“Safari rip off”

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Safari rip off”
Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

We were taken to this place by our tuc tuc driver. He obviously was getting a drop from the owners. We paid 1500 BT pp £30 each for and HOUR. As I had never been on an elephant I thought why not. After 5 mins and nothing to see and was holding on for dear life as only kept in by a flimsy loose belt, I was bored. Consequently when we returned to start after only 35 mins I was not to bothered but wanted to war other travellers to beware. There are other better places to go we found out 15 mins 300bht.

1 Thank MalkimScotland

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“Expensive but the kids loved it.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Went here on 2/1/13. Recommended by our 5* hotel. Safari camp came & collected us & dropped us back to our hotel afterwards. When we arrived we were shown a menu of tours/shows available and chose just to do elephant 1 hour ride and show. So cannot comment on Crocs & snakes. Whilst the tour & elephant show is expensive at 1500 baht (£30 pp) for the over 11s the children really enjoyed it.

There was no pressure to choose one tour or the other but we opted for an hour's tour. we had 2 elephants as there were 4 of us. our 11 year old daughter was thrilled to be allowed to sit on the elephants neck and was shown how to steer it by the Mahoot. she was allowed to steer it for some distance with the Mahoot walking alongside. The show was gimmicky but the elephants all seemed willing participants and at no time did we see any mistreatment etc. conditions here are no different to other elephant camps we have been to in Thailand.

Yes they try and sell you more things, take photos to sell you etc and sell bananas in baskets for 100 bhat for the children to feed the elephants, but if you go expecting this, as we did, then there will be no surprises. The elephants were fed fresh grass, and regularly hosed down while we were there.
All in all an expensive 3 hours but an experience our children will always remember and cherish.

Would recommend if you are willing to pay.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank FOXYSKI
Hong Kong, China
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Not Bad- a bit run down”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We came here after a tuk tuk advert, and the moment we came we were ripped off with a crazy price. Eventually, my stand husband went quad biking, while I and my two daughters went elephant riding and crocodile and snake show.
the elephant riding was nice, as the guy was friendly, and bought us a banana to feed our elephant.
I have to admit, the croc show was scary. like, what happened if the crocodile DID bite the head off the man? Our children would be scarred for life! there was NOTHING stopping that crocodile killing the poor/crazy man.

1 Thank Strangerrdangerr
Bangkok
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Don't go there”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

I have been traveling to Thailand for over 15 years and this is the worst elephant farm, or safari, i have ever been to. 2000 bath per person for an elephant ride and some kind of show. The guy (who seemed to be in charge) was really rude and pushed people around as soon as we got out from the minibus. - COME HERE, THIS WAY, ELEPHANT RIDE HERE!! Then he presented som kind of poster and rambled thru some things that was included and ended up with saying, ok 2000 bath per person! We asked for a smaller package and he looked fussy and said -Ok 30 minutes 800 bath each, go now ride elephant.

As soon as we paid he pushed us up the stairs to get on to the elephant and start riding. We wanted to take care of some things before and he kept saying -ok elephant ride now, go.

I have never met a thai person behaving this way before and i wish I never do again.

I would never recommend this to anyone. There are some other places that offer elephant safari but the minibus drivers seem to have many reasons why you can't go there.

The minibus drivers probably have a good commission when taking people to this place and that's why most people end up there even though it's so bad.

My recommendation is to go to some of the other places cos i can't imagine it being worse than this.

This is my first review and I just had to write it cos they shouldn't be able to get people there hoping for a fun relaxing day with elephant safari, and ending up so disappointed.

Hua Hin, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Sad - not a safari, expensive and elephants not treated well”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We decided to go on a trip to see the elephants and the crocodiles/cobra show. I felt a lot of trepidation about it, because normally I do not like to see animals in captivity, particularly if they are not treated well but here in Thailand there are places which conserve animals and places which profit from them. Unfortunately we chose a place of the later. We took a taxi to the Hua Hin safari park and arrived 5 minutes before the show was due to start. The children were all very excited, especially after seeing the parrot and monkey when we walked inside. The price was extortionate – the equivalent of £80 british pounds (4,400 baht)! I don’t think we have ever spent as much on a morning out, and I hope we never again do). I would not have minded spending so much if the animals and staff were all cared for to a high level, but I regret I think this is not the case.

We rushed through to the show but before we went into the show, a man tried to force me to sit (WITHOUT TROUSERS!!! I was wearing a knee length dress) on the baby elephants back. He was very insistent and was trying to push me onto the elephant and I kept repeating no no no – I did not want to sit on the elephant with my little girl. After a few minutes he eventually left me alone, but as I turned I saw that our 6 yo had been made to sit on the elephant, I choked back tears as I saw him being carried off crying himself on the elephants back. I felt helpless as I was holding one of our toddlers, DH was made to sit on one with a toddler and he said he was struggling to hold on himself with her – I was caught between trying to help him and help our son. I got our son off, and he said he was okay – and then I turn around and the keepers are forcefully trying to get tips! I was quite annoyed after how much it cost to come in, after all that is 2-3 days budget for a family of five. My husband gave them 100 baht (£2) and then they tried to get him to give more money to the other elephant via its trunk, he said no. Now I realise that the reason they were so forceful is because they think it would get them more tips, like our dignity and choice is second place to profit – now I can empathise with the elephants.

I felt uncomfortable throughout the show – seeing these magnificent, majestic beings made to do all sorts of ridiculous stunts, it just demeaned them somehow.

The elephants rode bikes, burst balloons, painted pictures, played football, gave massages and danced and in between the crowd fed the elephants (100baht a bunch of bananas that usually costs a fifth of the price). At the end the elephants came around to the front of the seating area with baskets in their mouth with the keepers asking for tips. After spending 200baht on bananas we regret that we did not tip, I could see the frustration on the keepers face – and if we had been charged a fair price for entry and bananas, then I would very happily have tipped all the staff but we just don’t have that kind of financial freedom. We heard from a NZ couple that the staff were seen beating an elephant when they went.

We then went on to the crocodile and cobra show, and watched the snake trainer as the spitting cobras hissed and spat venom at him. Again we were asked to give more tips.

Two men came out for the crocodile show – they somehow hypnotised the crocodiles to keep their mouths open as they inserted their hands and heads inside. After they had finished we were asked again to give more money, we again shamefully declined.

Finally, we went on the elephant ride. I felt sad about this but it was basically next to free as included in the package and I have never tried it before. I’ll be honest – I found it quite scary! We were quite high up and I was trying to ensure my children were safe. Near the end, my elephant guide turned to me with a box of jewellery, he seemed uncomfortable but tried to sell me some, I have no money, I don’t carry it and I told him so as he slowly put the box away. I looked ahead and saw that all the guides were trying to sell their passengers jewellery – it was part of the experience.

Our son said that he would rather that they were trapped any other way than being chained by their feet – which is how they all stood whilst not being used. I would have prefered just to see them wondering in a more natural environment, doing nothing anything than happily being elephants. That is after all what a safari should be?

I reflected in the car that all the tips and the jewellery selling must be a commission for the staff, and that made me feel sad. I cannot be sure, but I hope that they are all treated fairly. I do what I can in life but also have to consider the financial safety of my own family, and this trip was frivolous enough.

4 Thank ms_verde-verde