“beware poor service”

Anantara Hua Hin Resort
Ranked #10 of 144 Hotels in Hua Hin
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Have just returned, and was very disappointed after reading all the previous reviews. The hotel is in an excellent location, ten mins away by car from the hustle and bustle of hua hin which we enjoyed. The hotel itself is beautiful and very well kept as are the rooms it is however geared for corporate events as the staff have no idea how to provide a personal service to foreign guests unless you book a lagoon room. We arrived at nine in the morning and were not allocated a room till one which I will admit did not get us off to a good start. Whilst waiting in a very hot reception area lagoon guests were shown to their room and offered to use the breakfast facilities, we however were told we couldn't as we hadn't paid for it. All we wanted was a cup of coffee and some water but we couldn't have it as there was no room number to allocate the charge to. We asked to upgrade but they were fully booked. Once in the room we had no complaints, lots of room and a bed to die for. Breakfast the following morning was chaos, if you are very lucky you will be escorted to a table which will then be cleared of previous plates and you can then help yourself to a good selection of food. If however you managed to buy yourself an invisibility cloak in duty free on the way out good luck with obtaining a table, someone to clear it and then getting some one to pour you coffee or tea. Staff excel at avoiding eye contact unless you are part of a wedding party, thai or if you tip them. Did meet with asra who is part of the management to express our concerns as I felt it was fare to provide feed back face to face before reviewing on tripadvisor. He was receptive to our comments and breakfast the following day was great, lots of tables available and cleared of dirty plates actually only took twenty minutes rather than the usual fifty mins of faffing. Normal service resumed for the rest of the holiday though. We did receive a fruit platter and a bottle of wine along with a letter of apology from Caroline Mendes the guest relations manage which was nice however I would not recommend this hotel as the prices they charge is not reflected in the service you receive.

Room Tip: Garden deluxe was lovely however any room appeared to have a nice view
3  Thank grumpyLeicester
Naowarat A, General Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear GrumpyLeicester,

Thank you for sharing with us the experienced of your stay!

I am sorry to hear your discomfort upon arrival, as this is not the service standard we strive to obtain, I have done some investigation and would like to explain the situation, you arrived to the hotel around 9 am on the day that we were fully booked the night before as it is long weekend, our check out time for all guests are at 12 pm and the check in time for the incoming guest is at 2 pm as this is to allow our team to clean the room properly. However, if we happen to have some guest check out early and we can allocate the room for the new coming guest we would definitely very please to do so. Our Front Desk staff has serve you with welcome drink and advise you to walk around the resort or relax in the lobby as we have day bed as well the fan to cooling the high temporature. I have been informed that as soon as we have guest check out and room become available, Housekeeping get into the room and get it ready and you got the room at 1 pm. I understand the frustration of having to wait for the room after a long journey, however, I would like to inform that we have done our utmost to get the room for you as fast as we can. Please accept our apologies if the service during waiting was not as good as it should be and I have already share with the team to ensure they constantly check with the guest while waiting if guest need further assistance to ensure that they are comfortable.

I am sorry to read about your dissatisfaction for the service in breakfast area on the first day, please accept my apologies that we have let you feel that we cann't take a good care of an individual guest and only want to take care of a group. Once again, this is definitely not a service standard that we strive to obtain, we give the same value of every guest. Thank you for bringing that to our Duty Manager, as soon as we received your comment we then right away share with our Food and Beverage team and ensure that we get our service improve immediately which you also noticed.

Thank you for your special mentioned that Caroline has sent a fruit platter and a bottle of wine, we understand the shortfall in service of breakfast and would like to show you that we care and thankful for your comment.

I would like to thank you again for the honest feedback, please do not hesitate to contact me anytime if I can be further assistance.

With kind regards,

Naowarat Arunkong

Write a ReviewReviews (2,698)

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just spent 14 days at the Anantara. The staff could not be more helpful or friendly. The grounds are well looked after and the rooms are well appointed. We found breakfast catered for all tastes and was presented well and kept fresh. The pool and beach were tended by the staff and there is no shortage of. towels or sun beds. The only downside was that the onsite restuarants were too expensive to eat and drink in in the evenings so we found it much cheaper to go into town where meals in waterfront restaurants were about a quarter of the hotel prices

Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank 281ianc

Dear ian c,

Thank you for sharing with us comment of your stay and for choosing Anantara Hua Hin for your holiday.

I appreciated to read your positive comment towards our staff and service. As for the price of restaurant, I would like ot inform you that the hotel pricing are normally set higher than outside due to the requirement of hygine and cleanliness as well the cost of training for our staff. We are here to provide a high standard of service for our guest where all these comes with a little higher price.

We hope to see you again in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact personally if I can be further assistance.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at Anantra Spa Beach resort for 14 days expensive to eat there in my opinion hotel guests were secondary to functions which were held nearly every night plus two weddings Staff excellent especially Spa manager . breakfast was good not always enough european choices catered more for Chinese palate. Rooms clean and cleaning staff excellent .bathrooms very small and dimly lit certainly not 5 star . Had room on ground floor alright if upstairs were not too noisy . Needs an update and had to ask for waste bins to be emptied on beach

Room Tip: Ask to see room before accepting key some very overgrown with shrubs and would be very dark lagoon r...
1  Thank seasonedtraveller88

Dear seasonedtraveller88,

Thank you for sharing with us the experienced of your stay and for choosing Anantara Hua Hin for your holiday!

I am sorry to make you feel that the hotel guest were secondary to function, we actually have the separate venue for function in our lawn and still leave all restaurant available for hotel guest every night. There is joining buffet breakfast every morning where we providing several cold/hot dishes which separate into Thai and international sections.

Thank you for your special comment of Spa Manager and cleaning staff and I have share your comment amongst the team to ensure that we continue providing good service in the future.

We are looking forward for your return, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be further assistance.

With kind regads,

Reviewed March 5, 2013

It was a two-night trip before my wedding at the end of the year 2012 with my husband. I was impressed by the first glance of the resort's surrounding once I get into the area. It was like a jungle in the middle of the city of Huahin.

The bell boys and the front desk agents gave us a warm welcome with their special purple drink made of the butterfly pea extract mixed with lemon juice, very refreshing from a long trip.

The room wasn't ready by the time we were there at 11 am. But that's not a problem for us since the atmosphere is quite enjoyable and it took us less than 15 minutes waiting for the room.

The first impression with the guest room was that it's very cozy with Thai style decoration, spacious bathroom and great amenities. For those of you who like Thai fruits, they are waiting for you at the working desk ;-) on the other end of the room we had a glass door which can open to the garden the pool and the beach. The bed and pillows are PERFECTly comfortable. In addition, I love that the resort has a lot of trees, very serene. I will definitely go back to Anantara Resort and Spa Huahin again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Som_Wanitcha

Dear Khun Som_Wanitcha,

Thank you for sharing with us the experienced of your stay and for choosing Anantara Hua Hin for your getaway break.

I am glad to read that your stay was a succesful one and our service and products have met to your expectations. Your satisfaction is our utmost importance. I have share your comment with the team and I can assured you that your comment has help us to motivate our team to continue providing good service to our guest.

We hope to see you again in the near future, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be further assistance.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here for 5 weeks from 9th Jan until 13th February. Unfortunately, there is a training school for Helicopter Pilots less than half a mile from the hotel and lots of light aircraft flying around all day long, nearly every day from 7am, often until 8pm. They fly so low and go around the hotel every 20 minutes. A couple of private jets use this ocassionally too.
The shuttle to town which is £1 each, doesn't start 'til 2pm and finishes at 10pm so we had to use taxi's @ £150 to come and go. Also, sometimes the shuttle was full it's too early.
The hotel is 5kms from town, impossible to walk to town as there are no pavements and motor cycles are allowed to drive on the wrong side of this dual carriageway, so there is traffic behind and in front, and a very high volume of traffic.
We were told there was a 5 mile beach and there is, except in winter. It was nearly the end of Feb before we could walk on it and that wasn't every day. I believe it's March before summer tides begin. Also, there were a lot of Corporate Events, some exceptionally noisy.
The food in this hotel is lovely, but very pricey and drinks are ridiculous, especially beers. We could buy a large beer in a restaurant for about 60 - 80 Bhat in the hotel it was 260B for a small one. We thought the high prices of food and drink made people leave for town, because even including bus and taxi fares and eating in good quality restaurants, it was at least half price the hotel and in many cases less than that. Once or twice we ate in,and invariably we were on our own, not what's wanted on holiday. There is a little band playing until about 10pm almost every night but there is often no one there. If the drinks were half the price they are, and the food, a lot of people wouldn't go into town, it's buzzing there, not to everyone's taste.
We can't say enough about the beauty of this hotel grounds and pool and the Lagoon area is fairy tale stuff. The staff are fantastic without exception including the gardners, we never came across such helpful, happy people in all our travels, and the management work hard to please. They even lay on a cocktail party every Friday evening from 6 - 7 when all the heads of departments are there to hear what you think of the hotel etc.,
However, the rooms are tired now and I was told a programme of refurbishment is due to start soon. I am sure this will include the pool and beach side beds and umbrellas too.
Such a pity about the airport.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on upper floor have often windows and balconly making them brighter. Lagoon area neare...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rena B

Dear Rena B,

Thank you for sharing the comment of your stay with TripAdvisor community and for choosing Anantara Hua Hin for your holiday.

I think we have met many times while you were in the resort by the pool and at the cocktail event every Friday that you joined. I would like to inform about the current situation of aircraft, as soon as we noticed about this training we immediately contact the Hua Hin aircraft division to inform them about the disturbance of the noise and even though it has take sometimes to reroute from the hotel to a north side but currently this problem has been solved.

As for the price for the shuttle, please be noted that this is very reasonable price and it is normal and the same practice that traveling out of hotel guest need to either pay for a shuttle or a taxi. As for food and beverage price, I would like to inform that hotel price is normally set higher than outside restaurant as we have set higher standard of cleanliness and hygine as well higher training cost for staff. Guest expect to get a higher standard of service in the hotel and all come with little higher price.

Thank you for your special comment about hotel ground and hotel staff, your positive comment is definitely helping us to motivate our team to continue providing a good service to all guests.

We wish you all the best, please do not hesitate to contact me personally if I can be further assistance in the future.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Just returned from Thailand and stayed at the Anantara resort. When we first arrived we were put in a Sea View Room but unfortunately we had a partial view of the beach and when we did go out onto the balcony it was covered with leaves and dust that we really could not sit and lounge. The room although comfortable looked tired and needed renovation. The shower was over the bath and that was blocked so the dirty water would gather around the ankles. The staff were quite obliging and sent maintenance over to fix the problem. The next day we decided to move and upgrade (at our own expense) to the Lagoon rooms which in our opinion were excellent with added bonuses.
The breakfast was very good and varied. The other restaurants for lunch and dinner were good a bit over priced to Thai standards.
There are two pools. One of which is exclusive to Lagoon guests. The beach was lovely.
There is WIFI in the rooms.
Front of house staff were excellent especially Phon who took time to listen to our complaints.
Despite the bumpy start we had an excellent stay at the Anantara and we will return.

Room Tip: Lagoon Rooms
1  Thank Belquis

Dear Belquis,

Thank you for sharing with us the experienced of your stay and for choosing Anantara Hua Hin for your holiday.

I appreciate you sharing with us the honest feedback of your sea view room, we immediately went into the room and get the problem fixed by trimming the trees to avoid amount of leaves falling down. I am glad to hear that you like our lagoon room, I actually met you at the Management cocktail and happy to hear that you found that the hotel ground and lagoon area is beautiful.

Thank you for your special comment about Khun Phon - she is our high value asset. We will continue working hard in training so that we have more staff and management who can give the same level of service passion as Khun Phon.

We hope to see you again in one of Anantara in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me anytime if I can be further assistance.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The gardens are lovely and the beach front situation is really nice, but the rooms are old, in need of an update, and do not represent good value. We paid for an upgrade to a lagoon room which had a number of extras including its own pool area and bar. Lovely, although a number of sun loungers around the pool were broken. It's all very attractive here, but things are not as good as they should be given the price being charged.

The staff are lovely and work very hard but the actual service provided was hardly 3*. Breakfast in the Lagoon rooms restaurant was chaotic and what arrived was rarely what was ordered, a broken door took days to fix, lights fused, toiletries were not replaced and had to be asked for at reception. My wife's luch arrived 15 minutes before mine at the beach restaurant and the drinks were wrong. These are just some of the issues encountered.

Food and drink can be expensive so we often ate at another hotel just 100 yards down the beach and had lovely Thai food at a good price or caught the shuttle bus into town.

Overall we enjoyed the holiday but at a significant cost and sometimes poor service.

1  Thank abcjx
Naowarat A, General Manager at Anantara Hua Hin Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Dear abcjx,

Thank you for taken some of your valuable time post a review of your stay and for choosing Anantara Hua Hin for your holiday!

I am sorry to read that we did not meet up to your expectations and we have lacking in many area, thank you for sharing with us your finding and I have shared this amongst the leadership team and we have formed the action plan to inprove each area. I am sorry that we have no chance to meet while you were here with us otherwise I would love to learn more about your dissatisfaction in some service area that we are lacking so that I can get to the right direction to serve individual needs.

I am happy to hear that in overall you still enjoye your stay, we hope to see you back again and to see a remarkable improvement in service and products. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be further assistance.

Sincerely yous,