“BEST EXPERIENCE EVER HAD!”

Hutsadin Elephant Foundation
Ranked #10 of 98 things to do in Hua Hin
More attraction details
Owner description: As from 1st October 2017 we are proud to announce that trekking will no longer be offered at Hutsadin, instead we offer our visitors a range of activities that promote a close interaction with our elephants. In a safe environment for both elephant and visitor. Here you can take a bareback ride, walk with an elephant, shower and feed them or simply visit us. We also offer educational talks 3 days a week and a 3 hour mahout experience is available twice a week. Check out our website activities page where you will find full descriptions of the activities that we offer along with costs.
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend found out about the Elephant Foundation through Trip Advisor. On arriving we weren't sure where to go but were met by a lovely couple whom took us down to the Elephants. No question was too much for them. To have the opportunity to stand next to and feed these beautiful creatures was a "magical" experience. One we will never forget. We want to thank Will and his wife for taking us around. A great day that is highly recommended! ********

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

It was our pleasure to show you both around and introduce you to our gorgeous elephants. It always amazes us to see how these huge animals can always raise such an emotional response from just about everyone that comes into contact with them.
The retired ones were very grateful for all the lovely fruit we were able to buy them with your donation, the rest of the money will go towards medicines so thank you once again. :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)
All reviews
in 13 reviews
"an amazing experience"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2013

What a wonderful opportunity to spent time with the wonderful elephants and volunteers at Hutsadin it took my breath away it was a magical experience. We too as previous reviews state were greeted at the door and encouraged to purchase a trek experience. However, when we decided not to partake we were given our money back which we the donated for the upkeep of the elephants. The baby elephant was gorgeous and entertaining although I was uncomfortable with some of the things she was asked to do she obviously enjoyed performing many of the tasks (football, basketball etc) which we were assured was part of her exercise.
We were encouraged to interact with the elephants and I fell in love with the old lady and the pregnant elephant, can't wait to hear news of her baby. We were able to feed and wash an elephant and when we return will definitely book the mahout experience. Big thank you to Jo for spending time with us and sharing her extensive knowledge about the elephants and their background information. This is a must do experience for anyone interested in elephants take advice from this and fellow reviewers and book the mahout experience and definitely go on either Monday Wednesday or Friday when the European volunteers are there to make your visit extra special.

I'm so sorry that we were already booked for the mahout experience but I'm pleased to hear that the alternative we were able to give was enough to encourage you to write such a lovely review.
The question of the baby elephant show is always subjective, but as you pointed out she really does love to show off and can't get enough of all the attention.
Personally I defy anyone with a pulse to not fall in love with Tong Kam (our hopefully pregnant one) - she doesn't do tricks - she's just the most beautiful elephant in the world.
Thank you once again and don't forget to book well in advance for the mahout experience. :)

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Before we decided to go,we looked on the internet for elephant trekking in hua hin and this one definatly did not disappoint! We arrived and we booked our tour for the elephant trek.they said it eould be a 60minute wait which gave us time to learn about all the elephants and how they ended up at the foundation.jo and the guides were great.it was awesome to have the english speaking guide!they answered any questions and took us around to each elephant and told us all about them. We then got the chance to watch the baby elephant get washed.she was very cute and playful.the trek was great.we spent 800 baht for 60 minutes.in this time the mAhout was great.he didnt speak much english but made the trek fun and enjoyable.he took photos for us (lots of them) with us at the front of the elephant.he offered us some ivory but was not pushy at all.very friendly.we paid 100 baht for a basket of fruit to feed our elephant at the end of the trek.we also paid 250 baht for a photo but these things werent pushed on us.good value for money.we finished with complimentary icecream and the mini elephant show (all in the price of the trek) which was very up close and personal with the baby elephant.we got photos with her.overall i give hutsadin a 11 out of 10 and would recommend this trek over any other elephant tours in the area.the staff were friendly and you can easily see that the elephants are well cared for.great half day out!

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review.
It is always a pleasure to show people around and introduce them to our elephants. I guess having an English speaker to answer questions isn't something you would ordinarily get at most elephant camps in Thailand. Sorry to say we are only available on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday morning but we are always willing to spend time with interested parties.
I have to stress at this point that the jewelry that the mahouts try to sell is definitely NOT made of ivory and any tips that you give to a mahout does not go towards the upkeep of the elephants. Anyone wanting to give a donation can give money to the volunteers or put it in the donation box.
Thanks again :)

Reviewed September 25, 2013

So did I, but I'm not as mad about elephants as they are. The oldest "child" was 23 and she loved it too, so I think this is for everyone.

The trek was fascinating. As the three children had to go on one elephant, my oldest son had to play mahout and sit on the elephant's neck, which gave us some lovely photos, and the chance to rib him constantly about his elephant driving skills.

The youngest elephant was a real performer: you could see how much she was enjoying the interaction. She reminded me of our dogs (yes, really!) in that she responded to training well because it gave a her a function, or stimulation and intelligent animals maybe need something more than free food and somewhere to sleep. Anyway, the animals all seemed well-cared for, we enjoyed feeding and watching them, and the work of the foundations seemed valid and worthwhile.

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you for your review - you are totally right, children of all ages love to have an up close, safe experience with elephants.
Song Kran, our youngest is always the star and as you so rightly point out, she loves to interact and show people what she can do.
We love all of our elephants and give them the best care we can and it always makes us proud when people recognize that. So thanks again :)

See more reviews
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This was quite a last minute idea! Arrived in Hua Hin and wanted to do something different apart from usual trekking. I gave Jo a quick email and the response was very quick so we were able to sort out a date in no time at all. I paid 600 Baht for the experience day which is such good value for money considering you get to do so many activities with the elephants (and its all for a good cause). I was a bit apprehensive at first as I was on my own but Jo and her Husband made me feel very comfortable !
I was introduced to all the elephants and was told their rescue stories- which was very sad, but also amazing to see how far they’ve come with the help of this foundation. I was then shown around and introduced to the mahouts (who are a cheeky bunch!). Next I was able to feed some of the elephants their morning meal of fruit (a lot of fruit!) and even had the chance to cut some of it up. We then went for a walk around the grounds which was lovely. Along the way I was given more background information which was really interesting. Washing came next which was a very hands on experience and lots of fun! I was made to feel very comfortable and if there was something I did not fancy doing I was not pushed in to it at all. Its entirely up to you how involved you want to be with the elephants, especially if this is your first time. By the end of the morning I was so sad to say goodbye to the elephants 

I was then treated to a traditional Thai vegetarian meal cooked by of the locals which was delicious ! I highly recommend this experience package instead of the trekking as all the funds go directly to the elephants and they benefit more from this. The volunteers are doing a great job here and if i’m lucky enough to visit Hua Hin again this will definitely be my first stop! xx

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you for such a lovely review. Everyone at the foundation is pleased that we were able to make you feel comfortable and at ease.
You reviews and others like them are making the mahout experience so popular that we are now, unfortunately having to turn bookings away!
Really hope that you do get to come back one day :)