“What a great place to relax”
Review of GUTI Resort by AKA

GUTI Resort by AKA
Ranked #93 of 135 Hotels in Hua Hin
Calgary, Canada
“What a great place to relax”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

The resort is about a fifteen minute drive from downtown Hua Hin and provides a shuttle service, numerous times per day, to downtown. We were upgraded to a 2 BR villa on the front row, one of four, of the eighteen total units, providing unobstructed views of the mountains and the best privacy to be expected.

The General Manager greeted us at check-in, which was a nice touch, and explained a little of the history of the resort and how he had recently returned to whip the place back into shape. It was evident that plenty had already been done and that plenty more was still to be done to refurbish the place.

The villa had a small living room with a wet bar and a bedroom on either end of the building, complete with full bathroom including outdoor shower and tub. Don’t come here to watch television as the selection of channels is sparse. A DVD/CD player is also provided but you have to bring your own in order to utilize it as the hotel does not have a selection to choose from. Both bedrooms and the living room provided access to the pool deck and the 10 metre pool. There was also a small covered area for a little bit of shade with a table, chairs, and a fan. Two chaise lounges completed the deck.

Breakfast was included in our rate and varied between ordering off the menu or a buffet, the latter apparently the option when hotel occupancy warranted. Menu and buffet items were varied between Thai and western dishes and were very satisfying.

For most of our time here, the only sounds to be heard were the various species of birds and other critters which contributed to an overall sense of calm. The quiet and seclusion of this place are the main draws. This place is relaxation defined. If you can’t relax in the solitude here you’re doing something wrong.

Room Tip: The 2 BR units on the front row and edge of the property are the best for unobstructed views and pri...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Guru_AB
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Travel_Guru_AB,

Thank you very much for your constructive review and comments following your recent stay with us at AKA Guti.

I am glad to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that your experience was satisfying.

It has been a great pleasure meeting you both.
I am happy that you have taken fully in the natural surroundings as discussed as the main objective in staying in Guti is to purely relax and absorb the peacefulness and the beauty of the silence.

I have taken your point on the DVD selection and I thank you for the suggestion it is something that we will work upon in having a selection of DVD/CD available for our guests to use during their stay.

As you rightly stated plenty has been and is being done, though plenty does need to be done and I will add this to the list.

Your feedbacks and comments are being shared to all concerned.

As you rightly stated if one can’t enjoy to relax here in such a surrounding then something is definitely wrong.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit with us at AKA Guti.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed here for a short trip - 3D2N
Overall experience was good and with the pool in your room, you have your own joy of swimming at anytime of the day.

Wonderful staff, friendly and helpful. Location to town is a bit far but you are not missing anything. If you prefer to shop, this is not the place to be in. This is a place for relax, and spend time alone.

They have shuttles to town, or you could catch a taxi back which costs about 250-350baht, depending on your bargaining skills.

Room wise, I would say its good. Except, they could improve on the choice of pillows as I found it way too "high" and not much alternatives.
They gave complimentary mini bar, consisting of beer, soft drinks and chocolates, Not all items, you need to look out for the white sticker on it.
On the first night, there were no TV programs as I was told that the server was down. Which makes the room a bit quiet as we prefer some noises from the TV.
Food at breakfast and room service was great and I think they have improved on it as I saw bad reviews about it.
Due to the location, you will expect some insects and mosquitos... so it will be good that you keep the doors closed at night.
Fresh fruits delivered to your room every night.
If you have booked your seat for the shuttle, they will pick you up in their buggy 5 minutes before the shuttle arrives which saves you from all the walk and sweating in the hot weather.

I assume that during the peak season, it may be a problem as they have limited staff. But trust me, they do their best and we can feel it.

If you are coming from Bangkok, I suggest that you arrange your own transport. The transport that they arrange for me was bad. 2,500baht one way. The journey from Bangkok was by this driver who drove very badly and upon arrival, I was all giddy and wanted to vomit. The journey back to Bangkok took 3.5hours, because the driver was chit chatting all the way on her phone! She was late to pick us up and therefore we were late to reach the airport. However, I stress that this is by no fault of AKA Resort Guti. It is just that I would like to warn all that you have other choices of transport.

If you want to recharge yourself and spend time with your partner/family, this is the place to be. Quiet, private, relax.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chuamel
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Chuamel,

Well, Well, Well!

Thank you very much for your very detailed feedback’s and comments much appreciate you taking the time to do so very clearly.
I am tremendously happy to read that you have been impressed by our staff and the team whom has been looking after you during your recent stay with us.
As it seems the private pool did the trick for you which you have fully enjoyed!
It is correct that our location is slightly remote though it always has been the intention to be so in order to be able to provide the quietness and peacefulness that we do have.
TV signal is a reluctant issue which doesn’t seem to like being sorted out once and for all.
But do trust me we seriously are working on it.

Well noted on your point regarding the pillows selection which we are looking into other alternatives in the near future.

I am glad that our breakfast and room service offerings were satisfying and to your taste, we do have seriously improved the quality of our cuisine the past months even though our menu offering could seem small though many Thai favorites off the menu can be ordered at any times.

I am surprised for your comment in regard of the transportation provided for your transfer from Bangkok to Hua Hin and the return trip I will look deeper into, that as we have recently changed the company having a better reputation that the one we used in the past.

Once again thank you sincerely for your very constructive comments which are shared to the team.

I am very much looking forward to welcome you back on your next stay with us.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 7, 2014

PROS:

*A tranquil retreat-esque resort

*Peaceful and quiet surroundings

*Close to nature

*Two-bedroom villa was nice and spacious:

*Generous, well-maintained private pool

*Wide and pretty view from deck

CONS:

*Very small breakfast buffé with little selection

*Only one restaurant/one menu

*The one-bedroom villa's private pool offers no privacy whatsoever (instantly drove us to move to the two-bedroom villa which was a lot more satisfying) - you could be seen by neighbors in full view, also from the walkway, meaning guests and staff would and could walk right past

*The 1B villa deck is very small and offers no sunbeds or opportunity to sunbathe would you wish to

*The bathroom in both villas are divided into a shower room and toilet room (opposite), and the general sink space. Between the bedroom and bathroom there's a curtain you can draw to close off since the door to the shower room is glass and puts you in full view from the outside - this is negative for anyone not traveling as a couple only.

*Also the shower offers no handheld shower head, which makes it difficult not getting your hair wet if you only wish to shower your body

*The shower in the 2B villa is outdoors (for some reason) with the unpleasant company of insects

*There was no gym, even though the hotel stated it. We asked to use the gym at the sister hotel and were told it was under construction, only to find out later (when at said hotel for an errand) that it was not

GENERAL INFO

*Free shuttle to town takes about twenty minutes

*You might feel a little lonely if you enjoy the usual buzz at busier hotel's

*You'll love it if you're looking for calmness and escape

Room Tip: The two-bedroom villa. It is well worth it to choose a 2B villa if you're a group of three (inst...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear KB500,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and feedback's in regards of your recent stay with us at AKA Guti.

I am glad to see that you have had an overall pleasant stay with us though some short comings from our side could not make your stay a memorable experience.
Well noted on your positive points as I can read that you have enjoyed the tranquility, peacefulness and the space provided both for the villa and the pool.

I will inquire with our Chef on what has been the matter during breakfast as not only during high occupancy do we have a buffet selection for juices, cold cuts, bakery items, Asian specialties and so forth but do offer as well all our eggs dishes made to order.
Having 18 villas we never planned to have more than restaurant though our guests are always able to order off the menu their favorite Asian food.
Design unfortunately does not always mean user friendly or practical, we are actually assessing how to bring in an additional handled shower which fits seamlessly with the overall.

I understand well your point in regards for the layout of the one bedroom villa though emphasizing on the incredible views available we are limited in the options as if we wish to be more private we will definitely lose out on the scenery as the villa is actually set and oriented.

All your constructive feedback's are being shared to all concerned.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments.

Looking forward to welcome you on your next stay with us expecting the necessary improvements to have been implemented.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

We were there in January 2014 and found the place was so relax and peaceful, the simple yet stylist and elegant design made the place so nice and comfortable. The GM Cyrille welcomed us and we have seen him during lunch and dinner talking to other guests. A very passionate person and he has a warm hospitality and works very hard because I have seen him from morning until evening. I have traveled a lot and I love food and GUTI provides excellent cuisine. We felt that the resort needs an upgrading and that should be just perfect. This resort is suitable for those who love to relax and enjoy the peaceful stay I would recommend. Overall staff are friendly and helpful. We will come back again soon when we need to recharge our battery from hard working.

• Stayed January 2014
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Dallascow,

It was a pleasure meeting you during your last stay with us at AKA Guti.
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our property.
Certainly appreciate to be on your feedbacks though as discussed during your stay the most important is all about passion and how we can make a genuine positive impression.
Your compliments have certainly been shared to the team as for your appreciation of the cuisine provided by Chef.

As stated in my previous replies we are working hard to overcome and minimize our shortcomings we are step by step working on upgrading every villas in order to exceed our guests expectations. It is of course a challenge in itself to achieve so you might think, but I believe with the team we are slowly putting in place the tailored trainings we are bringing in all will definitely move to the next level.
As everything in life all takes time and the Team need to nurture steadily.

I seriously trust that Guti is something special much was there before us and the natural surroundings did not need to be created as all was there.
It does of course need to be seen as such to be fully appreciated.

We are with the Team certainly looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

Once again thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedbacks and comments.

Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We were on our roadtrip from Krabi to Bangkok and we have planned to stop for few nights in Hua Hin. Coming from Krabi where surrounded with Andaman sea we did not need to stay at beachside resort. So as have chosen Aka Guti and it was the best of all.

We love the tranquility and peaceful of the place. The sunset view was amazing. The simplicity of the place is its charm yet comfortable with all necessary touch for what people need on their holiday.

The 2 bedroom pool villa was so comfortable and given us such a spacious space. Don't mention the villa pool, it was perfectly built and we love it so much even can't deny to jump in the pool when we were there at 18 degree temperature. The villa facilities was well prepared and comfortable. The in villa tea and coffee maker amenity as well as the daily chocolate amenity were the best.

Anyone would never imagine the main swimming pool, it was absolutely stunning with the size the location and the amazing sunset view. Our son was so sad when we were leaving he loves the swimming pool.

The restaurant and bar were very nice. Through the simplicity you can feel the warm touch of the antique decoration where not too overwhelming but just perfect. The setting and location are second to none. The food was delicious, we had breakfast there everyday and love it, great selection and delicious. Our dinner and lunch were also wonderful. We noticed the high quality of ingredients the chef has picked.

The staff are helpful and friendly. Thank you to Chef Yod who always come and say hello to us whenever we dine in the restaurant and he has given us some of his recommendation and no doubt it was delicious. The General Manager, Cyrill was amazing his warm welcome and personal touch were so special. We noticed he was always around and talked to his guests. Very charming of him.

We will without doubt return and stay at Guti again whenever our travel plan brings us back to Hua Hin and will recommend the place to our family and friends.

We would like to thank all staff and the Management for our great memorable experience at Guti.

Sawitree and family.

Stayed January 2557
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Sawitree and Family,

Not to fall into the standard automatic type of reply I will do it differently this time as I am personally impressed by your review.
I would like of course to thank you for this in taking the time to be so detailed as for your experience and stay with us at AKA Guti.

It is certainly pleasing to see such a review as General Manager especially seeing that the hard work from the entire team is being recognized and appreciated.
As expressed in my previous responses both our properties AKA Resort & Spa and AKA Guti have been suffering for a long period of time of the worst management possible and was lost there was no true understanding of what there is to enjoy when taking the time to notice your surroundings.
Reading through your constructive comments and feedbacks I am happy to see that you have plainly just done that ‘’Carpe Diem’’.

What we do have is very special it is all there and we did not have to create it the views, sunsets, the natural peacefulness and serenity one will feel when truly open to enjoy this fully.

Our main swimming pool is without a doubt the most amazing pool any resort of such a size would dream of having it is truly stunning and perfectly orientated to enjoy with greatness such horizon and views.

I am delighted to see that Chef Yot had made such an impression as for the quality of is cuisine and the ingredients used.
It is of course an happy feeling to know that the overall team proved to be friendly and helpful this is the minimum expected though not always nor everywhere the case.

On a final note thank you for your kind appreciation, I am an Hotelier at heart truly passionate in what I am doing.

I am and the entire AKA Guti Team very much looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

Hua Hin, Thailand
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I love this place!

My BF and I stayed there for honeymoon. The staffs were very friendly and helpful.

Breakfast is widely offered from Asian to International, plus, a la carte was delicious!

The villa was clean and tidy, looked simple but gave us the luxurious feeling. It is nicely decorated with infinity pool overlooking the sunset mountain range. The villas are separated from each other so we felt the private atmosphere which is the resorts concept.

They also set up bathroom amenities with the product from ELLE spa. So special!
Also, they provide capsule coffee machine and great tea set for your favorites.

Everything was perfect. We really did enjoy our trip.

Definitely will come back again!

Room Tip: All villas have the view of sunset mountain rage.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear Wikkie89,

Thank you very much for your time in reviewing AKA Guti following your recent stay with us.

I am glad that your stay was very special due to the occasion of course as for your enjoyment of the Resort and Your villa.
It is very flattering when our guests notice our added new touches such as ELLE Spa’s products which we are officially the first resort in Thailand introducing the brand this since December 2013.

I am also happy to see that you found our property and your villa well appointed as for the overall atmosphere of privacy and serenity.
The views are definitely stunning especially at sunset I am very glad you could cease all the natural elements that Guti has to offer.
I will of course communicate your feedbacks and comments to the Team.
Wishing you and your husband an Happy Chinese New Year and all the very best.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Following our stay at the AKA Resorts we treated ourselves to an upgrade at Guti.
An Absolute gem of a place with stunning views, great fresh air surrounded by nature.
Very nice villas, spacious and very well appointed facing amazing sunsets.
The private infinity swimming pool was a real treat with such an open horizon ahead.

The main swimming pool is certainly one of the most impressive pool I have seen as for its length in comparison to the size of the resort it is seriously a WOW !

The overall staff was very nice slightly more professional than in AKA with a better English understanding though improvements are needed in terms of attention to details.

I have to emphasis on the great food that Guti provides from Breakfast lunch and dinner the quality of all the items we have enjoyed was really top notch, the Chef (Yot) if I recall correctly is excellent consistent and always coming out of his kitchen to control the quality of the meals he had prepared.
Both Asian and Western dishes we had during our stay were of the highest quality and very tasty.
We enjoyed having off the menu dishes cooked up from Chef which was brilliant.
The wine selection is very affordable not extensive but enough to enjoy the variety.

To close this review special thanks to the General Manager who manages both properties.
It seemed he was everywhere between both properties morning or evening charming chap determined to bring back the place to what it was and passionate about it.

You want Privacy, Nature, Peace of mind to recharge then this is the place to be and do absolutely nothing.
As one previous review rightly say there is little in physically but for your mind it is all there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Cyrille K, General Manager at GUTI Resort by AKA, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Casastyles,

Thank you for your review on AKA Guti as for your feedbacks and comments
I sincerely appreciate the fact that you took the time to review both our properties in details and described what you felt during your stay with us in AKA and Guti.

Your review will certainly be shared and communicated to the Team. With a special note to Chef.
I am thrilled that Chef and his food was to your satisfaction and enjoyment even though we decided to keep it simple and humble.
This goes for the overall concept of Guti were we want to emphasis on simplicity with quality.
So for the cuisine prepared we are keeping the dishes created basic with a little twist but ensuring that these ingredients keep their true identity.
As for the wine list we will gradually give it some tenure keeping in line to provide good and affordable wines.

I will definitely agree with you in regards of the main swimming pool. It is a real WOW not only for its size but for its location with such an horizon and stunning views.

Through your reviews you have well understood what has always been the initial and original idea for both properties.
I do hope that on your next visit you will see our continuous efforts to improve and that it has been evolving accordingly.

I would like to personally thank you for your kind comments in my regard.

Both AKA Resorts teams are looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.