“A unique Thai experience that is off the beaten path”

Hutsadin Elephant Foundation
Ranked #3 of 94 things to do in Hua Hin
More attraction details
Owner description: As from 1st October 2017 we are proud to announce that trekking will no longer be offered at Hutsadin, instead we offer our visitors a range of activities that promote a close interaction with our elephants. In a safe environment for both elephant and visitor. Here you can take a bareback ride, walk with an elephant, shower and feed them or simply visit us. We also offer educational talks 3 days a week and a 3 hour mahout experience is available twice a week. Check out our website activities page where you will find full descriptions of the activities that we offer along with costs.
Reviewed April 28, 2013

While in Thailand we were interested in elephants and exploring something off the beaten path, well the Hutsadin Elephant Foundation met both of these criteria. We traveled by Bangkok to the foundation and were struck immediately by how unassuming and tranquil it was. The staff were friendly but not pushy and while they appreciate tourist support this did not feel like a touristy, commercial place. Being there on a Saturday morning there was only 1 other couple visiting the foundation. My friend and I went on an hour long elephant ride. At the time I was 6 months pregnant at the time, and quite reluctant to do so, I was told by the staff that riding an elephant would give good luck to me and the baby :)

I am pleased that I decided to go on the elephant ride as it proved to be a beautiful experience. First off, I was so impressed with the care and handling of the elephant by our guide. While there was a natural pathway throughout the sanctuary, our guide was so gentle with the elephant and we stopped whenever our elephant wanted to for bamboo. There was no rushing at all during our time together which was well over an hour. Our guide sang to the elephant and we enjoyed the peace and beauty of rural Huahin during this amazing elephant ride. Following the elephant ride we were able to purchase and feed our elephant bananas and then come in close contact with a baby elephant who did tricks and played soccer. Our visit ended by seeing other elephants who had been rescued and were living at the sanctuary but not giving rides. Our visit to the Hutsadin Elephant Foundation was highly memorable. There is no entrance admission to the Foundation but there is a charge for the elephant rides, and bananas. If you are interested in elephants and looking for a unique Thai experience off the beaten path, the Hutsadin Elephant Foundation is for you.

Joanna H, observor at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for visiting our foundation and taking the time to write such a lovely review, we appreciate all comments both good and bad:)
Good luck with the baby:)

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The girls in Tourist information office informed us that this was the best place to see and ride elephants, A nice taxi driver took us there for 300 baht, return (he stayed there whilst we had our visit).
We opted for the 1 hour ride, which was interesting. The elephant kept stopping to eat juicy leaves along the way, and the Mahout was fair with it, only prodding it gently when it was being naughty or a bit stubborn and stopping for too long or cheekily trying to change his route. These are big, powerful animals and the mahouts need to let them know who is boss in order to keep everyone safe. It's the same as with any animal; dogs, horses etc.
After our ride we washed the baby elephant which really enjoyed it. The baby brought her tip basket to us, but we choose to buy some more bananas and fed her those, as we enjoyed her taking them from us with her trunk. She gave us an elephant hug and the staff were happy to take lots of pictures, which we appreciated.
The Animals looked healthy and well looked after. We are glad we visited this place rather than the other place where you go in convoy with lots of other visitors and then watch a crocodile show. We felt that the money was being spent on animal welfare, and it wasn't too expensive. Good vale for an unforgettable experience, we thought.

Joanna H, observor at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

All of us at the foundation appreciate you taking your time to write your review.
It is so encouraging to hear when people have such an enjoyable and unique experience. We do try to offer a real 'hands on' and interactive approach to this sector of the tourist trade. Our main aim is to give these rescued elephants a better life whilst at the same time showing people what amazing animals these gentle giants are.
Hope to see you again one day:)

Reviewed April 27, 2013

We visited here on the recommendation of the girls in the tourist information center. Our taxi driver tried to persuade us to visit a more commercial place also near by but we stuck to our original choice and was very pleased that we did!
The visit was so much more personal, having enjoyed an hours ride on one of the bigger elephants, i then washed the younger one. I'm not sure who enjoyed it more, as the little elephant was rolling around to ensure i got in all the right places! We were then treated to a small show, where the young elephant showed off her tricks of hugs and kisses.
She was rewarded with lots of bananas bought by us and we left after partaking of the complimentary ice cream.
Fantastic way to spend a few hours!

Thank you for sticking to your plan to visit us at the foundation. We are so glad that you found the whole experience such an enjoyable one. Our young 5 year old is always the star actraction and she so loves all the attention and fruit!
Thank you to for taking the time to write this review, it is so helpful for potential visitors to has an unbiased opinion of us :)

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a wonderful couple of hours at this sanctuary, it's not glamorous or modern just genuine place where the rescued elephants are well looked after. We took an elephant for a walk, fed her, washed her and chatted to the guide who told us all about her and what she likes. You really got to interact with the animals who were more placid than I had expected. This sanctuary relies on donations so paying around £30 (1200 baht) for a couple of hours was no problem, especially as it was something we would never experience in England. The guide happily takes photos for you and although we were told his English was not very good we found him to be very easy to communicate with. If you are staying in Hua Hin it's about 15 mins taxi ride so easy to get to, we would definitely go again.

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the opportunity to walk with one of our gentle giants and we are pleased that you found it such a unique and enjoyable activity.
Although you didn't say in your review I'm assuming that you took Tong Kam (our hopefully pregnant one) for a walk, she is the most placid and friendly animal in the world right?
If she does have a baby in the next 6 months we will definately announce it on facebook, tripadvisor and our website. :)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

After reading through ALOT of reviews trying to decide where was best to see elephants in the Hua Hin area we decided the Hutsadin Foundation sounded like the best in terms of treatment of the elephants. Overall it was a fairly pleasant experience. It was a little awkward on arrival and we were the only tourists there at first- when other tourists arrived was a little more of a relaxed atmosphere. We paid 400BHT per person to wash the young elephant Songkran. We decided not to ride the elephants as we didn't feel comfortable doing this for our own satisfaction and not in the best interest of the elephants. But we really enjoyed the one-on-one time we got with Songkran whist giving her a hose down and a scrub for approx 10-15 minutes. During her bath she was chained from one ankle which i'm assuming is a safety thing but she was unchained to come over with a tip basket and to take some photos with us.
I have to agree with a previous review I read about the male staff acting a little off-key, I can see why they may have thought they had been smoking something! After bathing lovely Songkran I was asked if I wanted to buy some of the jewellery made from elephant teeth for about 600BHT I think he said, I declined and I have to agree with other reviews- once he knew I wasn't interested he muttered something to his mate and walked off seeming openly displeased leaving us feeling a little awkward. We walked round to the old elephants on our own accord and spoke with the keeper round there about them, one being in her eighties without sight or teeth and the other pregnant. Shortly after this we left so in total was only there for no more more 25 minutes. We saw approx 6 elephants there. It was all really clean and elephants didn't really seem distressed although I have not been to any other elephant places so I have nothing to compare my visit to.

We are so glad that you got to spend some time with Songkran and give her a shower and that you found that part of your visit a very positive one.
I can only apologize that you felt a little awkward with her mahout when you declined to buy his jewellery. This is something that we volunteers have tried to curb but to be honest with little success. I can only stress once again that you are under no obligation to buy anything or to give a tip and for future visitors please tell the manager if you are made to feel in any uncomfortable.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.