“50 bhat for a water?” 2 of 5 bubbles

El Murphy's Irish Pub
Ranked #29 of 605 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, European, Thai, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hua Hins original Irish Pub.Open at 7am for breakfast & sports.Daily drink & food specials.Air-con bar & outside seating.Rooms from 600b.Live music nightly at 9pm.
manchester
“50 bhat for a water?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

I used to like this pub, but now after my last meal I have been put off.

I ordered a mexican style chilie and it was nice, but for around 230b it should have been. I looked at the menu for drinks and it was 50b for a water! Normally a water is about 20b in most places, so I decided against it. They brought me a glass of water later on for free with some ice, so I was happy about that.

Next time I went back, I ordered one of the specials which was Irish stew. Again it was not cheap, 220b (specials are meant to be cheap?) I said to the waitress, can I get a free glass of water the same as the last time? She came back and said no, sorry you can not, what would you like to drink instead? I told her that I don't want anything to drink as its far too expensive ad I only wanted a water! You can fill a 1 litre bottle here in Thailand for 1b from a machine. Well she said that they have to pay bills for electricity and wages etc - I told her that I am paying 220b already for me meal, its expensive.

The food was OK, nothing special. I did not get a 10% service charge and tax on top - I am not sure if that was a mistake or if it was because I ordered a special. If I got the tax and service charge on top, then I would rate it 1 star rather than 2.

I will go back for a chile as that was nice, but I will get a pint of Leo with it as its 90b a pint.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
EddyMurphy, General Manager at El Murphy's Irish Pub, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thanks for your reveiw Nick we will act on any feedback we receive.
As you stated there's no tax or service charge on any of our produces,weve never charged for service.
As for the water,our menus are incorrect on soft drinks they are all 20b less then the stated price,these menus will be changed when the new kitchen is finished.(water 550ml 30B).
I was home in Ireland when you visited,I like the idea of givingcomp. iced water to customers who are dining and I will start offering this,this week.
The water in the street machine ,is not clean and should not be used because they are not maintained or clean filtered.
Once again thanks for your reveiw and I hope to meet you on your next visit.

“You won't find a more crooked place”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Everything is a scam in this place. Ask yourself, how many other bars in Hua Hin add sales tax on top of the "already overpriced" drinks?
The menu purports to serve up imported cuts of beef and lamb but I can tell you the meat is sourced locally. Breakfast is greasy and awful, tea is extra, toast is extra, it'll cost you more than double the advertised cost once all the extras and tax is added on.
For expats that live in Hua Hin, El Murphys is a notorious rip off joint and a murkey establishment. It's almost as if you can feel your pockets being picked as you sit in there. Beware!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
EddyMurphy, General Manager at El Murphy's Irish Pub, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Here we go again,for 4 years now there has been a camplain on forums about El murphys and lies posted about tax,service charge etc,El Murphys has never charged service charge,ever,every bill is computerised and a copy is given to the customers.The same applies to tax,we are a limited company we pay taxes unlike most bars etc in Hua Hin,all taxes are included in the advertised price,and that is what is payed,the advertisied price.
You claim our drinks are over priced??a you having a laugh;cheapest guinness/kilkenny/stowford press in thailand for 4 years,pint of leo beer or bottle san migel 90 baht,these are the same prices as the local non tax paying beer bars and at least half the price of the other live music venue,and we still don't charge tax.
The menu purports to serve up imported cuts of beef and lamb but I can tell you the meat is sourced locally,,,,where can I get Thai lamb,hehe,another good one,,,,,if in douth we can show customers proof of orgin of our meats.
99 bath breakfast is that 99 bath again no tax,cheapest fry up in Hua Hin,,,but if you order extra pg.tips tea or fresh ground coffee,sorry but thats extra 30/40 baht and our breakfasts are cooked on a grill so they are fat free.
Most times we have a manager on duty,if you were here why didn't you bring your complaints to him,instead of making up lies and posting them here,tell us where the meat is sourced locally.
When we opened in 2005 bars in Hua Hin were dirty grotty and rat infested,we set out to change that and use westren standards alone the way,but not everyones been happy,compeitors and their friends started slander camplains on forums etc,the tax one is still running.
I cannot understand why some sad people set out to damage hard working businesses who go out of there way to damage the efforts of ourselfs and our staff,sad really.
As for expats,,,ask them your self,they are in Murphys everyday.
All I can say,try El Murphys,we put the customer 1st and if you are not happy ask to speak with myself or John and I assure you none of tohe above claims are true,see for yourself.
london
“Awesome,,,,,The pub has everything,,,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

I've just returned from Hua Hin where we stayed @ El Murphys.The staff and managment treated us like kings.Our rooms (750 a night) were good and clean.the bar itself is in the center of town.They have nightly rock music on stage,,great Thai band.Apart from staying there we did most of our eating and drinking there,the food was great with mains 150-450 for a steak.They have 7/8 draft beers on tap including guinness,I stuck to pints of leo beer (90b) and the misses had bottles of wine (700b).During the day there is early bird food & drink specials.There's about 14 big tv's showing all types of sports to the locals.The crowd was friendly and mixed.The beach is 2 minutes away.I cannot fault this place and will return.Note all our bills were computerisied and there was no tax added on anything,I recall paying 90B for a bottle of beer which was the norm for the whole town

• Visited June 2012
Canberra ACT
“Disappointed with this Pub”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

I have just read some of the other reviews of this place and I think I must have gone to the wrong place.

The Pub has a group called Stonehead and they play around 9pm most nights. On the night we were there we thought they were tired and pretty ordinary.

Beer is 110 baht for a small Heineken plus taxes so it comes to around 117 baht. The place smelt strongly of mothballs the night we were there and we didn't stay.

I guess every place has an off night and perhaps it was the night we went.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at El Murphy's Irish Pub, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Disappointed with your reveiw,,,,,We do drink and food specials all day,a pint Leo draft 550ml.@ 90b.,,,,,,,,,,,a regular priced heineken is 100b,not 110 and we do not charge tax or service on top of this price.
As for moth balls,,you've got me there,I've never seen a moth in Thailand,the main bar is air con and it is aired and cleaned everyday,if you were here in May you will recall there was a lot of rain.
Stonehead band have been playing together for 20 years now,but rock and blues isn't everyones cup of coffee.
Bunbury
“Great find in Hua Hin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Had lunch here and the place is wonderful, great food and service. Lovely clean restaurant and great diverse menu. An Irish pub that serves Mexican food, brilliant.