“Wonderful experience”

Hutsadin Elephant Foundation
Ranked #3 of 98 things to do in Hua Hin
More attraction details
Owner description: As from 1st October 2017 we are proud to announce that trekking will no longer be offered at Hutsadin, instead we offer our visitors a range of activities that promote a close interaction with our elephants. In a safe environment for both elephant and visitor. Here you can take a bareback ride, walk with an elephant, shower and feed them or simply visit us. We also offer educational talks 3 days a week and a 3 hour mahout experience is available twice a week. Check out our website activities page where you will find full descriptions of the activities that we offer along with costs.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We had a wonderful couple of hours at this sanctuary, it's not glamorous or modern just genuine place where the rescued elephants are well looked after. We took an elephant for a walk, fed her, washed her and chatted to the guide who told us all about her and what she likes. You really got to interact with the animals who were more placid than I had expected. This sanctuary relies on donations so paying around £30 (1200 baht) for a couple of hours was no problem, especially as it was something we would never experience in England. The guide happily takes photos for you and although we were told his English was not very good we found him to be very easy to communicate with. If you are staying in Hua Hin it's about 15 mins taxi ride so easy to get to, we would definitely go again.

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the opportunity to walk with one of our gentle giants and we are pleased that you found it such a unique and enjoyable activity.
Although you didn't say in your review I'm assuming that you took Tong Kam (our hopefully pregnant one) for a walk, she is the most placid and friendly animal in the world right?
If she does have a baby in the next 6 months we will definately announce it on facebook, tripadvisor and our website. :)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed April 13, 2013

After reading through ALOT of reviews trying to decide where was best to see elephants in the Hua Hin area we decided the Hutsadin Foundation sounded like the best in terms of treatment of the elephants. Overall it was a fairly pleasant experience. It was a little awkward on arrival and we were the only tourists there at first- when other tourists arrived was a little more of a relaxed atmosphere. We paid 400BHT per person to wash the young elephant Songkran. We decided not to ride the elephants as we didn't feel comfortable doing this for our own satisfaction and not in the best interest of the elephants. But we really enjoyed the one-on-one time we got with Songkran whist giving her a hose down and a scrub for approx 10-15 minutes. During her bath she was chained from one ankle which i'm assuming is a safety thing but she was unchained to come over with a tip basket and to take some photos with us.
I have to agree with a previous review I read about the male staff acting a little off-key, I can see why they may have thought they had been smoking something! After bathing lovely Songkran I was asked if I wanted to buy some of the jewellery made from elephant teeth for about 600BHT I think he said, I declined and I have to agree with other reviews- once he knew I wasn't interested he muttered something to his mate and walked off seeming openly displeased leaving us feeling a little awkward. We walked round to the old elephants on our own accord and spoke with the keeper round there about them, one being in her eighties without sight or teeth and the other pregnant. Shortly after this we left so in total was only there for no more more 25 minutes. We saw approx 6 elephants there. It was all really clean and elephants didn't really seem distressed although I have not been to any other elephant places so I have nothing to compare my visit to.

We are so glad that you got to spend some time with Songkran and give her a shower and that you found that part of your visit a very positive one.
I can only apologize that you felt a little awkward with her mahout when you declined to buy his jewellery. This is something that we volunteers have tried to curb but to be honest with little success. I can only stress once again that you are under no obligation to buy anything or to give a tip and for future visitors please tell the manager if you are made to feel in any uncomfortable.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

A must see if your in the Hua Hin area. Lots of energy needed, much better i guess in the raining season which is why we will go back to see it again. Use some insect repellent as you may get bitten a few times.

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

So glad you enjoyed your visit to us. The rainy season will be upon us very shortly and things will start to green up very quickly giving the elephants some much needed fresh grass to eat!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I read all the tripadvisor reviews before making my decision to go to Hutsadin. We arrived early at 9am to ensure my kids could ride the elephants. Warm welcome received. Informed about the prices. I read in one review that the cost per hour was 800baht per elephant (recent review also, 2 weeks ago). Suprised to therefore be asked for 600baht per person for 30 minutes (still had to pay for bananas and tip the baby elephant after its wash). I love to haggle but chose not to in this instance as it is a foundation. Down side for the foundation was that only the kids went on the elephant. I would have paid 1600baht for 2 elephants for an hour (even half hour) but not 2400 baht for 4 people for half an hour. Shame. We did get to wash the baby elephant which the kids loved. If it were not for the price and push (having paid full) to buy/pay more then I would have rated the experience as excellent. I notice someone called Joanne provides feedback to the comments left, good opportunity here for Joanne to clarify what the charges are.

There is one elephant that is 2 months from giving birth. Would be great to return to see this little one.

Readers, do not be put off by my comments on pricing. A great place to go. I am sure it is better than the commercial venues. My kids loved it and this was the one key thing they wanted to do in Thailand. As others have written, be clear to the driver to take you to Hutsadin not 'Elephant Village' .

1  Thank simon c
Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2013

Thank you for your review and for pointing out that the rates are not clear on our website - I have already passed this on to our IT person and this should be put right very shortly. I can confirm however that we are the cheapest for trekking in Hua Hin.
I think there was some confusion about our 'pregnant' elephant - we are not 100% sure that she is pregnant as she has only been with us for 15 months, we do know that she didn't get pregnant here, but so far she hasn't allowed any tests to be carried out. She has put on a huge amount of weight though so we all just have to wait and see, 2 months may be a bit optimistic though.
I would like to point out to all potential visitors that buying fruit for the elephant or giving the mahout a tip is definately optional and no one should feel pressurised into doing this.
We are so glad that you enjoyed the experience and please keep checking the website - if/when there is a baby the world will know:)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

If you don't plan to go to one of the National Park tours offered in Bangkok or elsewhere, this is a good place to experience an elephant ride. We took the hour option, which may be a bit too long. The mahout had control over his animal, so you can feel perfectly safe. At the end of the ride, it's amazing to watch the animal eat whole pineapples. To complete the visit, you can watch and participate in a show with Rosie, their 5 year old baby elephant. Lots of fun, so cute, she seems very smart.

Be aware, however, that it does not come cheap. I forget what the cost of the ride was for two, but it was worth it. However, the mahout will try to sell you some cheap trinket before the end of the ride. You probably should tip him. Also, you have to buy the pineapples to feed to your elephant. They will try to sell you ice cream. And of course, they have Rosie trained to bring you a tip basket. So this is probably why a half-hour ride is enough, especially if you are the only people there.

Do get your hotel to arrange a ride for you. Its pretty cheap, and, as this place is a little out of Hua Hin, you might have trouble finding it otherwise.

Joanna H, observer at Hutsadin Elephant Foundation, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

We are glad you enjoyed your visit to the foundation and meeting our elephants.
However there seems to have been a misunderstanding with the elephants name. Her name is SongKran not Rosie so initially I thought you had reviewed the wrong place, however I can see from the photo that you did indeed visit Hutsadin:)
The ice cream by the way was included in the price of the ride.
As a tip for potential visitors, it is not always cheaper to book a ride through a hotel! Visit our website for rates and range of options.
Thank you for taking time to review us.