“the haven of life”
Review of Chiva-Som

Chiva-Som
Ranked #6 of 236 Specialty Lodging in Hua Hin
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We have now been to Chiva Som 6 times.It is exclusive and expensive,but l do not believe there is anywhere else in the world that matches its blend of holistic treatments,wide range of guest fitness and Wellbeing programmes that run all day,the sensational healthy food.On top of this you have a wide range of world class,guest consultants and the friendliest and efficient employees l have ever met,they all seem to be part of a family.This is an oasis of calm and you leave relaxed,lighter and with significantly lower blood pressure.As l said this is not cheap,but l am not sure it is appropriate to put a price on this kind of experience.It is not an hotel in the true sense of the word,but a private health Spa.If you want the experience of your life-just go.No children or mobile phones!

Room Tip: all the rooms are excellent,but it is better to stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sdmb51

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Having heard so many great reviews from friends I wanted to try a few days at Chiva Som to relax and detox. Overall I think it's a great place, but you do pay for the experience.

Upon arriving you have a consultation where you plan your sessions/treatments for the duration of the stay. The best thing about Chiva Som is the variety of things you can do in one place without ever leaving the resort. It's like a wellness buffet! On my first full day I did gym training, super stretch, fitness analysis, skin analysis, meditation, swimming, walking on beach and massage. There really is every kind of spa treatment and fitness option here possible.

The food was fantastic, very healthy and with 2 restaurants (Thai and Western) there was plenty of variety. You could see the calorific content of everything which was useful. Many products used were organic and it really gets you into healthy eating.

The service was good but not great. The only downside is the price. It's definitely a great place but you do pay a premium for the experience.

Overall well worth a trip if you can afford it

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank TravelWell19
Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on the 5 night option (shortest) and it was ideal for us. We had fabulous help organising our transfer from Bangkok, and both trips worked without a hitch. The property is wonderful, and with a clear emphasis on privacy, healthy living and weight loss. However don't go with pre conceptions, you can eat and drink as much as you want! There is a full on physical assessment and discussions about goals etc. and focus on a programme to achieve these, or at least move towards them. Like most things you get out what you put in. I particularly enjoyed the massages and my personal favourite was the Chiva Som signature massage. I got to enjoy new experiences (massages of different types; stretching classes etc.) and came away with clear ideas as to things I can do to improve my personal well being.
They don't let you use mobiles or other electronic devices, driven by privacy considerations and not wanting people snapping away a guests. This is commendable but, in the modern world, being told off for using your kindle or iPod is a fine line. Make sure you take a proper book!
There are two restaurant options - International and Thai. Not surprisingly we found the Thai option way superior. Servings are, in keeping with the health kick thing, modest but sufficient and they'll happily give you more.
It is worth mentioning that the staff, from the person who registered us, to the fitness trainers, waiting staff etc. were absolutely wonderful. Nothing was too much trouble and they were proactively looking to help and add to your enjoyment.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that has a view over the pool and is close to the spa reception. This should b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ian S
Reviewed July 17, 2013

服務並不如想像中的好,也不那麼讓人自在放鬆;
很多療程都沒有做介紹,只單憑小冊子上的簡介和價目讓人挑選,真的做了才發現不是這麼一回事!
長像好看的接待員---門口的,SPA 櫃台的---在客人面堆出客意的笑容,轉過身或低下頭卻是不高興的臉.有問題詢問她們,也總是不太有耐心.
Consultation 蠻粗糙的,身體分析及建議並不專業. 提供的常識,google 可以找到更多!
房間小,浴室小,濕氣重且蚊子多!
食物有標示卡路里很棒,但同樣的菜單吃了幾天就容易膩.蒼蠅在用餐時飛來飛去和人一起共享食物!
這並不是一個物有所值的地方!
The service of the receptor girl, SPA booking girls, and waiters and waitress were surprising.
They smiled "not" sincerely! Why I say that? Whenever you asked a question or for help, you see they "smiled" in front of you; indeed, they wrinkled their face when they turned back! Why I knew that? Because my friend saw on the opposite side several times.
They treated some people quite gently, those who retruned back for more than once.
But if you're guys only spending the minimum required days, you're probably not deserve their "nice " treat...I guess.
The body composition was so routinely a consultant. A girl asked you to take off clothes and let you bend down forward, backward, left and right-ward. Then you were told "nothing special but your angle of lower back is too big, you would have lower back when you're old"---
I really don't understand what is the meaning or her English.
Someone got allergic during the treatment, they just give some emulsion. They didn't ask the guest if getting better later. This kind is good service ?! I really don't understand !
Only the strengths is their arrangement of daytime activity including stretch, pilates, yoga, and other aerobics exercise. However, if you stayed less than one week, some kinds of classes are then not available, due to the class only one time a week.
As for more than 600~700 USD per-night, tt really is not worth the price it charged!

3  Thank JofenaSanFrancisco
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had spent a few weeks researching a health resort to go to to de-stress and improve my health. Basically I wanted to find the best place, anywhere in the world. Chiva Som came up in the 'top 5' time and again in various travel site reviews. And finally, some friends of friends recommended it as they had been going there every year for some time.

So my explanations of what it would be like were extremely high. I was expecting it to be the best of the best.

What I found was that it exceeded my expectations in every way.

But before I go on, first let me point out that this is not a hotel or a holiday resort. It's a health spa, specifically for people who want to go to a health spa for the specific reasons relating to their health. You can't judge such a place in relation to a normal hotel, it is a completely different category.

The Chiva Som resort is side by side with other beachside hotels in Hua Hin, but you would never know it. The layout of the buildings and the high stone walls make you feel completely separate from the outside world, and there is no noise other than the soft sound of the waves on the beach.

From the moment I arrived it was clear I was in the hands of exceptionally well trained staff. I was greeted by a pleasant young lady who showed me the grounds and facilities on the way to my room.

Everything in the resort is maintained to the highest standard, and all the facilities and equipment are first rate. The general staff are very friendly and helpful, and the health care staff impress as being expert in their field. So too do the trainers seem to be picked from amongst the best in the world.

Even though there were 60 other guests there at the same time I was, I would rarely see more that 3-4 other people, except at meal times.

The food was fantastic, super fresh, of the highest quality and expertly prepared.

At the start of the visit there is a consultation where they determine what you want to achieve from the stay. Based on that, the adviser works out a schedule to meed those objectives. In this also were my expectations exceeded. I left the resort after 10 days feeling relaxed, healthier, lost 5kg and reduced my blood pressure.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank 922Steve
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Fantastic property, rejuvenating for the body and mind. The food is great, ambience superb. They have some great program's during the day, it is like heaven on earth. A must visit if you really want to try some of the best things the world has to offer. The staff are great and very friendly. I just love the place and all the people I have recommended love it too. A great spa, the place is by the sea. It has all positives in it.

Room Tip: If you are willing to splurge a little more stay in the Thai pavilion rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AshishV1963
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Went there from May 12 - May 16 2013 to celebrate my husband's birthday. My husband had a nice time but I did not and will never return again. This was supposed to be a relaxing holiday but it was not. I did not like the fact that you have to choose from a package. There is an ala carte pkge but they do not advertise this and you do not get as much value for your money if you choose this option.

Everything operated like an assembly line. When you get a massage, they give you no time to relax afterwards because the next person is waiting. And, if you have two treatments scheduled right after each other i.e. a Thai hand massage and a full body massage, you have to change room for each treatment.

Attention to detail is lacking for a 5 star resort. When I met with my "advisor", I emphasized that I wanted a lymphatic massage that focused on my sinuses b/c I felt congested. Instead, she booked me for a full body lymphatic massage where the therapist promptly told me she could not do my face b/c it was not included.

I had a body composition and the genetleman doing it entered my height in incorrectly so it skewed all of the results. I have written to them to ask them correct this.

The only positives - the environment is relaxing, rooms are nothing to write home about though, food is excellent and they give you the calorie content of everything you eat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple