“Best Honeymoon Experience”

Anantara Hua Hin Resort
Ranked #9 of 141 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Wow, an amazing hotel with incredible staff who all made our honeymoon experience memorable.
On arrival we were very warmly greeted by various members of staff. As we were earlier than check-in, we were offered some drinks and cold towels which were very welcome in the hot and humid climate.

Daniel, one of the EA managers came to greet us as we had been conversing on email a few weeks before about some special experiences we wanted to do during our stay. He and Alex the Experience Manager helped us to choose our tailor made day of romance.

- Lazy morning private breakfast in our room
- Spice Spoons, Thai culinary Journey. A signature experience offered by Anantara Hua Hin. This is a day where you are escorted to the market with the Thai Chef, where you experience firsthand the market “through a chef’s eyes” as well as some other Thai experiences. Then its off to pay merit at a local temple, before coming back to the hotel to start our Thai culinary journey. The experience finishes with cocktails and then lunch in the gardens.
- Then its onto the evening where we had a private dinner for 2 on the beach, including candlelight, a tailor made menu and as much alcohol as you wanted, all served to you by your personal butler.

We split our experiences across 3 days so that we could generally eat more! We had great fun during our morning with Chef and he helped us barter at the market! We made Thai fish cakes, tom yum soup and masaman curry, eating after cooking each course. You are given a goody bag and recipe cards to take home too so that you can recreate the dishes!
The candlelit dinner was amazing and it was great chatting to our butler and finding out about all the cultural differences. We also met the chef, had a private serenade and did a blessing by the poll at the end of our meal. A great way to start our married life.

Location is 3 hour drive from Bangkok and whilst the hotel is on the beach, there is a surcharge on the shuttle bus into town which is 10 minutes away. We did have a couple of incidents when the shuttle bus didn't arrive (but the driver said he was there) but we just got taxis or tuk tuks back instead. The only other small gripe would be that some more complimentary bottled water or some water machines would have been appreciated. Otherwise everything you need is available on-site including the numerous restaurants which are also great.

The staff are very accommodating, friendly and nothing is too much. We would highly recommend this hotel :D

Room Tip: We were offered a small upgrade from a ground floor room to a first floor one. There are small liza...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MichelleCLymm
Daniel S, Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear MichelleCLymm

Warm greetings from Anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa.

It is great to hear from you, and the team here at the hotel thank you for taking the time to write such fantastic comments about your experience on Trip Advisor.

Spice Spoons is a really popular activity within the hotel, and we are very pleased to recieve such great feedback on your experience. Chef Prajak takes great pride in his delivery of the Spice Spoons experience, and he will be pleased with your comments.

We are extremely pleased that we were able to deliver the experience you were looking for, and that you take home fond memories of your honeymoon here in Hua Hin.

MichelleCLymm, it was a great pleasure to have you and your husband stay with us, thank you once again for staying with Anantara Hua Hin, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Anantara Hua Hin Resort

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Last week I had a short visit my friend in Hua Hin. I chose Anantara Hua Hin to stay for this time. Just for one night. I booked a deluxe garden view but I got upgrade to lagoon room. Lucky me & Lovely! The room is very clean, nicely decorated and very spacious. Walking around the hotel, there are the gardens go all the way to the beach. That makes me feel so relaxed.
Before dinner time, I had a huge mojito at Sala Siam which is great. Then, I decided to have dinner at the Italian Restaurant of the Hotel which is called "Bann Thalia". I had Risotto Tom Yum Goong and Chocolate lava serve with pistachio ice cream for my dinner. They both are DIVINE! I'm lovin' it! Truly, I never thought that the food in the hotel would be this awesome. That's unexpected! I'll come back and try the rest of menu!
After that, I came back to Sala Siam again for a couple of drinks. I had ginger and basin margarita & passionate don. They both are awesome. That completed my wonderful dinner.

I'll definitely come back again! ;-)

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Pinky_Playboy

Dear Pinky_Playboy

Warm greetings from Anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa.

First of all, thank you for writing such a fantastic review on Trip Advisor about your experience in our hotel.

We take great pride in our outlets, and a very pleased that ypou managed to experience quite a few of the signature experiences the hotel and Anantara Resorts provide, including our signature Tom Yam Goong Rissotto.

We will take your comments back to the team, and they will take great confidence in your experience with us.

Pinky_Playboy, thank you once agian for staying with us here at Anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa, we certainly hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I've been to a couple of Anantara hotels here in Thailand, starting with the Anantara Riverside in Bangkok (the old Marriott Riverside). Their model, common in Thailand, is to pick up an existing property and re-make it in their brand image a bit. The Hua Hin used to be the Garden Village Hua Hin and the grounds really are green, serene and pretty.

The staff who greet you and the restaurant, hospitality and grounds staff are all very helpful and friendly - including Alex, the parrot that they trot out for breakfast. From check in to check out anything you needed was attended to. I'm a bit of an independent traveler and didn't need much, but found them still to be more than friendly and always happy to point things out.

When it comes to the facilities and rooms, it's clear they've done some work upgrading things, but in keeping with what seems to be Anantara's style, they do cut a few corners here and there. That's surely a corporate decision, so it's nothing to be held against the local management and staff.

The rooms were plenty nice enough, though it's clear the tubs, for example, had been built some time ago when local construction crews weren't sure what a tub should be - they're huge, but not at all comfortable. As well, the mattresses, at least in the seaview non-suite rooms are obviously local mattresses designed to accommodate local tastes. I deal with a lot of foreign visitors and the thing almost every Thai-run hotel cheaps out on that it shouldn't is the mattress. It's the single most common complaint once you get past the budget traveler crowd - and it's a legit complaint. I'm used to it, so it doesn't bother me, but for the rates the hotel charges they really should offer international grade mattresses.

The rest of the aspects of the room had that mix of older construction with newer detailing that I actually like in a Thai hotel. Older construction in Thailand was thicker, sturdier and used more wood, while modern places tend to go with cheaper carpets and thinner metal frames and things. That lead to a problem with the tub, but the screens and floors and doors and things were all very sturdy and well taken care of. You didn't see any cracking or things inside these rooms, they've stood the test of time well and they insulate quite well. The view, too, from the seaside room was beautiful.

The restaurants were all pretty and furnished attractively, though the main lobby bar seems to mostly be an empty afterthought. Barely saw any people in there, let alone staff. Otherwise, all the other bars and restaurants were well-staffed and attentive. The furnishings particularly in the two white colored restaurants/bars were well done and comfortable.

Aside from the complementary breakfast, I didn't eat in the hotel (why would you ever eat in a hotel unless it's a famous hotel restaurant?), so I can't speak to the other food, but the breakfast was decent. I tend to avoid hotel breakfasts, but was up early and thought, "Why not?" The make to order omelettes and french toasts and things were good and a couple of the buffet style foreign and Thai dishes were okay, though mostly kind of lackluster. There's not much you can do for a mixed breakfast crowd, you have to dumb down 80% of everything so it fits with 80% of palates - this is why I avoid complementary breakfasts. They had clearly cut corners on the emmental, mozarella and edam cheese and the cold cuts were basically locally mass-produced hams and things (if you live here you'll know the difference from imports or high-end domestic), but they did their best to present it all attractively. All in all, I think most tourists who love complimentary breakfasts would really enjoy it and think it was great - and it is a very pretty setting. On the other hand, I live here and end up stuck at a lot of hotel buffets and they could frankly do better - especially on the Thai Food. Though since there's barely any real Thai breakfast food, you're sort of stuck trying to make a menu once you get past jok and khao thom. They did, at least, pass the "ham floating in water" test - didn't see any - and the bacon and some of the other international commodities were top notch. The "sausages" were clearly for local consumption and shouldn't be served to an international clientele except from 01:00 - 04:00 AM at a 7-11.

This is where we get to a bit of a distinction, though. The Anantara Hua Hin is probably the most popular Anantara for Thai people to visit and it's likely that a lot of things are done for domestic consumption, which requires a bit of a different angle than international. The same could be said for the location. You're not horribly far from town and there is a shuttle, but you're clearly quite a ways and unless you're familiar with navigating Thailand, the immediately surrounding areas aren't going to be very accessible - nor is the fact that there's a 10-15 Baht sawngtaew that runs past the front gate into town from early until late (no need to wait/pay for a shuttle). You're around Hua Hin Street 7 and the center of town starts around Hua Hin soi 53, which is about a 10 minute ride by sawngtaew/shuttle or about a 30 minute walk, if you're into walking.

As some Thai friends we talked to pointed out, this doesn't really matter if you're a local tourist, because you've either been driven there, have arrived as part of a tour or you know how to get around on your own. Makes good sense, really, but if you're coming to stay in and see Hua Hin, it's nice to be closer to town. Of course if you just want a relaxing beach vacation in a nice setting with some pretty pools and gardens and things, with a trip here and there to town, it's not a major hassle. They are technically in Hua Hin, so you can't argue that.

The beach is the beach in Hua Hin. No one comes the Cha Am - Hua Hin - Kuiburi strip for the beautiful beaches. That said, it's not a horrible beach, just a kind of murky Gulf of Thailand beach - it doesn't get much better anywhere in that area, so you can't fault the hotel. And it's plenty pretty enough as background scenery. You can swim if you feel like walking the 100m out into the water that it takes to get off the sandbar, heh.

The hotel provides the usual towels, chairs, umbrellas and sandals that you'll need and they're scattered around the various pools and the seawall in front of the beach. A special shout out to the lotus pond pool, hidden closer to the main entrance drive by the executive suites - that's a legitimately very pretty pool and it's quite relaxing as they keep the families in check in that area.

In closing, I wanted to list some of the things I found really nice about the place:

- Our introduction by the very nice man who showed us to our room. I cannot recall his name at the moment, but he gave maybe the first hotel introduction I've ever sat all the way through. It was sort of like those rare times when you have a flight attendant with a lot of personality and a sense of humor and you feel like clapping. I never thought I'd praise this aspect of a hotel, but he got the visit off to a very pleasant start and deserves commendation.

- While you could see the age and chipping on the facades of the walls here and there, the grounds themselves were very pretty and very well-maintained. I talked with a couple of the gardeners who were walking around as they created some very interesting arrangements on palm trees and things. Scattered all around are little hutches and salas and benches hidden next to out of the way ponds and things. I think Thai guests in particular will appreciate the many photo opportunities that abound.

- The lotus pond pool area was really beautiful and you should take some time to relax there and have a drink or two from the bar. It's worth it.

- If you want to get out nearby without going into town - like you want to get some real local food, buy something at 7-11 or what have you - head down Hua Hin Soi 6, opposite the hotel. Just walk/jog across the big 6-8 lane highway when you can and take a left. Turn right at the big white sala with the Hua Hin Soi 6 sign and start walking. Between the main road and the railroad tracks are a bunch of local bars, restaurants and shops where you can get some excellent duck noodles, tham sang food and have a beer with some regular Thai folks if you like. Very friendly people. As well, if you like trail running, tell the moto stand driver to take you to "Wat Samo Prong" and then just start running down the dirt roads and trails (ignore barbed wire - just squeeze through and keep running!) until you get back to Soi 6. There's a decent daily run to be had up there.

So, to wrap it all up, the hotel is very pretty and has some really nice looking settings and restaurants/bars to spend time in. The beach isn't beautiful, but that's the norm for Hua Hin, and it's fine to go swimming and floating in, or running on. The staff are great from start to finish. The rooms are good, but could stand an overhaul on mattresses and tubs. The breakfast buffet isn't really up to international standards, but they put on a good show - can't speak for the other food. The location is far from everything, requiring a lot of transportation to get to here and there, but the neighborhood just across from the hotel is actually pretty damn lively and interesting for a newly built area.

If you're going, you'll probably enjoy your stay, but for the money you could be provided a bit more international grade experience.

Room Tip: Get something with a sea view if possible. Beyond that, I dunno. I assume the suites, like with most...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KevinMcGaffey

Dear KevinMcGaffey

Warmest greetings from anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa.

Wow, thank you for such a comprehensive and detailed review of the resort. We all certainly appreciate the time taking to write on trip advisor.

I have noted a few of your coments regarding the breakfast food, in particular the Thai food and the sausages among other and we will be takimng this back to the chef and the rest of the team for continuous improvement.

Some of the other comments will be addressed with our refurbishment plans in the near future, however, we are very pleased that our welcome was a highlight of your experience.

we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and certainly hope to be able to welcome you back to Anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa in the near future.

Executoive Assistant Manager

Reviewed July 6, 2014

We are staying at this hotel at the moment, We are here for two weeks, this is our 11 th day, we can only praise this hotel, The staff are excellent, friendly helpful, nothing is too much trouble for them, We where upgraded in our second week, due to some work being carried out, it was no trouble, the staff could not do enough to help us, Although the first room was lovely and we where happy there, the bathroom could have done with being bigger and needed upgrading but the shower was brilliant. Overall a great place to stay, so peaceful, just what we needed. Stress free.

Room Tip: The lagoon rooms are beautiful but I would not pay to stay in them because the pool is poor and I wo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank amk014

Dear amk014

Greetings from the team here at Anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa

We have to say, what a great pleasure it was to have you stay with us here at the resort and we hope you arrived home with fond memories of the resort and staff.

Thank you for writing such wonderful comments on your stay with us, while you were at the resort, the team take great confidence in your comments and the connection they are making with our guests.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding the noise from the noise for our nearby room. The team were very concerned at first, and are very happy to have solved the issue to your satisfaction.

amk014, thank you once again for staying with us at Anantara Huia Hin resort and Spa, we look forward to welcoming you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

This is a wonderful hotel, lovely decor, not too big and they have the nicest staff. The hotel Manager was so kind and helpful, always going the extra mile to make sure we were happy.

I can't recommend this hotel more. It has to be the best in Hua Hin.

I hope to return soon.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank VW-FSK
Daniel S, Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear VW-FSK

Warmest greetings from the team at Anantara Hua Hin.

Thank you for taking the time to write such wonderful comments on your recent experience with us.

The team will take great confidence in your comments regarding the service and associates you encountered during your stay.

VW-FSK, once again thank you for staying with us here at Anantara Hua Hin Resrt and Spa, we certainly hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Stayed there for holiday with family, upgraded to deluxe room where you can enjoy private pool & bar. The overall environment of the hotel was great, very quiet and relax. Breakfast was really good, room was nice and got good decoration. Love the bathroom very much. The main pool was a bit crowded while we're there, but the private pool was excellent! And they have a very beautiful lotus pond as well. One thing is the pool was facing the sun directly so it is quite hot.
Pros:
- good environment for couple, family
- nice breakfast
- lots of activities

Room Tip: get the deluxe room
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Daniel S, Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear Sakon_m

Warmest Greesting from Anantara Hua Hin Resort and Spa.

What a great review, thank you for taking the time to write such refreshing comments on Trip Advisor.

The team will be thrilled to hear you comments on the ground, breakfast, activities and the bathroom in our deluxe rooms, they will take great confidence from this.

Sakon_m, thank you once again for staying with us, we certainly hope to welcome you back to Anantara Hua Hin in the near future.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

Wonderful location. Staff were great. The breakfast spread was excellent. The swimming pool very clean and the bar at the pool was always manned and prices were affordable.

Very tropical like surroundings with lush green lawns and well groomed trees. Easy access to the beach. Private beach and very clean. One can rent a canoe as well.

A wonderful place to just relax. Very quiet. Car park manned by security and safe.

Will be back for sure!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Dear ChrisF

Warmest greetingt from the teram here at anantara Hua Hin resort and Spa.

Thank you for taking the time to write such pleasant comments on your experience with us on trip advisor.

We are all very pleased that you found the hotel relaxing and a haven away from Bangkok. Certainly the gardeners take great pride in maintaining the gardens and I will pass on your comments as well as those on breakfast and the restaurants.

The team will take great confidence from your comments and we hope to welcome you back very soon.