The minute you arrive at Chiva Som by private car you feel that you have left the noisy and crowded life of BKK behind (admittedly it is a 2 1/2 hour drive) for good. The unassuming entrance looks more like a private estate / complex than a 5 star luxe spa hotel. The receptionist greets you with the typical Thai smile, then a cooling off (literally by cold fragrant towels) before a warm reception and a tour of the complex by a golf cart, which takes us to our hotel room. Most villas are dotted amongst lush gardens and small lakes, but the main hotel complex is a three storey building housing about 24 rooms. All comfortable with views of the main pool and the sea. The meals are carefully prepared to suit our dietary requirements, but it is not a starve-yourself diet. If I want a steak or a plate of sushi I can have it. But if I opt for a cleansing diet the dietician would devise a special menu for me, ranging from 3 to 7 days. One lady wanted to get rid of her alcoholic addiction so she had a 2-week cleansing diet comprised of soup and other vegetarian dishes. Not for me, but her complexion looked great after one week. My 10-night stay was more for relaxation than for a kind of 'purging' regime. Still, the basic diet of no salt, no sugar and no caffeine works very well. I break this boredom only in the morning when I do need a cup of coffee. Then, amazingly I don't crave it anymore. initially no salt was a problem, but then one gets used to it. There is plenty of taste in vegetables and fruits! There is a vegetarian restaurant near the main pool deck. It is for lunch and I love the simple taste and lightweight salads and fruits in the heat of the day. Occasionally I would walk up the stairs to the 'formal' restaurant, which serves 'proper' food - steamed chicken breast with ginger and lemon grass, grilled lamb chop, grilled local fish or a plate of prawns with mango and rice...the choice is endless, and ALL VERY HEALTHY. The daily massage is a treat. In addition, one can go to the gym, do yoga, aqua aerobics or simply sunbathe in the open near the pool, amongst lush trees and bushes. The staff near the pool are very attentive - always ready with a cold bottle of water and a cool towel. The loungers are soft and comfy, the air clean and full of the ripe frangipani. The hotel's policy of no camera, cell phone or computer in the public area is welcome because one does not want to be stressed by other hotel guests talking in public or checking emails when one should be relaxing. Our stay was so healthy we both lost 2 kgs. Our waistline also decreased by about 10%. Our departure was sad because we knew we had to deal with the hustle and bustle of city life again...but we will always return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Chiva-Som is a luxury health resort, combining international standards with Thai hospitality to deliver personal wellness programmes in a non regimented way. Everything we do focuses on a holistic approach to health that incorporates mind, body and spirit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and TripOnline SA so you can book your Chiva-Som reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chiva-Som Hotel Hua Hin
- Chiva Som Luxury Health Hotel
- Chiva Som Luxury Health Resort