“Great fresh seafood”

ChaoLay Seafood
Ranked #91 of 755 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: There are a number of good restaurants along the wharf area. Saeng Thai is a very good option. We tried Chaolay Seafood as it was recommended by one of the local residents of Hua Hin. It was an excellent recommendation. Before climbing the steps into the main restaurant you pass a large selection of fresh fish. Once on the pier, there is an army of staff to seat and serve you. My colleague and I ordered a scallop appetizer, a whole fish main course and a large fried rice side dish. The food was very good and the pricing reasonable, less than $30 for all of the food and 4 beers. Chaolay is worth a visit.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Good food in convivial surroundings at great value - if your looking for fresh seafood at good prices and in a seafront location could do much worse that eat at ChaoLay. Particularly enjoyed Sea Bass and Fried Prawns on both occasions we eat at the restaurant. Would definitely visit again when in Hua Hin

5  Thank Paul B

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This was a restaurant recommended by many travel books (Taiwan and Hong Kong), as well as the leaflet from the hotel (Intercontinental) where were staying.

The staff was unfriendly and hardly smiled. I wasn't too put off by this as I was mostly there for food. But the food was even more disappointing. I don't think they were freshly made. I ordered some vegetables, curry crab, garlic shrimps, fried calamari and other food. The dishes arrived at our table in less than 5 minutes which I think was saying something about how they were made. None of the dishes had smoke coming out of them.

I observed other tables for a while and noticed even the fish served looked cold. Anyone with a bit of knowledge in cooking would not believe the food was made right before serving.

I must say I was thoroughly disappointed with the restaurant as a whole (both the food and the service) and would not recommend anyone to try this.

This is clearly an overrated restaurant. The price is not reasonable when compared to other restaurants in the area with better food.

4  Thank Emma F
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great place, great food. Wonderful family dining. Reminds me of how Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco used to be when I was a kid.

1  Thank Arizonan2013
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Charged 400 baths for a frozen and bad smelling fish !!! The service was bad and highly unfriendly. Stay away from this place !

1  Thank Frederic B
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Seating in this restaurant extends out over the Ocean, Awesome views. They pick up the days supply of seafood every morning from the fishing boats that come in to the very close pier. Shrimp the size of my fist, many varieties, can be purchased as part of a meal, or by the kilo. I ate here nearly every day for lunch or dinner. Everything Fresh, Crabs, Scallops, Shrimp, Fish, I ate 'em all! There's a definite difference in the taste when you eat FRESH, and the prices here are very reasonable by western standards. Six of us ate here daily, ordering everything I listed above, and more, soups, rice dishes and vegetables with every meal, and soda's, all for around $100 for the six of us, out the door! Easily $300 back in the USA. Service is Speedy, no fancy decor, just FRESH deliciously prepared food. The Tom Yum Goong was Fantastic!

2  Thank papaya1