“Large rooms, fair price, good breakfast”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Fat Cat Piano Bar
Ranked #496 of 623 Restaurants in Hua Hin
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Drinks, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Udon Thani, Thailand
“Large rooms, fair price, good breakfast”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Owned by a cozy mature danish jazzman. Serves good solid danish breakfast if you like.
Only stayed 1 nite passing through from north to south but we will definitely be back.
Very central location in relation to all the good restaurants on the piers. Large rooms with a/c at about THB 1000/nite. Good beds, good sleep, good service.

• Visited May 2012

Hua Hin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not a bad place but what a miserable owner”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights. The guesthouse is centrally located near the fishing pier and the rooms are reasonably priced. The staff during my stay were very kind and helpful.

The pier does get very noisy at night as this is where the local dogs like to congregate and howl through the night.

I found the Thai food to be very good, but the western food was of very poor quality. The breakfasts especially were made from the lowest quality produce. The coffee is as bad as I have ever had anywhere.

As I was sharing a bathroom with about five guys in the room next door who were using the bathroom for hours a day to wash, including hand-washing all their clothes and whatnot I sometimes had to use the shower/toilet in the lobby/bar area.

After one such trip I happened to sit down in the empty bar area while the owner was playing his nightly jazz routine. When I told the waitress I didn't want a drink I was told that the owner objected to me sitting there unless I ordered something.

Now I dont know if guests of the hotel are forbidden from sitting in the lobby/bar area at all times of the day or if this is particular to when the owner is playing jazz. Either way he either has serious delusions of grandeur over his musical talents or he's just plain miserable.

Needless to say I took my business elsewhere.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank PakBoong
Hua Hin, Thailand
“good breakfast”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

really nice little place situated directly across from the pier in Hua Hin, owned by a nice old danish jazzcat. They serve really good breakfast, nice scrambled eggs wityh homebaked buns, and real dark rye bread, and good cheese. incl. really good black coffee and orange juice for 145 THB, very reasonable I think. But I wish they would use freshly squeezed orange juice - then the package would be complete :)

Visited September 2012
1 Thank thomasjuul
“They have no service mind at all.”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The owner and staff are very rude!
Seem like they don't really care the customer.
This is the first resturants I have been to which have literally no service mind at all.
Never ever go back there again !!

1 Thank Seaandaman
Bangkok, Thailand
“Good location but average food, rude staff and bitter owner make this one to avoid.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've been to The Fat Cat for breakfast with my girlfriend a couple of times. The location is nice right at the fishing docks. I live here in Hua Hin and have lived in Thailand for 7-years.

We thought the food was OK by Thai standards, for a foreign breakfast, but nothing special. However, the owner was one of the most arrogant and standoffish people I've ever met in the restaurant business. The morning staff was pleasant and the location nice so, despite the owner, we returned a few weeks later in the evening for a few drinks and some jazz which the owner plays himself with a computer for accompaniment. We found the jazz to be mediocre and the evening staff to be *incredibly* rude.

My girlfriend who is very reserved and polite (and happens to be a restaurant manager) was treated by the female night staff as if she was a lesser form of life. We were well dressed and speaking Thai so clearly not tourists. When I approached the owner about this I couldn't believe his rude response. He said, in so many words that, "if I didn't like it the door was easy to find."

No wonder there was hardly anyone else there. We will not be going back.

• Visited August 2012