“Wonderful cause - great people!”
Review of The Family Tree

The Family Tree
Ranked #3 of 33 Shopping in Hua Hin
More attraction details
Owner description: The Family Tree proudly offers authentic, Thai arts and crafts, handmade by community groups and independent artists. Treasures include award-winning, natural dyed and hand-woven Thai silks, natural cosmetics, vibrant paintings of Thai life and inspiring recycled sculptures, jewelry, toys and accessories. We are committed to Fair Trade, sourcing our products from over 30 social and environmental initiatives, including crafts cooperatives, women’s groups, ethnic minorities and artisans with special needs. We look forward to welcoming you.
Worcestershire
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Wonderful cause - great people!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We loved this shop and it's mission to give back to the community. It has some great items and the staff are so friendly. Please support them however you can. I'm drinking out of an elephant mug from here as i type!!

Visited September 2013
DtorDtae, Manager at The Family Tree, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Steve and Karyn,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review for the Family Tree, and for your encouragement.

We are all pleased that you like the elephant cup. It's interesting how drinks always taste better from cups which have a special meaning!

Safe travels and hope to see you again in Hua Hin,

Dtor and the Family Tree team

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Qualicum Beach, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabulous, Warm, Everything I was looking for”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

A shop that stands true to its name. The shop is gorgeous, warm and inviting. The owners are amazing. The Thai silk scarves are a work of art. The handmade soaps are delicous. I love that the artists are paid a fair amount, and that a portion goes to help the enviroment by planting trees. This shop is not to be missed. I loved it

1 Thank Debbie J
Dear Debbie,

Thank-you so much for your encouraging and enthusiastic review of The Family Tree.

We are very happy that you were inspired by our arts and crafts. Your warm impressions of our team also mean a lot to us. This is exactly how we hope that our guests will feel when they visit the Family Tree.

Safe travels, until the next time,

Dtor and the team
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Unique shop in a sea of tourist spots”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The Family Tree is an awesome place to find unique gifts in Hua Hin. I've been living in Thailand for a year and this is certainly one of the best places I've found to buy things that can't be purchased in literally every other store. The owner is fantastic, full of information about each piece and where it comes from. Displays are set up beautifully, with a nice selection of items. The fact that everything is fair trade and handmade from small businesses makes it all even better. I definitely recommend stopping in here for some gifts or for treating yourself!!!

2 Thank Bimson
Dear Bimson,

Many thanks for your kind review.

To find all of these unique arts and crafts, our team travels around Thailand, looking for community groups, artisans and social entrepreneurs who have beautiful products, sincere passion and an inspiring story to share. When the products, the artisans and their stories are beautiful and meaningful, they get onto our shelves. Often, we buy only a bag or a handful of crafts, made over several weeks or months, It's also a great adventure and a lot of fun for us.

We are always happy when a guest comes into our shop and finds that special work of art which has been waiting for them :-)

Enjoy your time in Thailand, and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Dtor and the Family Tree team
Melbourne, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Best shopping”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having read reviews on this shop and frustrated by the "typical" shopping in Hua Hin I decided to visit The Family Tree. I spent almost two hours in this lovely shop, browsing and talking to the owner. She explained where things had been made and how the were made, every item had a personal story to it and value that was not measured in the monetary way. I bought a lot of gifts here, I will be able to tell my family where the came from and the effort put into each item. I must say that everything was special, ebony used to dye a silk scarf that I bought for my daughter I hope will be a treasured gift for use throughout her life time. I walked out happier than when I entered. You need not look any further than this shop for your special Thai gifts. I know my family and i will enjoy these gifts for a long time to come. I have not even spoken about the community work the owners undertake using the profits, go down and meet them and learn how special this place is.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank LisaWalton
Dear Lisa,

What a lovely review! Thank-you so much for taking the time to write about The Family Tree.

It is inspiring to feel this sense of deeper value, when a work of art or a simple handmade craft catches our attention and communicates something to us. And, it's especially wonderful to find something which is 'just right' as a gift for someone who one loves, like your daughter.

In Thai culture, silk is a very meaningful gift. Silks are traditionally given as gifts to close family members on important occasions like weddings. Giving natural dyed silk is especially meaningful, because these traditions have been refined and passed down over many generations. Natural dying connects people, art and culture to nature. To sustain natural dying, local artisans must plant and care for trees, which plays a part in protecting the environment.

Buying these textiles is helps to keep this local knowledge alive, at a time when it is much cheaper and quicker for community members (who are buy like everyone else) to use chemical dyes from the markets. I'm sure that when your daughter knows this, she will treasure the silk even more. It is a gift which has meaning to you and to Thailand on many levels.

Happy and safe travels,

Dtor, Peter and the Family Tree team
UK
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A hidden treasure of Hua Hin!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We 'found' The Family Tree after eating in The Cool Breeze (excellent BTW). We spoke to Paul and his wife about the shop, how it came about and why it was set-up - the story was very interesting (and worth listening to). Each item for sale had it's own story and the provenance of each is sound. Go there.... Support the community.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Larry A
DtorDtae, Manager at The Family Tree, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Lazza,

Sorry for a slow reply!

So many thanks for your kind review of the Family Tree, and your recommendation.

Hope to see you again in Hua Hin.

Warm regards,