“Great view”

Chopsticks Hill (Khao Takiab)
Book In Advance
$63.31*
Khao Takiab and Plearnwan Tour in Hua Hin Including Lunch
$104.90*
Half-Day Small-Group Hua Hin Highlights and Winery Tour
$91.20*
Private Half-Day Hua Hin Highlights and Vineyard
Reviewed July 3, 2014

It's ok to go there for the view and to see the monkeys. It's worth a trip. We spend approximately an hour......remember if you want to check out the temple dress code!!!!!!

1  Thank svenklink80

Reviewed July 2, 2014

I don't think that this place is worth to visit. Very dirty and a lot of awful aggressive monkeys. My wife was attacked by them. Keep away from this place.

2  Thank chiangmaez
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I guess we all want change and updates and for "something to happen"... but then it is Khao Takiab and not much changes year to year... I take a scooter and do a potter about, going left to the base of the Golden Buddha and then back out and via the concrete bridge -

I have met some "nice monkey's" and others who are evil and bad mannered little sods ... I have learned over time... have patience and wait, there are one or two gentle characters who will come and silently converse with you. I find their expressions and a gentle reaching hand most interesting.

These monkeys are really 'wild animals' and yes, the interaction can be relaxing... Don't scream and appear frightened - these guys know the tourists are easy meat but they don't take teasing well...

I always stop for the local Hot Coffee in the shade - and a cold drink... sure, I too could buy a wind chime and all the other eclectic stuff but enjoy the coffee sitting beside the netting walls - a little furry hand might appear and if you are lucky its mother and child. That makes it all worthwhile.

Coming back down the hill - stop in the car park on the seaward side - that is a grand view of the beach.

The fishermen in the creek - I guess these boys are the true Thailand 'native'... how they fish nightly for hours in such rickety boats - and have done for century's... Not much has changed in twenty years - although I see that some of the boats now have GPS, they still look rickety!

Yes, the Temple could be cleaner - it even could be pristine if someone took responsibility - the monkeys could have manners but really, everybody is scratching out a living.
We need to consider as tourists - as guests in somebody else's country that we often pick up the bad side.

This Temple has been here on the hill for eons - the fishermen here for probably a thousand years and change does not happen instantly.... They have a new concrete bridge over the creek - that is progress..

You need to go. You need to contemplate the past and even ponder on its future. Kkao Takiab has doubled in size in twenty years - so many more hotels and developments - some good some bad - this is Thailand - it all takes time and at every visit celebrate the changes. That makes it worthwhile.... Nothing happens overnight.

3  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed June 26, 2014

the odd monkey like we did as we taxied up the hill, & was quite delighted to see so many! I loved being in the thick of it all as we wandered freely around photographing the monkeys', so many cute babies! Don't stare at them though as one of them jumped up me, he was after my rucksack. It was one of the more adventurous ones who was jumping in & out of the pool. I can't believe that they don't clean the place up a bit & charge an entrance fee I certainly wouldn't mind paying. Some of the monkeys looked quite sad. One of them had a piece of glass & I think he could see his reflection in it, another was rubbing a large piece of brick up & down like it was his life's work. There's a market to buy stuff. My husband was advised by the stallholder to sit & eat his ice cream at the stall as the monkeys would steal it. Although one of them got on the roof & tried to dive on him to get it as he sat at the stall, luckily the stallholder spotted the monkey first. The fishing village at the bottom of the hill looked interesting, but we didn't stop. We paid the taxi driver (Mr Min Tieamtad) 800 Baht for this trip to Monkey Mountain, Elephant Village, & the Shopping Centre, a good day all round!

5  Thank DeuceWooo
Reviewed June 24, 2014

I'm not sure this should even be called an attraction.
It's a shame that this place is not cared for at all 'cos it coud be lovley, but as it stands now it is full of monkey feases which stink and broken stuff.
There are no guides or anything to help you get around or to protect you from the monkeys which seemed aggressive at times.
Neither were there any signs of that religious dresscode should be applied everywere (?) which a religious man screamed at us about as we were walking down.
Neither do I think that the fishermans village is at all directed a tourists, maybe us it more fun in the mornings when the boats come in, but at afternoon when we were there it was just not much to look at except a few restaurants which had their shellfish at display...

2  Thank Millansinsta