“Sadly, the owner can not work” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crepes & Co. Hua Hin Restaurant - CLOSED

Crepes & Co. Hua Hin Restaurant
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: French & Mediterranean all-day dining, established since 1996, we relocated from Bangkok to Hua Hin at the end of 2012. French Crepes & Mediterranean specialties from Greece, Morocco & Spain. Choice of indoors or outdoors dining with a wide open air bar and a kids playground on the premises to keep the little ones entertained while parents enjoy their meal
Bangkok, Thailand
“Sadly, the owner can not work”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Being a huge fan of their Bangkok restaurant since many years, we were delighted to see there also have a branch in Hua Hin; it is not only beautiful but on par with Bangkok standards regarding the food & service. We were also happy to see the same owner, dropping by for a friendly chat at the table.

What a surprised however to see that, when we told him that we were ready to place our order, he apologised and asked us to wait a little bit in order to get hold of a service staff. The restaurant being pretty busy at that time, we had to wait a relatively long time until he came back together with a waitress who took our order, while he just stood by.

When we inquired why he would not take our order by himself like he had done on so many occasions in Bangkok, specially since his staff was pretty busy, he mentioned that Hua Hin being different than Bangkok he is allowed to do so.

Anyway, in the end his team delivered great service but we simply have never heard of such thing like a restaurant owner not being allowed to serve his customers!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Crepesncohuahin, Owner at Crepes & Co. Hua Hin Restaurant, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear jotath,

Thank you very much for your patronage over the years; we are glad to know you also enjoy our newest branch!

Your observation touches a very sensitive nerve and I will try to explain in a “politically-correct way’, but I am not sure it is really possible; let me explain:

It seems that our opening in Hua Hin has created some kind of disturbance among the local business community and we’ve clearly been the target of unfair treatment such as the police coming in plain clothes to the restaurant, waiting for me to serve customers, so that could catch me.

Unknown to me until we opened in Hua Hin, is that a foreigner -even with proper work permit documentation- is totally forbidden to serve a customer since this specific job is reserved for Thai Nationals only. This has never been an issue in Bangkok, as it seems the authorities indeed understand that this is part of the reality of running a restaurant successfully hence do not enforce this law at all.

You also might have also noticed that in many of Hua Hin restaurants, you regularly see foreigners serving customers but as police told me, they had been informed by “someone” (they would not tell me who and I can only assume it must have been a well established jealous individual with powerful local contacts) about me breaking the law and were asked to verify. They did and caught me in the act of pulling the chair for a lady and giving two menus to customers.

Luckily after 17 years in the country, my Thai language skills are relatively advanced so that after 3 hours negotiation at the police station I got away with a bribe - which I am convinced is what they were looking for anyway - when I was normally due to be taken to jail or left out on bail with a pending judgment for criminal offense.

Needless to say it was an experience I did not enjoy and since then, whenever I see some customers who could potentially be undercover policemen (if my memory serves me right, I remember your table on Saturday 19 October and you might have noticed that in the busy dining room, there was a Thai gentleman in his late forties -with these very unique shiny leather booties & perfectly ironed brown trousers that give a very suspicious hint- dining by himself which is a pretty rare sight in our restaurant) I make the effort to be extra careful to avoid such problems.

I hope you now understand the reason why I did not take your order by myself on your visit and had to unfortunately make you wait for the waitress to have time to do so instead of me.

The most irritating and frustrating part for me is that the most enjoyable part of being a restaurateur is being “on the floor during the heat of the service” taking care of customers together with the team, so that even though I try to be careful with the service issue, I actually still regularly break the law when there is no “suspicious-looking individual” around…. always making sure I have 5000 baht cash in the pocket in case things turn sour again! :-)

With many thanks for your understanding and kind regards

Serge

• Thai first
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Always Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Lunch with my friend on a Saturday around noon, many people mostly Thai from Bangkok is my guess. For us Hua Hin people I have to say come here and try, I have tried many things from the menu and nothing that dissapoints. The Creps are sure very good but there are many other things too. Tapas is one good thing to start with. Prices are resonable. The owner Philippe seems to be here everytime to greet his customers which is nice. The setting are very nice, you can sit outside or inside in the A/C room. Decoration are different and very tasteful.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Crepesncohuahin, Owner at Crepes & Co. Hua Hin Restaurant, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear JankanHH,

Thank you very much for your patronage and for taking time to post your very encouraging comment! As you rightly noticed, we do indeed get a fair amount of our loyal Bangkok customers who appreciate the fact that we have this new Hua Hin branch after starting to serve them in 1996.

Furthermore, whilst I always really enjoy to be mistaken for my brother Philippe, the creator of the original Crepes & Co. concept, you might have been misled by the fact that his name appears in various places (in our restaurant history page and also in the menu as one of our specialties, the “Chicken Philippe”…); the fact is that he sadly succumbed to a fatal heart attack at the much too young age of 35 in year 2000 and we miss him dearly; yet your identity mistake is most welcome as it somehow does keep him alive! :-)

Anyway, we are delighted to know that you enjoy our restaurant and looking forward to the pleasure of serving you again, we remain.

With many thanks and kind regards,

Serge and your Crepes & Co. team
Vienna, Austria
“Crepes delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Large but cozy Restaurant with extremely friendly staff and delicious crepes. Also great Morrocan and French Food, all served in a nice designed garden. Waitresses took care of our toddler and entertained her in a special kid's corner inside. Thank you for a relaxed dinner, we'll be back for more.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Chris S
Mahe Island, Seychelles
“Great concept, great menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Once again Crepes & Co did it right !
I came with my family - 2 young daughters - an evening during the week end.
Was really impressed by the location, large spacious, both outdoor and indoor, furnished with taste. Very nice warm decor and atmosphere, the service is relaxed, friendly and efficient.
Serge and his team have set-up a very nice kids corner, which makes it perfect for family.
The menu is typical Crepes & Co: great variety of crepes + nice selection of mediteranean / moroccan tapas style items...Thank you to Serge and all the Team, we will be back !!

UK
“Truly superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

Went here yesterday for a too quick lunch (forced by circumstances) and looking to return with friends next week. Name is misleading - there is far more to the menu than crepes - and a really interesting mix of foods from Morroco, France and Greece. Setting is really relaxing and the staff truly superb - our waitress was a young lady who joined two weeks ago from the Intercontinental Hotel and her service was truly five star and a real cut above most other restaurants in the area. We had crispy crepe to share (lovely), hubby had a Thai curry (not as hot as he would like but always on first visits chefs are concerned about making food for a foreigner truly Thai hot - that will come on future visits I suspect) and I had a bacon, onion cheese crepe. Next time when we have more time we'll try a wider range. A real shame we couldn't stay longer as the ambience is one where it would be nice to have leisurely lunch and relax ... which will we certainly do on our next visit

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Crepesncohuahin, Owner at Crepes & Co. Hua Hin Restaurant, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Carolineess,

Thank you very much for taking time to write such an encouraging comment; we are delighted to know you enjoyed our restaurant!

Also, please accept our apologies for not making the curry spicy enough as it might as well have been a mistake from our side; let me explain: the Thai food we serve -as an addition to our regular specialty menu which focuses on Crepes & Mediterranean food- is meant to be "Thai food for Thais, not Thai food for foreigners", so that the taste should not be toned down at all. We do actually get odd complains about our Thai food being too spicy, from foreigners used to some tourist orientated restaurants adjusting the food to their taste, but I don't want to stop our Thai Chefs cooking food as they do at home everyday!

In any case, thank you very much for your input that does help us ensuring we will serve all Thai food at the right spiciness level in the future!

Looking forward to the pleasure of serving you again, we remain.

Yours truly,

Serge & your Crepes & Co. team.