“Cult status amongst Thais”

Madame Green (Jay Khiew)
Ranked #85 of 623 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Cuisines: Seafood, Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children
Hua Hin, Thailand
“Cult status amongst Thais”
Reviewed January 16, 2012

A restaurant that had its day in the 1980s walls covered in photos of famou thai visitors not many current ones. foods ok but well over priced i didnt get the appeal of the place just lik a seafront cafe not a very good area. Just didnt get it

• Visited December 2011

• Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Bangkok
“Overall a solid seafood/Thai restaurant, but in a no-frills atmosphere.”
Reviewed November 17, 2011

This is a review of my dinner here on 26SEP11 as a part of my 3 day stay in Hua Hin.

==> The Place:
Madam Green’s is a famous seafood place in the greater Hua Hin area. It is a very casual affair, with open-air seating on simple wood tables with seating or wood benches. There is no air conditioning but plenty of fans. As it’s right on the water there is usually a decent breeze but also a definite sea-water smell too. Not bad, but a strong ocean smell.

Food comes served on plastic plates and the napkins are plain tissue paper. So it’s not a pretentious place by any means.

One of the things I don’t care for; but is rather common in these types of “locals” places, is that while you’re seated outside vendors will come by and try to sell you lottery tickets and other things. While I find this to be a distraction from the dining experience, I recognize that it’s not uncommon here.

The restaurant seats about 150+/- and at peak times gets very busy. Reservations are not accepted. Parking is a bit hap-hazard but is provided at an adjacent empty lot.

There is lots of staff and food comes out quick. Table turn over here is fast. You’re not rushed out, but you won’t stay long either.

The wall at the entrance is plastered with photos of the owner—Madam Green herself who does work there nightly—and various Thai celebrities like actors, actresses, politicians, athletes and the like.

I’m generally a little leery of places that post so many photos, but in this case, I do think that the food is supported by the photos.

==> The Food & Menu:
It’s a seafood place fist, with strong Thai and Thai-Chinese influences. The food isn’t fancy or gourmet, but it’s done well, flavorful and in good portions relative to the prices.

The menu features a few appetizers like cracked crab, shrimp and the like, there’s a short list of soups—again mostly seafood based soups, and no salads.

Entrees are rather diverse with all your basic seafood represented—be that several varieties of fish, small crab, soft and hard-shell shrimp, and squid. All of these can be prepared in several ways.

Since this is a Thai place, they also have classic Thai dishes like all kinds of rice dishes—fried rice with fish, shrimp, crab etc.

==> The Service:
It’s a casual experience. You walk in and unless it’s crowded, you seat yourself. There’s plenty of staff walking around so once you choose your seats, or are seated, menus were brought over in less than a few minutes.

Food comes out pretty quick and the overalls service is no-frills but fast.

==> My Experience:
We elected not to have an appetizer but in stead order several entrees to share. We ordered a plate of crab fried rice, plate of steamed crab with spicy chili sauce, squid with garlic-chili, and garlic shrimp.

For drinks we stayed with bottled water and a Coke.

All our food arrived at the same time; in about less than :10 and was hot.

I’m not a huge squid fan (the texture for me) so I chose not try it, but I did have some of everything else.

The crab fried rice was good- not great, but good. There was ample crab and good variety between lump crab and shredded crab meat. The flavor was a bit mild, but it did have a distinct crab flavor. As is one of my pet peeves with fried rice, it wasn’t overly greasy or oily, a definite plus in my book. The serving was more than ample for two.

The steamed crab was good; but hard work. The crabs are a local variety, so small in size; about the size of your palm. As such, you spent a fair bit of time getting the meat out. But they serve the crab cut in half length wise which makes accessing the body cavity meat easier. I really like the green chili sauce as I found it wasn’t so over-powering that I lost the crab flavor.

Given the work involved, I’m not sure I’d order this again. However, this isn’t a reflection of Madam Green’s, but a feature of the size of the local crab stock.

For me, the clear hands-down winner of the night was the garlic shrimp. No “If’s and’s or but’s” about it. The shrimp were medium sized, about a dozen to the order, with shell and tail on, but de-veined.

They were cooked in a combination of garlic, butter, pepper and lemon… and it was FABULOUS! The shrimp weren’t overcooked nor ‘rubbery’, but were tender and the most flavorful I’ve tasted in a long, long time. The order comes topped with A LOT of extra fried, shaved garlic on top, but believe it or not, it wasn’t garlic over-kill.

The combination of the strong garlic was tempered with the creamy of the butter but also had a little ‘bite’ from the lemon—so a very nice balance of flavors.

Given there were only two of us, and the fact that we ordered four entrees between us; and finished them all; we elected to pass on their limited dessert menu.

Out total bill for the four entrees, with two bottles of water and two Cokes was B770; which in my opinion is a very reasonable price considering where we were, what we ate, and the quality and quantity provided.

==> Summary:
This is a very low-key, un-pretentious place. It’s open air seating with only fans. But the service is prompt and no-frills. The fanciest thing here is the new glossy menus.

While I’m generally apprehensive about places that have to post lots of photos as endorsements, I see why so many locals come here. It’s quick service food, well cooked in a family-friendly, fun and loud atmosphere and at a very decent price.

Like it is with all such "famous" places, they will have their fans-- and their detractors. Having never been before, and I went with an open mind. I come away being a moderate fan.. It's not the best I've ever had, but the for the price and quality it's a very good deal and the garlic shrimp was one of the best I've had in a long, long time.

==> PRO:
They have overall very good food. It’s a good price to quality/quantity proposition. The overall atmosphere is “No-frills”. They have a rather diverse seafood / Thai menu

==> CON:
It’s a little lacking in the “ambiance” department, not much in the way of appetizers or desserts. If you aren’t a seafood or Thai/Asian food eater, your options here will be very limited.

• Visited September 2011