank you for your feedback , we really do need this kind of thing , we wil adress each point in our mornig brief and look into it , stay in contact via email , i hope you recieved our welcome home letter

best regards

James Noble and his team
Rm
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I have traveled all over Thailand and found the pristine beaches and loving people of Pranburi to be worthy of us rating this stay as our best to date. This stretch of the Thai coast appears to have been purposefully protected from the commercialism and other modern advancements which have eroded other parts of the country.
The staff from the resident manager on down were extremely courteous, professional and consistently maintained a familial relationship with their guests without intruding on our privacy (a rarity with this size of a property!!).
The staff is always ready to help - We had several random requests that were no problem at all including a bowl of dry white rice for a water-logged iPod. One of the staff members that stood out for us was Lek. She always has a smile - her youthful exuberance and pride for her hometown epitomizes what the Aleenta offers it's clientele.

We stayed in Pool Suite 10 and out of the three Pool Suites it has the most privacy. Definitely recommend staying here if you want that retreat away!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank AJyJT
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Nothing I say about this weeks holiday can do it justice. My wife and I were seeking a week of relaxation, and being pampered....doing as little or as much as we wanted, when and where we wanted. We spent a number of days just relaxing by the idyllic pool; a day with the elephants; hours walking down the natural beach (just beautiful), a morning with the manager and chef at the local market and the holiday finished off with a romantic dinner for 2 on the beach. All the 20 or so rooms are individual & wonderful and we would have been happy to stay in any of them. Could not recommend this hotel enough.... for setting; what it offers and most importantly the wonderful staff and amazing service.

Room Tip: Be clear whether you want to be right next to the beach or a view of the beach ....all rooms are fab...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Due to a small accident my father-in-law had before arriving in Pranburi, we were stuck in the Frangipani Villa and mobility was very limited. During our stay the Resident Manager/his wife and his staff took care of us like we were the only one on the resort. During our stay we also had to do a spontaneous hospital visit which was arranged on the spot and also translation services in the hospital was arranged without asking. The lack of mobility made us use the hotel facitilies to its fullest. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were served by Ms A. (shortest name i ever heard) with a smile in our villa.
If we could find any issue, the solution was provided instantly. We have stayed at many excellent hotels around the world, yet the service has never been as good and friendly as in the Aleenta. Sounds like I am the manager writting this but I am not.

Credit should be given where credit is due and they certainly did a fantastic job accomodating us where we had many wishes. Even for my daughters birthday special arrangments were made with no hassle. I quote my 14 year old: "This was the best birthday ever" (and you know how difficult it is to convince a teenager)
Being in charge myself of a Service team worldwide, I have learned valuable lessons of serving your customers with a smile and patience. No matter what.

Thank you James and his wife, Ms A and all the other staff for making our stay a pleasure despite of my father in law, being unable to walk.

GBA - Switzerland

Room Tip: The villa is a nice place to stay with a large pool next door. If you do have an issue talk to the m...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family